Christian Weddings
Options

Mediums/Psychics

I'm watching that show on TLC called "Long Island Medium", out of boredom. But it got me to thinking...what do you think about these so called "mediums"? Personally, I don't believe they are actually speaking to a spirit. From what I've learned from the BIble/church, is that spirits do not actually stay on earth or communicate here, correct? Anything taking the form of something spirit-like is really a demon in disguise.

So I guess I feel like even if these mediums come up with correct info about a passed loved one, it could easily be a demon feeding information to try and get these people to believe in ghosts/earthbound spirits.

Am I crazy? Just wanted a Christian perspective on this.

Re: Mediums/Psychics

• Options
    iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's all incomprehensible to me.  I guess I've always believed like you that if there is any truth to it, it's possible that the spirit is a demon (who are fallen angels).  Satan desires to deceive us and this would be a way to draw people into the occult.  It just doesn't feel right to me.  I guess it's one of those questions I'll have to ask when I get to heaven.
  • Options
    fpaemp2011fpaemp2011 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    You're not crazy.  Ghost sightings, spirits talking, etc are all demons trying to decieve and firghten people.  Demons and spiritual warfare are very real, which is why it's a realm that should never be toyed with, but when your piano starts playing at 2am, it's not the angry former homeowner.  He's either worshipping in Heaven or suffering in Hell.  It's a demon messing with you.  

As for psychics/meduims, they're either crazy or talking to demons.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In the Bible a medium(witch) talked with the spirit of Samuel at Saul's request, so I do think it's possible.  But, I also think it's very wrong which is why Saul was rebuked and he had a lot of hardship for trusting in a medium instead of God.  I don't think we are to have anything to do with that; it's dabbling in things that are not of God.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, what you ladies are saying is what I was trying to say but wasn't sure if it came out in a clear way. :) It bothers me that people take this as legitimate Godly or spiritual interaction. It seems people start to buy into it once the medium or psychic tells them something about the dead person that the pyschic couldn't have known otherwise (something about a secret they knew, or whatever). I think that is just a demon taking that spirit's real information and making it seem like the dead person speaking to the medium. I would not take comfort in hearing anything a medium had to say about my dead loved ones.
  • Options
    SoonToBeGenaoSoonToBeGenao member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have always had a very strange/weird feeling in the pit of my stomach telling me that those things aren't right. I agree 100% with you girls.
    There's only 1 way 2 say those 3 words and that's what I'll do... I love you Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I actually watched something on TV a while back about how psychics are basically trained to read body language and have you give them information that you don't realize you're giving them.  Then they repeat that information back to you, and you think they've come up with it on their own.  And if they're having a hard time reading you, they'll often use generalizations.  Like pretending to talk to a man's dead mother and telling him that his mother wants him to know that she loves him.  Well duh, that line would work on anybody.

ETA:  This reminds me, once a long time ago a local radio station had a psychic on the air that you could call in and get a reading.  (I think it was a one-time deal, not a regular segment.)  My aunt called in and was very careful not to give any information.  So the psychic used a generalization:  she said my aunt should expect a pregnancy very soon.  My aunt said, "HAH!  Shows what you know!  I can't get pregnant!"  They hung up on her real fast.  My aunt never did get pregnant.  My cousin is adopted.  ;-)
    image imageimage image

My Blog

Anniversary

100/100 books read in 2012
    17/100 books read in 2013
  • Options
    mattycammattycam member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I totally agree that these things that people like to dibble and dabble into is not of God and we must use discernment satan and his demons come in deceptive and disguising ways.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sessions -- Yeah, I've read things about how psychics use tricks to get people to believe. I mean, on a reality show like the one I was watching, I had no way of knowing if they coached the people beforehand or not (which they probably did). But even if someone DID believe they were speaking to spirits (instead of just trying to read body language and the like), they are probably actually involving themselves in something evil or not of God, or what have you. I'm glad to see I wasn't totally off base with what I had learned. :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_mediumspsychics?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:1bb9072c-b639-42e7-9962-65d89d5a03ecPost:92a62671-375b-48e7-8a25-ce1c2e06df3f">Re: Mediums/Psychics</a>:
    [QUOTE]I actually watched something on TV a while back about how psychics are basically trained to read body language and have you give them information that you don't realize you're giving them.  Then they repeat that information back to you, and you think they've come up with it on their own.  And if they're having a hard time reading you, they'll often use generalizations.  Like pretending to talk to a man's dead mother and telling him that his mother wants him to know that she loves him.  Well duh, that line would work on anybody. ETA:  This reminds me, once a long time ago a local radio station had a psychic on the air that you could call in and get a reading.  (I think it was a one-time deal, not a regular segment.)  My aunt called in and was very careful not to give any information.  So the psychic used a generalization:  she said my aunt should expect a pregnancy very soon.  My aunt said, "HAH!  Shows what you know!  I can't get pregnant!"  They hung up on her real fast.  My aunt never did get pregnant.  My cousin is adopted.  ;-)
    Posted by sessionswedding[/QUOTE]

This is all very valid!! Have you ever watched the show "Psych" the main charachter is a fake Psychic detective who only uses his gift of amazing observation to fool people into believing he's psychic. I think the other girls on here are absolutely correct... anything like that cannot be from God. It reminds me of a quote by J.R.R. Tolkien from the Lord of the Rings series.. in the first book when the hobbits where wondering if they should trust Aragorn... I dont remember which but one of them said... "I feel like something from the enemy would look fairer, yet feel fouler"... I couldnt have put it better myself!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_mediumspsychics?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:1bb9072c-b639-42e7-9962-65d89d5a03ecPost:baeca0de-de3a-4cfd-9339-cebc175e94ac">Re: Mediums/Psychics</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mediums/Psychics : This is all very valid!! <strong>Have you ever watched the show "Psych" the main charachter is a fake Psychic detective who only uses his gift of amazing observation to fool people into believing he's psychic.</strong> I think the other girls on here are absolutely correct... anything like that cannot be from God. It reminds me of a quote by J.R.R. Tolkien from the Lord of the Rings series.. in the first book when the hobbits where wondering if they should trust Aragorn... I dont remember which but one of them said... "I feel like something from the enemy would look fairer, yet feel fouler"... I couldnt have put it better myself!
    Posted by briannamarie87[/QUOTE]
    I LOVE that show!  Haha.
    image imageimage image

My Blog

Anniversary

100/100 books read in 2012
    17/100 books read in 2013
  • Options
    FaithCaitlinFaithCaitlin member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_mediumspsychics?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:1bb9072c-b639-42e7-9962-65d89d5a03ecPost:a7603e5d-a91c-4f66-b995-a16a565e9d41">Re: Mediums/Psychics</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have always had a very strange/weird feeling in the pit of my stomach telling me that those things aren't right. I agree 100% with you girls.
    Posted by SoonToBeGenao[/QUOTE]
    Agreed!!

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    tinaklingtinakling member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_mediumspsychics?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:1bb9072c-b639-42e7-9962-65d89d5a03ecPost:685654e6-5501-4044-b0f7-7b2d4f1aaf42">Re: Mediums/Psychics</a>:
    [QUOTE]In the Bible a medium(witch) talked with the spirit of Samuel at Saul's request, so I do think it's possible.  But, I also think it's very wrong which is why Saul was rebuked and he had a lot of hardship for trusting in a medium instead of God.  I don't think we are to have anything to do with that; it's dabbling in things that are not of God.
    Posted by lulubella2011[/QUOTE]
     Agree with you, and yes there are also familiar spirits.  I think to not beleive that the enemy is able to decieve in such ways is being ignorant, there is for sure another realm and spirit.  But as christians our father God, Christ and the Holy spirit is ominipotent and we need not to seek or beleive in any other entity.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards