Christian Weddings

Communion at an outdoor ceremony

Has anyone been to a wedding where they gave communion in an outdoor ceremony, and not on church grounds? I've seen photos on internet searches of outdoor weddings that where set up for communion, but I don't know what denomination they where.

It would mean alot to me to have this as a part of the wedding ceremony, but I'm not sure if we can have communion outside of the church building.  I haven't contacted the pastor yet (its still early and these thoughts just started swirling in my head) so I will find out eventually.  He is Lutheran if that helps at all.  I just thought I'd ask for people's opinions and experiences with this.

Thanks! :)

Re: Communion at an outdoor ceremony

• edited December 2011
    i've seen communion done outside of the church.

remember - a church is only a building - God is everywhere.  i dont see why it wouldnt be allowed!!!!
    Photobucket
  • lleavelllleavell member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My guess would be that it's more of a logistical problem than a matter of what's allowed.  That's definitely something you should ask your pastor about, though.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_communion-outdoor-ceremony?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:967e0ab2-3cfe-45a7-b186-ff1686d91e0cPost:a9eb010b-fe32-4aec-85a3-6b4df9d6153e">Re: Communion at an outdoor ceremony</a>:
    [QUOTE]remember - a church is only a building - God is everywhere.  i dont see why it wouldnt be allowed!!!!
    Posted by FutureMrsRyan[/QUOTE]

I wholeheartedly agree :)  I really hope the pastor feels the same way! 
  • edited December 2011

I'm LCMS Lutheran and we used to have an annual church service in the park.  Communion not in our church building wasn't a problem, but we had to get a liquor license/alcohol permit/whatever it's called for the park where we held the service that day.  I would check into that if I were you.

Are just you two doing Communion, or will it be like a normal Sunday Communion?

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_communion-outdoor-ceremony?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:967e0ab2-3cfe-45a7-b186-ff1686d91e0cPost:ab64d82d-8213-473e-a18c-8158e26ddc04">Re: Communion at an outdoor ceremony</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm LCMS Lutheran and we used to have an annual church service in the park.  Communion not in our church building wasn't a problem, but we had to get a liquor license/alcohol permit/whatever it's called for the park where we held the service that day.  I would check into that if I were you. Are just you two doing Communion, or will it be like a normal Sunday Communion?
    Posted by Jeffie86[/QUOTE]

Thanks Jeffie!  Everyone would take Communion.  Its definitely a logistical issue, as I would think we would need to sit my elderly guests at the front so they don't have to walk far (just like they do at church).  One thing to ask the minister is how comfortable he is with this and who he needs to assist.  At the Angican church I attend now, certain laypeople can assist in giving the wine.  I haven't been to the Lutheran church since I was young, so I'm not sure of the rules there.
  • felkelsfelkels member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The most meaningful communion I ever had was in Kosovo.  We had a BBQ at a river, and had a worship service.  Then the missionary I was with went into the river and baptized 4 or so members of his congregation.  We then all sat in the grass and had communion.  It was so beautiful, and you could really feel God in that place. 
    Speaking of which, for years I didn't go to church.  I went to the beach with worship music and walked along praising God.  There can be no closer place to God than in nature I believe. 
    I think communion in an outdoor ceremony would be lovely.  There should be no problem with it whatsoever.  As long as you have a pastor/officiant willing to do the ceremony out in the open, then they will probably be just fine. 
    Blessings!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards