Canada

Registry, Honeymoon Registry or Money

Hey. I have an issue. My fiance and I are going to be working in Asia after we get married. We might be there for the next couple of years. We are not sure what to do about the registry. We are thinking it's impractical getting guests to buy us things we will have to store for a few years. He is from England and we will be moving there once we are finished in Asia so it adds another issue. We thought of doing a honeymoon registry but we just found out we will be leaving almost right away so we will have to postpone our honeymoon.  I know asking for money is a faux pas but at this point we have no idea what to do. Help.

Re: Registry, Honeymoon Registry or Money

• edited December 2011
    I was invited to a wedding and they simply said in a cute poem that they have been living together for a long time, their house is filled wtih things they need. No gifts please.
    You don't have to specifically say cash only, just no gifts. Most people would still want to give you something, so they'd opt for a cheque or cash.
    Is there a way you could mention you'll be moving to Asia right after the wedding and can't take anything with you? People would respect that.

Maybe other people have some ideas.
  • ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Generally it's considered poor etiquette to mention ANYTHING about gifts in the invitation, even if it's to request "no gifts". It indicates that you assume that they are getting you gifts, which you technically shouldn't do in the first place.

(I know if I saw anything like that in an invitation, I'd be all, "YOU CAN'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO!" Heh.)

Either don't set up any registry, or a very small one. When people ask where you're registered, explain your situation to them. Hopefully the people close enough to you to be invited to your wedding, also know about your situation? Most people will get the hint, but accept the fact that some people will insist on giving you a gift anyway.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • silversparkssilversparks member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had a similar situation (international moving and no need for extra housewares). I agree with Ring Pop that etiquette would frown on talking about gift giving in the invitation. I think your best bet is to set up a small registry (luggage and other travel gear? netbook or other small portable electronics? linens so that you have something that's "yours" and that you can bring with you on your travels?) and then if/when people ask what you prefer, you can tell them.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • pavingtheroadpavingtheroad member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have family and close friends spread through word of mouth about your situation. I'm sure guests will understand your situation
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    My Planning Bio
    123image 64image 35 image 24image RSVP Deadline: June 15, 2010
  • edited December 2011
    I'm in the same boat as you.  Not looking for gifts as we have most of what we need already and would like to save money for a down payment on a house.  We've made a small registry for those that insist getting us SOMETHING but we are writing "Presentation Accepted" on the invitation.  I know it's bad etiquette but we're spreading the word that we want to buy a house.  If people don't want to get us anything, that's totally up to them.

My mom put "presentation accepted" on her wedding invitation 36 years ago so I'm just following her lead!

All the best! 
  • ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    To be honest, I'd have no idea what "presentation accepted" means. Actually, I still don't really.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • edited December 2011
    To ring pop: Google it
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards