Canada
Options

Wedding Colour Scheme

Hello Canada Board Knotties! My name is Kellie, aka "Kelbelle". My fiance Colin and I are getting married on September 18th, 2010 (just east of Toronto) in Oshawa, ON. Some people consider September to be the Fall season, but officially our wedding date (September 18th) falls on the last weekend of summer, and in fact, the 'colours' on trees don't really start turning here yet at this point in the year - so we're probably not going to go with "fall colours" for our wedding day. Our reception is being held at a venue on the shores of Lake Ontario, so our chosen theme colour is: yep, you guessed it... blue! We both love the colour blue, and I especially love ocean blues and greens. The wall colour at our reception site is neutral (a light beige I think) and the middle of the reception area is hardwood floor. The carpet surrounding the perimiter of the reception area hardwood flooring is deep cranberry-ish/maroon-ish (?? I think). The rest of the woods in the venue are dark woods (e.g., the bar is dark brown wood; the various doors in the venue are dark brown woods). I am pretty sure that I'd like to go with either brown, beige, or ivory for our basic wedding colours, with blue accents or ocean blues and greens as accents. (The only thing I'm concerned about with using ocean blues and greens is that the venue is on a lake, and not actually an ocean!). My thoughts at this point are to go for the brown, beige or ivory neutrals for (e.g., table cloths, chair covers, sashes, napkins) and blues and/or greens for (e.g., flowers for my centrepieces, bridesmaid bouquets, bridesmaid dresses, table napkins, chair sashes, chair covers).... I am pretty sure that I want my bridesmaid dresses to be blue. I haven't decided if I should go with a variation of blues though (e.g., royal blue, teal blue, baby blue, navy blue - and let the girls choose their own style of dress and colour pallette).... Or if I should stick with one colour shade of blue (e.g., royal blue) and choose one style of dress (e.g., strapless style neckline for every one of my lovely ladies).... Any thoughts, comments, advice to offer????

Re: Wedding Colour Scheme

• Options
    ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Your colour scheme sounds lovely - very calm, breezy, and sophisticated, especially with a venue by the lake.I personally love the look of bridal parties in varying shades of the same colour, and in different style dresses. I love incorporating variaton because hey, every member of your BP is a different person, right? I generally like the idea of using varying shades of an accent colour throughout the wedding; I find that when a single shade it used too often, it makes me think, "OK I get it. Your theme is Tiffany blue, don't hit me over the head with it."Don't overthink or sweat the details too much. Yes, you can use fall colours even if it's "technically" summer, and yes you can use ocean blue even if you're on a lake.Welcome to the board! Let me know if you want to be added to the Canada bio (see announcement at the top of this board).
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm with ringy - coordinating colours in different dresses looks so fresh and lovely. I love that bridesmaids are moving away from the uniformed look.And there's nothing wrong with lake blue!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for your reply, ladies! You've helped confirm my ideas to go with varying shades of blue and different style dresses for my bridesmaids. P.S. Yes, please add me to the Canada site!
  • Options
    ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    colinandkellie I added you :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ringpop :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board