Christian Weddings
Options

Wedding Vs. Marriage

Just curious - the title of one of the books suggested really got me thinking.  Do you and your FI talk about your life after the wedding?  I think we have so much invested in this wedding that I realized I forget sometimes we should talk more about the day after. 

We are doing counseling -which I love!  We have talked about kids.  And we joke about alot of other stuff - I guess I'm just wondering what it will be like to actually be married.  Proverbs 31 talks about how a Christian woman should be its just one of those things that still feels so far away for me (its only 3 1/2 mths away).

Anyone else in awe of what it's gonna be like to be a good Christian wife?  I know we have several married women on here already  - if anyone wants to share some words of wisdom - they are greatly appreciated!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Wedding Vs. Marriage

• Options
    fpaemp2011fpaemp2011 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    It is weird to think that in a little over a year, I'll go from the oldest of three, only girl, babysitter, and college student, to FI's wife and (if schools are hiring) a teacher.  My home wasn't a Christian home until I was 10, and dad wasn't really a leader until I was sophomore in college, so I wasn't raised the way I (we) want to raise our kids.  I've been spending time with Christian wives who both work and those who stay home, talking to some of my friends who have married youth pastors, and all of these women have brought up topics that we've never thought about.  I have to be prepared for a 2am phone call from a kid from church who needs help, weeks in the summer when he'll be gone on mission trips and youth camp, and until we have kids, we'll both be working, so we need to figure out a system for housework before I stay home.  I'm really looking forward to pre-marital next semester so we can really dive into these topics. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    FI and I talk more about the marriage than we do about the wedding. We both know the wedding is a day and the marriage is a lifetime so we are more focused on our lifetime together.

We started the first of two 10-week pre-marital courses offered by our Church last week and already, it has us talking about some things we haven't touched upon in the past.
    The other great thing like PP said is that we're going to be paired with other married couples from our Church who will serve as our mentors. I am looking forward to it because while both of our parents have been married 35+ years, it'll be good to see marriage from another point of view outside of our immediate family.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    SeleenaJulietSeleenaJuliet member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're not in the planning stages right now.  So there is definitely more talk about marriage than wedding details.  Even though he's Catholic and I'm Christian, we've talked about major life issues and how we'd like to approach the different phases of life and our expectations of each other. 
  • Options
    DanielleB80DanielleB80 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Both of us know it's about the marriage, a life long commitment  and the wedding is one day. But since he has been gone I have focused a lot of my time on the wedding. Partially to stay busy and because there are a lot of (DIY) things I am making so our wedding day reflects our spirituality (Off topic, but it is amazing as to how little Christian wedding themes, paper, etc. is NOT out there). 
    I'm looking forward to counseling and marriage preparedness classes because our entire relationship has been long distance. We have gained much strength for this reason but I know we are lacking in other areas.
    Thankfully I was raised in a Christian family and my parents were good role models. He wasn't as fortunate but accepted Christ a while ago. He is a great man and loves God. We know that during our marriage there will be tough times and he reminds me that as long as we keep Christ first we can overcome anything.

Wedding Countdown Ticker imageGraphics
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We have been focusing on the marriage... We pretty much have the details down for the wedding day but we have from almost day 1 of our relationship have been talking about our expectations in regards to marriage, we've also been doing pre-marital counseling and it really has shown us that we have been focusing on the right things all along.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We talked a lot about marriage before we got engaged. Now we talk more about the wedding but we both are really looking forward to the marriage (and the honeymoon) more than the wedding day itself.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

at first i was more worried about the day, but we since slowed things down the marriage is more important to me. A pastor once told me to not worry about the day , butspend time on the marriage because equipting the marriage is gonna make you have a successful marriage.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards