Canada

Ottawa Wedding venue help!

Hi Ladies,

I am new to the boards because I recently got engaged. I am planning to get married likely next fall in the Ottawa area;  however our church is south east of Ottawa (Metcalfe area) and we are looking for a venue around that area or at least between there and the south end of the city. Somewhere in Metcalfe, or around the racetrack area, toward South Keys or maybe even south of Orleans.. not sure.  We don't want out of town guests to have to travel all over town for our wedding and they will likely be staying in the city, so we are not opposed to a reception in the city either but of course budget is a major concern. I'm also not a huge fan of big ballrooms...

Our guest list is going to be about 150.

I am wondering if anyone has ideas of where we could go. There are a couple golf courses but not sure if any are better than others. Other than that I can't really see many options. :( I like the idea of something out in the country since we will be there anyway for the ceremony, but it doesn't seem like there is much out there.

Ive heard of Stanley's maple farm, but it has mixed reviews that I have seen so far.

Any thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated! It is overwhelming!

Re: Ottawa Wedding venue help!

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_canada_ottawa-wedding-venue-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:46Discussion:9091cb73-5abb-449b-98a9-bc92f2467155Post:8058e37a-4905-459b-ab04-5a6887c1652f">Re: Ottawa Wedding venue help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]What about Rockcliffe Park? <a href="http://www.canadascapital.gc.ca/property-management/permits/weddings" rel="nofollow">http://www.canadascapital.gc.ca/property-management/permits/weddings</a>
    Posted by utterrandomness[/QUOTE]

That would be beautiful but that is only for ceremonies. We are looking for a reception site.
  • edited July 2012
    Strathmere is good but somewhat expensive.  Have you looked at some of the sugarbushes or how about Orchardview ?  What time of year is your wedding?
  • edited July 2012
    Thank you for the ideas. Strath mere is too far for us to have people go from the church. Orchardview I've been in touch with but they weren't too keen on my daytime reception idea an even informed me that I would be costin them profits so I wasn't too happy about them after that. We are looking at late summer or fall.
  • How about the metcafe golf club or one of the sugar bushes in the area.... you could also look at the legions.  Mind you they are usually outdated.

Will most of the guest be staying in Metcafe?  If not, maybe look for a place closer to Ottawa.  The military messes down town are cheap and nice inside... and close to most hotels and photo locations

• I just booked myself in at GreyHawk. It's a lot cheaper than Stanley's, but still has a nice rustic feel to it.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_canada_ottawa-wedding-venue-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:46Discussion:9091cb73-5abb-449b-98a9-bc92f2467155Post:5405be9f-3b3b-4d2f-98b3-0739367b2c11">Ottawa Wedding venue help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi Ladies, I am new to the boards because I recently got engaged. I am planning to get married likely next fall in the Ottawa area;  however our church is south east of Ottawa (Metcalfe area) and we are looking for a venue around that area or at least between there and the south end of the city. Somewhere in Metcalfe, or around the racetrack area, toward South Keys or maybe even south of Orleans.. not sure.  We don't want out of town guests to have to travel all over town for our wedding and they will likely be staying in the city, so we are not opposed to a reception in the city either but of course budget is a major concern. I'm also not a huge fan of big ballrooms... Our guest list is going to be about 150. I am wondering if anyone has ideas of where we could go. There are a couple golf courses but not sure if any are better than others. Other than that I can't really see many options. :( I like the idea of something out in the country since we will be there anyway for the ceremony, but it doesn't seem like there is much out there. Ive heard of Stanley's maple farm, but it has mixed reviews that I have seen so far. Any thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated! It is overwhelming!
    Posted by lisa&arthur[/QUOTE]

Stanley's will work with you if you are firm in letting them know what your budget is. I used to work with one of their wedding coordinators (Susan) a few years ago, and she's really great. I found when we were first talking to them they really beat around the bush on pricing - but I was firm in telling them I would consider other venues if I couldn't get direct costs. I've seen many weddings done there though, and every one is gorgeous!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards