Christian Weddings

Question of the Week - Your Wedding Date

I thought I would start a question of the week thread.  I'll do a new question each week.  So here is the first question...

When are you getting married (or if married, when did you get married)?  Was there any significance to the date that you picked?

Re: Question of the Week - Your Wedding Date

• iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We got married 10/10/2009.  There was really no significance for the date.  

We had originally wanted to get married in May or June but the place where I really wanted to get married was only available in April or November.  It is in Upstate NY so I was afraid of snow in either of those two months and there wouldn't be leaves on the trees.  So we decided to look elsewhere and after much frustration (not finding anything meeting my very specific criteria) and much prayer, I called back to tell them that we didn't want either of the dates but if something else was to open in between the dates, we'd like to be contacted.  When I called, the wedding coordinator there told me that a couple had just canceled and asked if we would want October 10.  It was definitely a God thing because although we wouldn't have thought of getting married in the fall, it ended up being the perfect time for us.  God is so good!
  • edited December 2011
    Our wedding will be July 9, 2011. No significance really, other than FI's favourite number is 9 lol. However, within the last couple weeks we have been talking about moving the wedding up due to possible out-of-town jobs and a bunch of other factors, but as of today we are still getting married on July 9 :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Fi and I are getting married June 4, 2011. I wanted to get married in late May but there were too many conflicts. June 4 just seems to be the best date, it allows for family to be there and it works out for many people especially my parents. Also FI and I are both still in school and I wanted to get somewhat used to marriage before starting back in school in the fall. It's neat that my future in laws will have all 3 of their kids married within two years of each other (FSIL was 2009, FBIL 2010 and we are 2011)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • fpaemp2011fpaemp2011 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    June 11, 2011

We picked it because it's far enough from graduation to give us some time to get last minute stuff done AFTER school is over, it'll be after my brother and FSIL are on summer break, and with FI's birthday 9 days later, we didn't want his birthday, our anniversary, and eventually Father's day to all be that close together. 

6/11 is special to me because my late grandfather helped build the 611 Steam Engine for Norfolk & Western Railways after W W II. 
  • edited December 2011
    I am getting married on November 19, 2011.  It doesn't really have a lot of significance for us.  We were originally going to get married in May of 2012, which neither of us were crazy about, but we wanted to wait until FI graduated college. 

Well, some financial good news came in and some academic bad news came in around the same time.  We found out that we would be able to afford a wedding sooner that May 2012, and that FI would probably graduate in summer 2012 (instead of spring).  There was no way I was putting off the wedding for another 3 or 4 months, especially since that would make it August, and we live in the South and that's hurricane season.

So we decided to move the wedding up.  I didn't want to do it this summer, because (1) I don't want to get married in the summer, and (2) that was a bit too soon.  But I didn't want to do it in December (after the fall semester ends) because I didn't want it to be too close to Christmas.  We also wanted to be able to go on our honeymoon immediately after the wedding.

We decided on Thanksgiving break.  We are getting married on the Saturday before Thanksgiving and going on our honeymoon the next day.  It is almost exactly 6 months sooner, and FI won't miss much school.  Perfect.
    image imageimage image

My Blog

Anniversary

100/100 books read in 2012
    17/100 books read in 2013
  • MissyCeeMissyCee member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I got married on September 11th, 2010. The date (while of course significant in American history as an anniversary of the 9/11) was exactly 2 years after Brian and I first talked to each other. We weren't originally planning on using that date, we actually wanted an October wedding, but it wasn't possible between the church availability and reception venue availability. We were offered a discount rate for the 11th, and we picked it, and realized it was two years to the day we met and spoke to each other.

Wedding day, the sun was shining, temperatures were perfect, and even the park where we went to take pictures was nearly empty, leaving us to take pictures as we pleased (which almost never happends) We have no doubt God blessed our wedding day!  Laughing
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    July 16, 2011

We had to choose a weekend after FI finished one of his 6-week online masters classes, and wanted to also go at least a month after some good friends of ours plan to wed (their wedding is June 4, 2011), and both of them are in our WP, so we wanted to be sensitive to them.  In addition, I am a middle school chorus teacher, and it is much easier to get time off during the summer!  :-) 
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • Purple&7Purple&7 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We want June 23, 2012. The date doesn't have any significance other than I always wanted to be a June bride!
  • edited December 2011
    We are getting married May 24, 2012.

The significance behind the date is that we wanted a May wedding and his sister is getting married this May. So we put it back a year and our dating anniversary falls on the 24th of each month. My FI has a ridiculously bad memory and he jokes how he won't forget our wedding anniversary now (since it will have been our anniversary date for over 4 years by that time) Wink Other than that when people ask why so long we just say that it gives us time to save for our wedding and honeymoon.
  • edited December 2011
    My FI and I will be getting married May 7th of this year. It's funny. Because when we first got engaged I was very clear I did not want a May wedding. When we finally set the date back in October, I couldn't imagine any other month.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We are getting married May 21, 2011. Ah! It is getting close. We are getting married the Saturday after undergrad graduation. I actually finished my degree in Dec. but Wake doens't have a Dec. ceremony, so I'll sitll walk with him in May. But he has ~2 weeks to recover from finals, then graduation on Monday, rehearsal on Thursday and wedding on Saturday! We are hopefully doing a grad program that would start in June, which would be a few days after we get back from the honeymoon, so it ended up being perfect timing although we didn't know we'd do this program when we set the date.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mattycammattycam member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are getting married March 25th, 2011. There is no significance to the date other than it's off season so prices are lower :)
  • edited December 2011
    We're getting married on August 6th, 2011. We wanted to get married then because FI will be graduating with his BA the week before and I am going back to school on the 23rd for my senior year at university-this allows us to  have time for our hawaiian honeymoon and for me to move my stuff into our place :)
  • edited December 2011
    We're getting married June 4, 2011.  There isn't any significance to the date.  We wanted to get married ASAP after FI's graduation, but not THE weekend after or Memorial Day weekend.  We don't want to wait too long b/c FI's residency will start at the beginning of July.
  • edited December 2011
    When are you getting married?  October 8, 2011

Was there any significance to the date that you picked? 

My grandfather died on October 9, 2010.  FI's grandma's birthday was on October 7th. (she's also in heaven). the 8th is right between both of those dates.

My parent's anniversary is on 8-10, so it's sort of cool that mine will be 10-8.

I wanted to have it the following weekend on 10-15, but that's my exboyfriend's birthday, and I had strong feelings for him (I still do a bit - but he's married with at least one child now) and I don't want to remember him every year on my anniversary.   

Another cool thing is that 10=8+1+1 (i love numbers and stuff)

Both of us love the month of October. My favorite number is 4 and his is 2 (so 4*2=8) 

There's lots of reasons and special significance of 10-8-11. 
  • edited December 2011
    we're getting married on June 12, 2011. no specific reason really, but it's after i graduate, but we're not waiting till after FI graduates since that would be wayyy too long for us to wait. plus we wanted a summer wedding and time to get settled into life together before he starts up school again.
  • GJones27GJones27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    May 29, 2011.  I wish it were May 28, as that is the anniversary of my FI and me.  But my grandfather passed away that day, so we are doing the 29th.  Also, that's the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend, so people can travel.  The reception hall was cheaper that day, and it's perfect timing between my FI finishing up the first year of business school and him starting his summer internship.
  • DramaGeekDramaGeek member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We got married Dec 14, 2002.  There was no significance prior to it being our wedding date.  We picked it because we needed to get married during a school break since we were both still in college.  We got engaged Oct or Nov 2001 (we still argue about when we got engaged!), and knew we weren't ready for an August wedding.  We also didn't want to wait until Aug 2002, so we picked Christmas break to get married.  Dec 14 was the saturday after finals.

(or so we thought.  The calendar changed after we set our date and it was suddenly the Saturday before finals.  Oops.  Thankfully I was able to get my profs to agree to let me take my finals early)
  • MrsTucker2011MrsTucker2011 member
    edited December 2011
    Getting married Sept. 10, 2011! 9/10/11
    We thought it was fun, and one of my BM's pointed out that FI and I started dating in '09, got engaged in '10, and now are getting married in '11. So now it all kinda goes together, haha.
    Anniversary An engaged woman is always more agreeable than a disengaged. She is satisfied with herself. Her cares are over, and she feels that she may exert all her powers of pleasing without suspicion. All is safe with a lady engaged; no harm can be done. ~Jane Austen BabyFruit Ticker
  • iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    edited December 2011
    MrsTucker - I love that (dating in 09, engaged in 10 and married in 11 - 9/10/11 for your date)!!
  • edited December 2011
    Getting married June 4, 2011. No significance to the date. Looks like I'm sharing a date with at least 3 ladies on this board :)
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    we were married 2-21-09.

i wanted an off season wedding to save money, and january was too soon after the holidays and march was lent.  so this was the last saturday in feb before lent started that year.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards