Christian Weddings

A "con" of working with your spouse

H is my master carpenter in the theatre. He was there today building sets, so after rehearsal I helped him finish some things. He was talking to me about something and I had to go to the bathroom, so I told him to hang on. Instead he followed me into the bathroom! I said, "what are you doing?!" He got all embarrassed and said, "I forgot we're not at home." At home we're very much open door bathroom people, but I don't think that would fly at work!

Re: A "con" of working with your spouse

• LOL. That's actually kind of cute. :)

DH and I would not make good co-workers. I doubt we would ever get anything done. We like chatting too much.
  • Lol I think that is cute :)

I work with FI but not closely.  He is really paranoid about us having a platonic relationship at work so he annoys me but if it makes him happy, I just have to live with it.

"Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_con-of-working-spouse?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:56d5dc62-1b24-497e-a0b7-8842dc0dd911Post:b9aedbb1-0acf-4e2c-9296-fefa3212d026">Re: A "con" of working with your spouse</a>:
    [QUOTE]LOL. That's actually kind of cute. :) DH and I would not make good co-workers. I doubt we would ever get anything done. We like chatting too much.
    Posted by azdancer8[/QUOTE]

<div>We chat while we work, when we're actually working together.  If you want to get technical I'm his boss since I'm the artistic director, but lines get all kinds of blurry in the theatre and we've had years to figure this out, so it works well.  Most of the time, though, he's working on his stuff and I'm working on mine.</div>
  • Ryan hasn't figured out what he wants to do necessarily (he's a student; he last worked as an office manager) but one of his passions is counseling. He's been a volunteer hotline counselor before. We've discussed the possibliity of him becoming a Christian counselor... but when he envisions it he pictures me doing it with him, like us doing couple counseling... and I admit, I'm not sure about that. I have my own interests. We'll see.
    My blog
    "I will greatly rejoice in the LORD, My soul shall be joyful in my God; For He has clothed me with the garments of salvation, He has covered me with the robe of righteousness, As a bridegroom decks himself with ornaments, And as a bride adorns herself with her jewels." -Isaiah 61:10 NKJV
  • FI and I own a business together. I can't imagine any better situation! Rather than getting stuck not seeing each other everytime a business trip comes up, we get to road trip together, enjoy a new city, stay at a nice hotel.... as for the day to day stuff, it just helps us bond that much more :) I completely understand the 'I forgot we're not at home' thing... sometimes its easy to forget where you're at when its with the same person lol
  • mattycammattycam member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011

H and I are thinking of starting a side business together but do not work together at our respective full time jobs. I know it works for some but I also know it is best for others to work separately especially if one tends to take their work stress home with them.

• That's really funny.

I don't think H and I could work together, we need our time apart.
  • That's funny!! 

Luke runs a company that his dad owns (so I guess he helps run it) we talked about working together, but I think we would either drive each other nuts or never get any work done. 

We can work on projects together at home, but I don't think having the same job would work.
    imageAnniversary
  • That's funny!

H and I could maybe work together, but we would need separate hobbies or something. We cannot spend that much time together.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    2010: 41 books, 2011: 31 books, 2012: 100 books
  • There's a job opening for a program coordinator at the hospital where DH works.  It's his program, so while we would't be working together (he's a pediatrics intern, but I have no medical training) we'd have the opportunity to see each other.  I'm thinking about applying now that my part-time job is finished.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Too cute!!

FI hopes to become a teacher. When he does we'd love to work at the same school! 

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_con-of-working-spouse?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:56d5dc62-1b24-497e-a0b7-8842dc0dd911Post:24565087-37d0-4c9f-9bdc-278132e6b848">Re: A "con" of working with your spouse</a>:
    [QUOTE]That's funny! H and I could maybe work together, but we would need separate hobbies or something. We cannot spend that much time together.
    Posted by mrandmrsbrist[/QUOTE]

This is key, we have our own hobbies which is very important!
  • I don't think it would be a good idea for FI and I to work together!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_con-of-working-spouse?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:56d5dc62-1b24-497e-a0b7-8842dc0dd911Post:b2477e8f-eb73-4d48-ae42-0e1c7472c52c">Re: A "con" of working with your spouse</a>:
    [QUOTE] I don't think H and I could work together, we need our time apart.
    Posted by naomikb[/QUOTE]

Us too!
  • FI and I had a business together and that was such a huge learning experience for us. We no longer work together, but we have the memory of getting engaged there!
    5/27/12
  • FI and I work shifts at the pool together sometimes, and it's nice, especially in the early mornings. He'll go and bring me tea while I'm guarding, and I'll get him breakfast while he's guarding...he also does most of the icky jobs for me! If he has an exam, I'll give him extra time to study, and when I'm exhausted, he'll let me nap for a bit. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards