Canada

ontario catholic church dress code

how common is it in ontario catholic churches do you need to cover your shoulders? i've been to many catholic weddings and the girl always wear a strapless dress. just wondering if you've been to a wedding where the girl had to cover her shoulders.

Re: ontario catholic church dress code

• ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I can't speak for Ontario, as I really think it varies by parish. I attend a pretty progressive church downtown Toronto and my priest had no problem with strapless dresses. But I went to a Latin mass wedding at a shrine in Scarborough and I'm pretty sure there was a rule to cover up.

Personally, as a bride, I wouldn't bare my shoulders at any kind of cathedral or shrine, but check with the priest. As a guest, I wouldn't bare my shoulders at all. (It makes no sense, I know... but the only strapless attire I'd ever feel comfortable wearing in a church is bridal or bridal party attire. I always cover my shoulders and knees in church otherwise.)
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting married in a Catholic church and our priest doesn't really care at all about dress code.  There is no air conditioning in my church and so everyone is in tank tops, etc., in the summer months just for regular mass.  I am wearing a strapless dress in our church and so are my bridesmaids.

If you are concerned, check with your priest.  None of our dresses are low-cut or revealing in the cleavage or length sense either - that could make a difference!

PS - my church is St. Patrick (Dundas & McCaul) if that helps at all!
  • edited December 2011
    Ditto to Ringpop and Littlin.   I am getting  married in the Catholic church, and I checked with the parish before getting my gown. You could always get a jacket or a wrap make to go with a more revealing dress.
  • edited December 2011
    Ditto everyone else. I am getting married in the same church as Littlin so our priest is super laid back. BUT! I went to a wedding in woodbridge once and EVERYONE had their shoulders covered, and I mean everyone and it was obvious that everyone was covering up so I had to borrow FI's suit jacket - so embarrassing! I totally missed the memo!!!
  • edited December 2011
    I guess it would depend on the church.  Where I'm from (northern Ontario)  most guests/brides wear strapless or dresses showing shoulders and I've never heard of it being a problem.

Depends on parish I guess.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards