Canada

Help! I've fallen in love with a venue but it's 1 hour away

Hi
I wanted to know if anyone has ever planned a wedding or known someone who's planned a wedding out of town. I've fallen in love with this wine vineard about 1 hour from where I live and I'm afraid to commit to it for fear that it will be too difficult to plan. This venue is in a small town where as I live in a city with access to move vendors, accomodations for guests.....
I'm wondering if anyone has any advice. Should I go for it or should I play it safe and stay closer to home?

Thanks,
Chantal

Re: Help! I've fallen in love with a venue but it's 1 hour away

• unplainjaneunplainjane member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i am getting married in vineland and i live in toronto. so it's over an hour away. so far in terms of planning it hasn't been any trouble at all. i just do my research for vendors online and my venue has provided me good vendors too. the photographer we have is based in toronto so it was no problem meeting with her. before the wedding i'll probably go back 2-3 more times to oraganize stuff but it's not that inconvenient. so i say go for it : )
  • edited December 2011

Thanks for the advice! I'm thinking having it at a winery would provide such great backdrop that I would have to fuss over any decorations really. Any tips for decoration outdoor weddings? I think we'll have to have ours under a tent in the vineard.

thanks again!
    chantal
  • unplainjaneunplainjane member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    one wall of our venue room is completely windows and overlooks a ravine so besides flower centerpieces and candles we're not having any additional decorations. we figure the view is the decoration : ) as well we're splurging on the food so don't have much money for decorations. but check out the other boards i'm sure people have lots of tips for outdoor tent decorations. good luck!
  • Sunny0710Sunny0710 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am planning my wedding in Muskoka, and I live 3.5 hrs away from there in Kingston. Similarly to PP, the venue had a list of recommended vendors in the area and I found a photog willing to travel. I say, if you like the venue, go for it!
  • edited December 2011
    The winery should probably be able to help you find vendors that they've worked with for weddings before, and maybe they could recommend a hotel nearby for guests.
  • APW2010APW2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm in Toronto, and cermony & reception are in Burlington/Grimsby, so an hour when there's no traffic and much longer usually. It hasn't been much of an issue, some vendors I am booking in Toronto and they are willing to travel, others I am using local options. While there's less selection locally, it is usually cheaper and in some ways since I have fewer options it is a lot easier to make a decision than in Toronto where the options (and research involved) are endless. And my venue was really helpful in giving me info on vendors in the area.

We're also keeping our decorations very simple as the scenery is the real draw. Just small flower cp and candles.
  • edited December 2011
    We're having our wedding in Metcalfe, and live about an hour away in Barrhaven, and it's turning out okay so far... our venue has a listing of vendors that they recommend, and the last time I was there I took a TONNE of pictures so I'd be able to plan decorations and such. 

I really don't think it's a huge deal to have one that's not right on your doorstep, as long as you're able to go visit it a couple of times, or your vendor is able to help out and provide suggestions.

M.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards