Christian Weddings
Options

Wednesday QOTD

Married ladies, what is the one piece of advice you would recommend to the ladies who are still planning their wedding?

Engaged ladies, what is the best/worst piece of advice you have heard?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Wednesday QOTD

• Options
    I'm engaged, so worst...
    I had a friend ask me if I'd thought about setting up a wedding page so people could donate to us to help us afford a wedding... I told her that the whole thing would seem rude and she paused and then said, surprised, "Oh yeah.. yeah.. I can see that." She was trying to be sweet because she knows we're broke, and she said "I'd make a donation" but... I told her "we would always except a wedding gift of course, but..." lol
    My blog
    "I will greatly rejoice in the LORD, My soul shall be joyful in my God; For He has clothed me with the garments of salvation, He has covered me with the robe of righteousness, As a bridegroom decks himself with ornaments, And as a bride adorns herself with her jewels." -Isaiah 61:10 NKJV
  • Options

Delegate!!!!!!!!  Our parents kept getting ideas of things to add (flowers, favors, napkins, etc).  We didn't care about those things, so we told the parents they would have the responsibility of figuring those things out if they *really* wanted them.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    My advice to engaged brides is to take time to make a thorough, detailed day-of timeline.  It would include times, places, addresses of the salon/picture location/ceremony/reception, etc., along with the peoples' names and what they need to bring (rings, snack cooler, shoes, jewellery, etc.).  It also included phone #s for all the locations and cell #s for all the WP and parents.  The vehicle that people were going in was also written out, so we knew how many cars we needed to get people around, where people were parking overnight, etc.

I emailed mine to my BMs so they had an idea of where and when they needed to be certain places, and my H printed some out for his guys and gave them to them in the morning.  I made sure a few printed copies were in every vehicle.  It helped everyone know where to go without me telling them, remember to bring the rings, and we used the contact list to call the florist when we couldn't find the flowers, and call the other car to stay in touch on the way to the photo location.  It took forever to work out the timeline, but it was a lifesaver in the end.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_wednesday-qotd-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:8c52a3b1-553f-4324-af8d-2783b950dfa4Post:72eb8d4f-b3f2-451a-abcd-a595d14b1bfe">Re: Wednesday QOTD</a>:
    [QUOTE]My advice to engaged brides is to take time to make a thorough, detailed day-of timeline.  It would include times, places, addresses of the salon/picture location/ceremony/reception, etc., along with the peoples' names and what they need to bring (rings, snack cooler, shoes, jewellery, etc.).    <strong>It took forever to work out the timeline, but it was a lifesaver in the end.</strong>
    Posted by naomikb[/QUOTE]

I have sat down a couple times and tried to figure ours out but have no idea where to start.
  • Options
    Obviously since I'm still engaged, I haven't actually tried out this advice yet, but I still think it's pretty good! A friend told me to take something to help me sleep the week before the wedding. She said that even though I normally don't like to take any kind of medication unless absolutely necessary, it'll be worth it to be well rested before the wedding.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_wednesday-qotd-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:8c52a3b1-553f-4324-af8d-2783b950dfa4Post:2c3f6196-0b11-4b7e-be0f-fc9ee2aa72a0">Re: Wednesday QOTD</a>:
    [QUOTE]Delegate!!!!!!!!  Our parents kept getting ideas of things to add (flowers, favors, napkins, etc).  We didn't care about those things, so we told the parents they would have the responsibility of figuring those things out if they *really* wanted them.
    Posted by ochemjenn[/QUOTE]

YES!  My mom kept thinking of things we "had" to have.  i told her if it was important to her, go for it, but don't expect me to do it!

My other piece of advice is to take time as you walk down the aisle and during the ceremony and see the faces of all the people you love, there to support you as you start your marriage.  Someone told me to do that and I am so glad I did.  I can still remember where certain people were sitting and seeing them, smiling at them, seeing them smiling back is such a great memory, especially since many of them have since passed on.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_wednesday-qotd-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:8c52a3b1-553f-4324-af8d-2783b950dfa4Post:72eb8d4f-b3f2-451a-abcd-a595d14b1bfe">Re: Wednesday QOTD</a>:
    [QUOTE]My advice to engaged brides is to take time to make a thorough, detailed day-of timeline.  It would include times, places, addresses of the salon/picture location/ceremony/reception, etc., along with the peoples' names and what they need to bring (rings, snack cooler, shoes, jewellery, etc.).  It also included phone #s for all the locations and cell #s for all the WP and parents.  The vehicle that people were going in was also written out, so we knew how many cars we needed to get people around, where people were parking overnight, etc. I emailed mine to my BMs so they had an idea of where and when they needed to be certain places, and my H printed some out for his guys and gave them to them in the morning.  I made sure a few printed copies were in every vehicle.  It helped everyone know where to go without me telling them, remember to bring the rings, and we used the contact list to call the florist when we couldn't find the flowers, and call the other car to stay in touch on the way to the photo location.  It took forever to work out the timeline, but it was a lifesaver in the end.
    Posted by naomikb[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>This!! I made a timeline/info sheet(s) for all my BM's, parents, groomsmen, my FI (now my H), and anyone else involved. I e-mailed these ahead of time and it really helped!! 

</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_wednesday-qotd-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:8c52a3b1-553f-4324-af8d-2783b950dfa4Post:7840dbab-8dbc-455b-993f-073a76c04116">Re: Wednesday QOTD</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wednesday QOTD : YES!  My mom kept thinking of things we "had" to have.  i told her if it was important to her, go for it, but don't expect me to do it!<strong> My other piece of advice is to take time as you walk down the aisle and during the ceremony and see the faces of all the people you love, there to support you as you start your marriage.  Someone told me to do that and I am so glad I did.  I can still remember where certain people were sitting and seeing them, smiling at them, seeing them smiling back is such a great memory, especially since many of them have since passed on.</strong>
    Posted by DramaGeek[/QUOTE]
    this is really good! I never thought of this
  • Options
    azdancer8azdancer8 member
    First Comment
    edited March 2012
    Give yourself a cut off date for "figuring things out". We DIY quite a bit, and I told myself that anything that wasn't already decided, planned, whatever by the Wednesday before our Sunday wedding wasn't worth stressing over. Granted, there were still things that needed to be assembled those last few days, but I wasn't freaking out trying to make last minute decisions. ;)

Also, if you can afford one, hire a DOC. Seriously. Best. Decision. Ever. Our DOC announced at the rehearsal that all questions from then on were to go to her, and DH  and I were to be left alone. I was able to spend my wedding day just enjoying myself and not having any of the "emergency" stuff thrown at me.

Ok, that's two. Oops. ;)
  • Options
    Set aside 5 minutes for you and your brand new DH to be alone somewhere (bride's room or something something) immediately following the ceremony and recessional.  DH and I did this and it's one of my favorite memories of the whole day!  Getting to go into the bride's room alone with DH for a few minutes and just go HOLY CRAP WE'RE MARRIED!  Lol.
    image imageimage image

My Blog

Anniversary

100/100 books read in 2012
    17/100 books read in 2013
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards