Christian Weddings
Options

More puppy problems

Cody (our other dog - Jacko is the one with the heart problem) had a seizure at 3 oclock this morning.  Neither of us saw it start as we were sleeping, but he fell of the bed (what woke us) and started flailing.  For the first 30 seconds or so he was totally with is - scared to death - and trying to stand up.  Then he lost all control and his limbs were jerking all over the place.  He came to rest and his eyes were totally glazed over and fixed on the ceiling, then he started the running motion.  After that he came out of it and was with it again, but trembling like crazy.  He was obviously scared.  We have an appointment at 3 this afternoon.

Re: More puppy problems

• Options
    naomikbnaomikb member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That sounds terrifying!  T&P for your family and Cody.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    oh no! Hope the appointment goes well. Sending T & P's your way. Keep us updated.

June 2012 December Siggy Challenge: Favorite Things about Christmas image
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Planning Bio Updated 10/24/2011
  • Options
    DramaGeekDramaGeek member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies.  The first thing the vet said is "what are you doing to your dogs?!"  :-P  Then she checked him over, said he seems to be fine, that generally seizures are caused by epilepsy, and canine epilepsy is apparently more common than one realizes (or at least, more common than I realized).  They don't do medication unless the seizures become frequent, so at this point we're supposed to just keep an eye on him and log any more that happen.  She said this could be the only one, ever, or it could become more frequent to where we'll need to put him on medication, but for now it's just a waiting game.

I did learn that dogs feel no pain when they have a seizure and that they don't die from it, so we just need to keep him safe and help him stay calm when he comes out of it.  That was a huge relief.  Having been through it once, I hope the next one (if there is a next one) is less terrifying.
  • Options
    mrandmrsbristmrandmrsbrist member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm sorry :(
    Pregnancy Ticker
    2010: 41 books, 2011: 31 books, 2012: 100 books
  • Options
    BMcLeodTeamBMcLeodTeam member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had a German Shepherd with epilepsy when I was younger. If you ever want to talk to someone who has been there, please feel free to message!
    Thoughts and prayers are with you and your family while you're dealing with all this!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That would have been so scary! I will say a prayer. 
  • Options
    FaithCaitlinFaithCaitlin member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would be terrified! Praying that it doesn't happen again. :(

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    azdancer8azdancer8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Poor puppy! I'll be praying that it doesn't happen again.
  • Options
    ravenrayravenray member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Poor dog I hope that it doesn't happen again!
    "Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards