Christian Weddings
Options

Jesus fish

What would you think if you saw this emblem on the back of someone's car?

I've been pondering this for a while... won't give you my thoughts yet.

Re: Jesus fish

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Well, that's a Darwin fish so I would assume the owner of the vehicle was a huge supporter of evolution. 

As far as Jesus fish go, I would never put one on my car. I find them cheesy. Not only am I a self-admitted bad driver and would just give people one more reason to dispise Christians, I don't know that it would mean anything in terms of "witnessing." It's not like someone is going to see the fish and think, "Oh hey, they're on to something." 

PostCeremony-131.1
  • Options
    fpaemp2011fpaemp2011 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Yep.  That's a Darwin Fish.  I have a Jesus fish on my car, and it keeps me accountable when I'm driving.  I don't want to cut someone off and have the first thing they see be the fish...or the Christian radio bumper stick.  
  • Options
    DramaGeekDramaGeek member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It wouldn't bother me, but then again I'm one of those crazy liberal Christians who actually believes in evolution.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_jesus-fish?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:07d92451-c694-4d16-9fb9-bbcae5f7961fPost:3555f3e0-d4e6-4d06-b19f-473810fed7f2">Re: Jesus fish</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Well, that's a Darwin fish so I would assume the owner of the vehicle was a huge supporter of evolution.  </strong>As far as Jesus fish go, I would never put one on my car. I find them cheesy. Not only am I a self-admitted bad driver and would just give people one more reason to dispise Christians, I don't know that it would mean anything in terms of "witnessing." It's not like someone is going to see the fish and think, "Oh hey, they're on to something." 
    Posted by RebeccaJac[/QUOTE]

<div>This, and as for putting the Christian fish on my car, I wouldn't. I don't like things on my car, in fact my parking permit on my car bothers me.</div>
    imageAnniversary
  • Options
    ravenrayravenray member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

Yep that would be a Darwin Fish.

I really don't like Bumper stickers that say you are obviously one thing or another.  I have an icon in my car but you would have to know what an Orthodox icon looks like to know it was Orthodox.  But that is just me.

"Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• Options
    naomikbnaomikb member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Okay, well I would call it a Jesus Fish With Feet, but if it is called a Darwin Fish then I'll go with that.

I guess my question really is.... would you think that person is a Christian who believes in evolution or someone mocking Christianity?
  • Options
    iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I usually think that the person is probably not a believer in Christ and that it is their expression of that fact.  I know that's not true in every situation, but wasn't the Darwin fish created by athiests?  

It is my opinion that having the Darwin fish on a car is less an expression of evolutionism and more an expression of anti-Christian thought.  I could totally be wrong but that's what comes to my mind when I see one.  And then I say a prayer for the person.  Again, not because of their belief in evoutionism vs Christianity, but more because it makes me think that they don't believe in God.   And if they don't believe in God, that makes me incredibly sad.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't believe that every person who thinks that evolution happened is a non-Christian.  I believe in some aspects of evolution and I'm a Christian - I don't think the two are necessarily in conflict.  That said, I tend to associate the fish with feet as an atheist/humanist symbol, just because of it being a play off/mockery of the ichthys as a Christian symbol.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_jesus-fish?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:07d92451-c694-4d16-9fb9-bbcae5f7961fPost:f8a02a2b-0174-40c2-952b-3279c7bce549">Re: Jesus fish</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jesus fish : This, and as for putting the Christian fish on my car, I wouldn't. <strong>I don't like things on my car, in fact my parking permit on my car bothers me.</strong>
    Posted by drama1308[/QUOTE]

<div>Bugh. I have one for school and one for my neighborhood and it's driving me insane! </div>
    PostCeremony-131.1
  • Options
    naomikbnaomikb member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_jesus-fish?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:07d92451-c694-4d16-9fb9-bbcae5f7961fPost:35f3a436-6957-4dda-b8b3-2223866e5a21">Re: Jesus fish</a>:
    [QUOTE]I usually think that the person is probably not a believer in Christ and that it is their expression of that fact.  I know that's not true in every situation, but wasn't the Darwin fish created by athiests?   <strong>It is my opinion that having the Darwin fish on a car is less an expression of evolutionism and more an expression of anti-Christian thought. </strong> I could totally be wrong but that's what comes to my mind when I see one.  And then I say a prayer for the person.  Again, not because of their belief in evoutionism vs Christianity, but more because it makes me think that they don't believe in God.   And if they don't believe in God, that makes me incredibly sad.
    Posted by iamjoesgurl

I don't believe that every person who thinks that evolution happened is a non-Christian.  I believe in some aspects of evolution and I'm a Christian - I don't think the two are necessarily in conflict.  T<strong>hat said, I tend to associate the fish with feet as an atheist/humanist symbol, just because of it being a play off/mockery of the ichthys as a Christian symbol</strong>
    Posted by marinabreeze
    [/QUOTE]

Thanks for your opinions, that's where I was going... when I first saw it I kind of liked it (I believe in evolution and simultaneously believe in Christ, I don't think they are in conflict) until I found out it is more of a mockery/anti-Christ symbol, which made me sad.  I just wanted to know if I would be making a faux-pas if I considered using that symbol.
  • Options
    ravenrayravenray member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_jesus-fish?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:07d92451-c694-4d16-9fb9-bbcae5f7961fPost:4872e1fe-52d8-4ba1-afcb-fdb1367c1154">Re: Jesus fish</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jesus fish : Thanks for your opinions, that's where I was going... when I first saw it I kind of liked it (I believe in evolution and simultaneously believe in Christ, I don't think they are in conflict) until I found out it is more of a mockery/anti-Christ symbol, which made me sad. <strong> I just wanted to know if I would be making a faux-pas if I considered using that symbol.</strong>
    Posted by naomikb[/QUOTE]
    <span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:115%;font-family:'Times New Roman','serif';">I think you would be considered an atheist by people just driving by.<span>  </span>I wouldn't worry about it too much though.<span>  </span>I don't take bumper stickers too seriously.<span>  If you want to have it then do it! </span></span>
    "Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_jesus-fish?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:07d92451-c694-4d16-9fb9-bbcae5f7961fPost:35f3a436-6957-4dda-b8b3-2223866e5a21">Re: Jesus fish</a>:
    [QUOTE]I usually think that the person is probably not a believer in Christ and that it is their expression of that fact.  I know that's not true in every situation, but wasn't the Darwin fish created by athiests? <strong>  It is my opinion that having the Darwin fish on a car is less an expression of evolutionism and more an expression of anti-Christian thought.</strong>  I could totally be wrong but that's what comes to my mind when I see one.  And then I say a prayer for the person.  Again, not because of their belief in evoutionism vs Christianity, but more because it makes me think that they don't believe in God.   And if they don't believe in God, that makes me incredibly sad.
    Posted by iamjoesgurl[/QUOTE]

That's my thinking exactly. The Christian fish came first and then an evolutionist created the "Darwin fish" to mock the Christian fish.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I too, tend to associate Darwin fish to be anti-Christian rather than pro-evolution&Christian. The Darwin fish is a "play" off of the Christian fish, so I don't see it as being neutral toward Christianity. Either way, I hate any bumper stickers/magnets. Like PP, I hate even having my parking permit hang from my rearview mirror.
  • Options
    FaithCaitlinFaithCaitlin member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it does mock the "real" Jesus fish.

That said, I'm not totally offended. Let people think what they will. 

ETA: I hate putting stuff on my car too, haha! 

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Theistic Evolution is a very valid way to approach creation, however, I don't know that a Darwin fish necessarily communicates that belief. Moreso than anything people would probably view it as a statement of beleiving Evolution over Christianity-- not both. 

Buuut if you want a bunch of Christians praying for you, it might be the way to go ;) 
    PostCeremony-131.1
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    [QUOTE]This, and as for putting the Christian fish on my car, I wouldn't. <strong>I don't like things on my car, in fact my parking permit on my car bothers me.
    </strong>Posted by drama1308[/QUOTE]

Me too!!  I even scraped off (carefully) the sticker decal that says "Dodge Neon" on my hatch.  :P

[QUOTE]<strong>Okay, well I would call it a Jesus Fish With Feet, but if it is called a Darwin Fish then I'll go with that.</strong> I guess my question really is.... would you think that person is a Christian who believes in evolution or someone mocking Christianity?
    Posted by naomikb[/QUOTE]

Bahaha my first thought was, "A crocodile?"  Then, "Oh!!  A fish with feet!!  Weird."  Now that I know what it is - still weird.

I wouldn't put it on my car either, even if I did like stuff on it.  I have two keychains with my key - a Jesus fish and  John Deere tractor.  It's there for me personally to reflect on and keep myself in check - not for me to be self concious of when I do something wrong on accident and feel like the world is judging me.  Too stressful.  :P
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_jesus-fish?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:07d92451-c694-4d16-9fb9-bbcae5f7961fPost:263faf73-8be2-49f0-a100-cea0a620de0e">Re: Jesus fish</a>:
    [QUOTE]Theistic Evolution is a very valid way to approach creation, however, I don't know that a Darwin fish necessarily communicates that belief. Moreso than anything people would probably view it as a statement of beleiving Evolution over Christianity-- not both. <strong> Buuut if you want a bunch of Christians praying for you, it might be the way to go</strong> ;) 
    Posted by RebeccaJac[/QUOTE]

LOL :)
  • Options
    BMcLeodTeamBMcLeodTeam member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I also am of the mindset that I think it was created by atheists to "mock" the jesus fish and be anti-Christian. I could be wrong...

That being said, I am someone who does have things on my car, but not a Jesus fish. I find that its something that as PPs have said isn't really going to help anyone else. Unlike some of the awareness ribbons that are just designed to remind people a disease exists, you're not trying to convince them of anything about the disease at that point, just remind them its there. I don't think we need to just remind people with a Jesus fish, there's more to 'witnessing' to someone then just saying 'Hey, Christianity exists'...

I will admit to having an Ovarian Cancer awareness ribbon on my car though lol
    And a Support the Troops ribbon, but that's been there from the 6 years I did in uniform my self, so no one seems surprised I have that lol
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards