Christian Weddings

Hello! and a neat idea to share...

First, let me say I am so glad to finally see this board!  Yay!  My name is Meredith and I'm getting married on June 26 in central PA (less than 3 months!!).  I grew up Methodist, but now FI and I are regular attenders at a Baptist church in town (though it's an independent baptist church, so there's nothing really baptist about it besides the name).

Anyway, I wanted to share a neat idea with you ladies that I came across a few months ago (I already posted about it on the ceremony board a while back, but thought it would be approprate to mention here) - it's called the Unity Cross.  It's a little bit pricey, but it's something full of meaning that you can take home and display in your house somewhere after the wedding.  You can google it to find where to buy it or read more about it, but here's the general idea:

"The Unity Cross is a multi-piece sculpture that is assembled during the Unity Service of your Wedding Ceremony representing how the Two become One. The Groom places the outer Cross in the beautiful wood base as the Pastor explains how God created man- Bold, Strong, the Defender of the Family yet how he is empty and incomplete without the woman. The Bride then places the more delicate cross inside of the Grooms cross as the Pastor explains how God created Woman- Delicate, multi-faceted, taking care of all of the little things that completes the man, and the Two become One. The Bride and Groom then use the 3 golden pegs to lock the union(cross) together in the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit as the pastor exclaims that: What God has brought together let no man take apart. Then the Unity Cross is taken home and displayed as a Daily Reminder of your Wedding Day and the Covenant that you both have made."

Re: Hello! and a neat idea to share...

• edited December 2011
    i have not seen that before !!!  thanks for sharing!
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    I've just stumbled across this particular board.  I had no idea it was here!  Silly me! 

That's a beautiful idea.  I googled it and the offical website has a video on the unity cross.  And a great keepsake, like you said.
  • edited December 2011
    Great Idea - thanks for sharing I'm going to check it out.
    My Planning Bio - updated 4/19/10
    Our Wedding Teasers
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    243 invited image 170 Said YES image 45 Can't party US image 28 Haven't heard from image Invitations sent out on 4/6/10 - Our RSVP date is 5/15/10 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
  • edited December 2011
    Oh my gosh!  I love that!  But it's so expensive... any place to get it for cheaper?

~*~Sarah~*~ Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • desi2002desi2002 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ohhh I love it! any way to DIY?
    BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic me and my daddy
  • edited December 2011
    LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!!! I've been torn about what I want to do...unity candle, unity sand...and neither one really felt right. I think this is what I will do...thanks so much for sharing :)

(you would do this instead of unity candle right?)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I am sooo in love with this idea.  I showed my fiance the God's Knot a few months ago (from the scripture "a cord of three strands is not easily broken") so we bought that one.  He holds the brass ring and i braid it.  The cords represent, man and woman with God at the center of their relationship.  Now I want to do the Unity Cross instead, lol. 
    He that findeth a wife, findeth a GOOD THING!! small2 small Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    Yes, we're doing this in place of a unity candle or sand ceremony or any of those things.  It is pretty pricey, which made me think twice about it...but it's a really beautiful sculpture that we'll display in our home for years after the wedding, so we decided it's worth it!
  • sweetpea0911sweetpea0911 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey, thanks for the idea!  J's uncle is a carpenter, so we're going to see if he can build us one.  J was kind of blah on the whole Unity candle idea, but he's excited for this, so kudos to you for getting my FI excited about something in the ceremony besides "I Do!"

***raise your glass if you are wrong in all the right ways***
    oh noes, sweetpea UPDATED her planning bio

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • felkelsfelkels member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Okay, if my ceremony did not include candle lighters (two girls walking down the aisle with candles and lighting all but the unity candle) and the fact that I already have the candle as a gift from FH's mom...I would totally do this!  it is pricy but beautiful and I love it!  hmmm....no, I have to keep my original plan!
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you for this idea. We will use this instead of the unity candle or sand. This feels so much more appropriate and real for us.
    AAW June Siggy Challenge
    My Daddy and Me Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    If you order it through getmarried.com, use the promo code "NM09" to get $20 off!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards