Christian Weddings

Lent

Tomorrow is Ash Wednesday, the start of Lent.  I'm not Catholic, but I usually do observe Lent.  Especially since I observe Mardi Gras, which is literally meant for you to "get it all out of your system" before you start the sacrifice, service, and penance that will lead you up to Easter.

Does anyone else here observe Lent?  How do you observe it?  Do you give anything up?

I am giving up secular books.  I read a lot, and from tomorrow until Easter I will only be reading the Bible, Christian non-fiction, and possibly some Christian fiction.  I have an unread collection of C.S. Lewis masterpieces (several books bound into one book) that I've been meaning to crack into, and this will be the perfect excuse to do that.  I've already read Mere Christianity, but the collection book I have contains a whole bunch more, so I'm looking forward to that.

I also try to donate to charity, listen only to Christian muisc, pray and meditate more, study the Bible more, etc. during Lent.
image imageimage image

My Blog

Anniversary

100/100 books read in 2012
17/100 books read in 2013

Re: Lent

• I gave up ice cream last year.  It was rough.  Especially when DH had a big med school event and there was an ice cream stand.  Cry

I think I should give up butterfingers this Lent.  I've been eating waaay too many.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I am doing lent, but I still haven't locked in 100% what I am doing. I am thinking I'll set aside more of a "specifically for God" time daily... I also am throwing a few other ideas around.
    My blog
    "I will greatly rejoice in the LORD, My soul shall be joyful in my God; For He has clothed me with the garments of salvation, He has covered me with the robe of righteousness, As a bridegroom decks himself with ornaments, And as a bride adorns herself with her jewels." -Isaiah 61:10 NKJV
  • I'm giving up soda and junk food (which is kind of cheating because I need to do that anyways, but I think taking advantage of Lent to "jump start" it will help).  I gave up ALL caffeine last year (soda, coffee, tea, chocolate) and I was a bear.  I don't know what I was thinking...especially since I was in the middle of student teaching.  

DH and I are also going to "add" something...more time for devotions, etc.
  • I do Lent as well, but it is more a part of my religion.  Lent starts next week for me as our Easter is a week after Western Easter.   Because Lent is a part of Orthodoxy it is different from the Catholic lent.  If Lent is observed one should abstain from meat and dairy as well as alcohol (except on certain days) and things of a sexual nature.  People can also give up other things as well (more like the Catholics).  It's quite a challenge but after the first three weeks it's not so bad.  I always loose like 10 lbs!

I do love Lent though, it is a time to draw closer to God.  For me there are more church services to attend which are beautiful and I enjoy so much.  <3  But Pascha is my favorite holiday so that helps too.

"Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• I was raised Catholic so I always have/do participate in Lent. I've always found it's better for me to DO something extra than give up something. Not sure what I'll be doing this year...

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • I am giving up candy bars. I have been indulging way too much lately.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I don't know how I feel about people giving up things for lent that have nothing to do with spirituality. I'm all for self-betterment, but the point is to give up things that distract you from God, not things that aren't exactly healthy. 

I'm a huge fan of adding things. Like a deeper devotional, or extended time everyday with God. Getting more in touch with who He is and exactly what that sacrifice is. That's what my plan is, still need to nail down exactly what devotional I want to do. I better choose soon! 
    PostCeremony-131.1
  • A friend posted on her blog last year about her views of lent and I found them really encouraging: clicky
    PostCeremony-131.1
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_lent-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:7828b276-7a0f-45ce-af89-b513572c4c6cPost:f5f262a1-b793-4e44-92ed-c1ee487533a4">Re: Lent</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't know how I feel about people giving up things for lent that have nothing to do with spirituality. I'm all for self-betterment, but the point is to give up things that distract you from God, not things that aren't exactly healthy.
    Posted by RebeccaJac[/QUOTE]

<div>This.</div>
    Pregnancy Ticker
    2010: 41 books, 2011: 31 books, 2012: 100 books
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_lent-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:7828b276-7a0f-45ce-af89-b513572c4c6cPost:f5f262a1-b793-4e44-92ed-c1ee487533a4">Re: Lent</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't know how I feel about people giving up things for lent that have nothing to do with spirituality. I'm all for self-betterment, but the point is to give up things that distract you from God, not things that aren't exactly healthy.
    I agree to an extent, but I also think it's about giving up something that you will miss, which makes it a sacrifice.  It's about learning to sacrifice and it's also about self-discipline.  I gave up candy one year and did quite well with it.  This year I am giving up secular reading, which does distract me from God.  So I have done it both ways.

I am adding a Lent devotional with DH as well as spending a daily time - even a few mintues - in quiet meditation and prayer with God.
    image imageimage image

My Blog

Anniversary

100/100 books read in 2012
    17/100 books read in 2013
  • Yeah, but let's be honest here. There's a HUGE difference between giving up something you'll miss, and making a sacrifice. Getting up an hour earlier to spend it with good-- sacrifice. Losing the candy that's adding to your waistline... eh... not so sure. 

To each their own, and obviously it's a personal decision involving only God. Motives are huge. You could easily honor God by giving up sweets if they're really a massive part of your life, and you could easily dishonor him by putting on a show for lent. 

I guess whatever prepares your heart. Getting rid of my caffeine addiction just wouldn't do that for me. It's something I need to do, but it wouldn't pull me closer to God. 

Just my opinion.
    PostCeremony-131.1
  • H and I generally observe Lent.  Sometimes we add something to our routine, sometimes we give something up.

I disagree that giving up something like candy or caffeine isn't a true sacrifice.  I gave up refined sugar one year, and I've done soda before too.  It was definitely a sacrifice and everytime I wanted something that fit into that category, I was reminded of what I was doing, why I was doing it and what Christ sacrificed for me.  So yeah, it definitely brought me closer to God.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_lent-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:7828b276-7a0f-45ce-af89-b513572c4c6cPost:efba39cd-8113-499c-9dc2-7456a5d0a579">Re: Lent</a>:
    [QUOTE]H and I generally observe Lent.  Sometimes we add something to our routine, sometimes we give something up. I disagree that giving up something like candy or caffeine isn't a true sacrifice.  I gave up refined sugar one year, and I've done soda before too.  It was definitely a sacrifice and everytime I wanted something that fit into that category, I was reminded of what I was doing, why I was doing it and what Christ sacrificed for me.  So yeah, it definitely brought me closer to God.
    Posted by DramaGeek[/QUOTE]

<div>I think it totally can be with the right motives, I think more often than not it's not used as a spiritual observance. My facebook feed is full of lent sacrifices that are leading to tighter tummies rather than tighter relationships with God. That's all I was saying. </div>
    PostCeremony-131.1
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_lent-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:7828b276-7a0f-45ce-af89-b513572c4c6cPost:288445fe-8fdc-4a49-a0dd-dc5cb0ef08d9">Re: Lent</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yeah, but let's be honest here. There's a HUGE difference between giving up something you'll miss, and making a sacrifice. Getting up an hour earlier to spend it with good-- sacrifice. Losing the candy that's adding to your waistline... eh... not so sure.  To each their own, and obviously it's a personal decision involving only God. Motives are huge. You could easily honor God by giving up sweets if they're really a massive part of your life, and you could easily dishonor him by putting on a show for lent.  I guess whatever prepares your heart. Getting rid of my caffeine addiction just wouldn't do that for me. It's something I need to do, but it wouldn't pull me closer to God.  Just my opinion.

<div>Yeah, I think it's about people's approach to Lent.  It doesn't matter what exactly you did to fast... there's that passage in the Bible where it mentions it doesn't matter if you have fasted  the whole time or for just one day.  It is about your spiritual state.  </div><div>Lent should also be a very private thing, too.  I was always told by my priest that we shouldn't be putting on airs... we should fast quietly.  In a spirit of humility, if someone unknowingly offers something one is fasting from, one should accept it and not worry that it has broken his or her fast.  </div><div>
    </div><div>I think what you choose to fast from should ideally be made with some spiritual guidance, if you can obtain it.  For example, I have health problems, so I can't do the fasting regiment prescribed by my faith.  But I fast from anything that can be considered junk, which is always tough but it reminds me why I am fasting.  I plan to use the money I save from it to donate to charity. </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_lent-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:7828b276-7a0f-45ce-af89-b513572c4c6cPost:f5f262a1-b793-4e44-92ed-c1ee487533a4">Re: Lent</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't know how I feel about people giving up things for lent that have nothing to do with spirituality. I'm all for self-betterment, but the point is to give up things that distract you from God, not things that aren't exactly healthy.  Posted by RebeccaJac[/QUOTE]

I had a conversation about this with a friend a couple of years ago.  It was my first time giving up something for Lent.  I gave up peanut butter because I felt like I was using it as a crutch.  Giving up peanut butter served as a reminder than I can't depend on earthly things and must depend on the Lord.  This year it's butterfingers because I've realized that I go to them when I feel anxious or just plain uncomfortable when I should be praying about whatever it is.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards