Christian Weddings

Marriage Prep?

Hey....
My FI and I are looking to do pre-marriage prep in the San Antonio, TX area.  My question is that we are both Christian.  I am Catholic and he is Methodist.  We want something that is religious, but I don't think I can do marriage prep through the catholic church if we are not getting married in the church.   We are having a chaplain marry us.   Any suggestions on marriage prep?

Re: Marriage Prep?

• edited December 2011
    I really liked the book "Things I Wish I Had Known Before I Got Married" by Gary Chapman. Of all the books that we read it was the most helpful.
    imageAnniversary
  • DramaGeekDramaGeek member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You could always see a Christian marriage counselor.  Or, do you attend church together?  See if the priest/minister at your church would do it, even though you aren't being married by him/her.  Last thought, talk to the chaplain who is marrying you and see if he/she does any premarital counseling.
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with DramaGeek.
  • edited December 2011
    i really really enjoyed the book called '7 things to ask yourself before (and after) marriage.' by Les and Leslie Parott. 
    It has a woman's workbook and a man's workbook. 
    it has been sooo amazing! Our marriage mentoring has been based off this. (:
  • iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I found ours by looking for people certified to do Enrich/Prepare.  Basically you take an inventory (a bunch of questions) and FI takes the same one.  The facilitator takes the results and learns of some areas to counsel on.  It might be finances, communication, or any number of other topics.  We loved our facilitators (it was a couple) and the counseling was free through them.  We did give them a gift certificate for a nice restaurant at the end in appreciation of their time.

Here is the website.  Maybe you can find someone here:

(I searched zip code 78201 and got a bunch of hits within 15 miles so I think you'll find something here.)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards