Canada
Options

Inviation nightmare!

First I find out I didn't order enough cardstock, too late to order more. Then the printer shows me what it will look like...and they must have been using the oldest, crappiest printer in the world because it was pixalated so badly there were pieces of letters missing. I find an alternate printer (a friend of my moms boyfriend) who did it in exchange for a bottle of scotch. Yay, savings! Except he said he would do it in a week....it took him nearly three. So I was in a huge rush/panic to get them out...because I didn't plan for all these mistakes and I was behind. I send them out exactly 8 weeks before the wedding. I sent out 58 invites. Including the ones I was supposed to hand deliver, so they don't have stamps (not my shining moment lol!). No big deal, they'll come back and I can hand them out then, it was only like....3 invites, all for the wedding party. Instead, I get 25 of them back saying insufficient postage. The rest went  out just fine though, and were delivered promptly. Okaaaay...I just slid them back in the mailbox, someone had obviously screwed up. Then 10 came back again! Okay, fine, I'll add the extra postage. Over the amount they said I needed. That was 5 days ago. Tonight, 10 more came back. Half of them with the extra postage, and 5 NEW returns that I assumed were to be delivered shortly! All wanting DIFFERENT amounts of extra postage! I think Canada Post is insane. It is now less than 6 weeks to go to the wedding. my fiance sent this batch out again without writing down whose was returned so I can't call people and tell them why their invite hasn't come yet (it was mostly family). And my RSVP date is in 11 days because I wanted time to call those who didn't RSVP and my venue needed final numbers by Sept 10. So frustrated...

Re: Inviation nightmare!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Sorry that was so long!
  • Options
    sarah-bellasarah-bella member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i laugh when people apologize for their long posts and when i look at them think 'that's the size of one paragraph in my posts!'.  i could never be an editor!! sounds like you're having a really hard time!  i wish i could think of something to help, but with working in a mailroom i can tell you quite certainly that canada post is in fact insane!!i hope that you start to get rsvp's soon and can figure out who doesn't have the invite!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Well at least I have reassurance that they are insane. It was either that, or Canada Post was out to get me by failing to deliver all my invites lol. In the almost two weeks since the invites went out....two people have RSVP'd. Now, obviously there have been problems with delivery....but my own mother hasn't sent me her rsvp yet, and I know she got her invite. Or Canada Post lost her rsvp.....
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I took my invites directly to the post office to confirm that I had sufficient postage on them, and that they were good to go as is. This way I'm assured that Canada Post has no excuses to RTS. Also, I was wary that they'd get lost somehow if I just dropped them in the box.. not that I've ever had that happen or heard of that happening...But just to be sure, I wanted to see the post office clerk put them in the bin, and confirm that they were good to go. I have to say though, that it's odd that you would have different amounts of extra postage specified..especially if they all weighed the same.. unless you had to use different weights of paper to compensate for your paper shortage. Or if they were going to different locations... there are different prices for International, US, and even within Canada depending on what zone you're sending to.How frustrating for you though... If you get anymore back I would suggest going directly to the post office to resolve the issue, that way you know they're fine.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh no! how terrible! Im really sorry you've been screwed by canada post. beleve me, you are not the only one upset with the stupid post service! we actually just formally submitted a compliant to the ombudsman for an issue involving the craptacular mail "service" that Canada Post attempts to provide. I feel for you, and I send good wishes your way for a positive outcome. I agree with PP, take the envelopes to a post office and speak with someone...watch them weigh the envelope, and watch them put the cards into the slots. Also, request "hand cancelling", which will ensure that each envelope is counted by a human, and not a machine. Its not foolproof, but it is a little better than the traditional mail service. - Best!
  • Options
    trishinkstrishinks member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sorry to hear about your frustrations.I agree...there is something wrong with Canada Post.  I sent out about 65 invitations all exactly the same and then I had 1 returned saying insufficient postage???? Huh...why just one??
  • Options
    raynesraynes member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Dude, that sucks.And don't worry about your RSVP date being soon, most people just ignore that and send them whenever they want, or not at all (but I'm not bitter).Take a deep breath and just let it go.  There's not too much else you can do about it now.  If anymore come back, take them into a post office and politely wtf them.It'll be ok!
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow... that's ridiculous!
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ugh. I feel your pain. I'm just dealing with my invites now. Getting them printed this week. My brother designed them so no charge for that, but the printing is SO expensive. And I had to hunt all over the city for the right envelopes. I finally cobbled together enough but it's been a huge hassle. Even now, the colours are not quite right.I assume no one will care as much as I do that the envelopes are a slightly different colour than the invitations, but it's been driving me crazy!I have this whole month off and was planning on getting tonnes of wedding stuff done and I've done almost nothing. The wedding's in two months and I am starting to really stress out.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Speaking of crappy Canada Post.... Did anyone read in the Metro today about that man who rec'd a piece of mail that was sent to him 17 years ago!? It was sent out in 1992, and he just got it a couple of days ago in his mailbox... The delay you ask? The postal code was missing the last 3 digits... he he he!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    And another 4 just came back!!!! I will definately be going into the post office tomorrow to ask how an invite with ONE stamp got to Alberta a week ago....but an invite with TWO stamps (sent on the same day) can't get sent to the other side of Toronto. When another invite has already been delivered to the SAME address.There is no difference in the invites. Same cardstock, same number of pages, same amount of ribbon. I cannot understand how Canada Post could be so absolutely stupid.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hang in there! Somehow it will all work out in the end, but it sucks that you've got to deal with it!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I guess I shouldn't really complain. This is the ONLY issue I have really had to deal with. Everything else has been a breeze in 14 months of planning.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards