Washington-Seattle

Random Ceremony Q: Which side is the Bride's?

I was scrolling through the Style Me Pretty Blog and noticed that in one of the weddings, the Groom and his GMs stood on the left side (looking down the aisle/guest point of view), and the Bride and her BMs stood on the right side.

I've always thought that the Bride goes on the left side.  Is that the more traditional way? 

Random question, but this board is DEAD and thought I'd add a little somethin'. Smile
OMH est. May 7, 2011
Photo courtesy of jennygg.com
My never updated Planning/Married Bio: http://mgoss228.weebly.com/
Seattle Knotties: Please page me if you send me a PM!

Re: Random Ceremony Q: Which side is the Bride's?

• edited December 2011
    I thought it was the left too .. I assume this has something to do with drawing swords or something (most things in etiquette have something to do with swords).

1st year anniversary in Victoria with a killer whale topiary!
  • carrieoz_76carrieoz_76 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We would have had girls on the right and guys on the left, but it was too windy to do it that way, so we decided to switch it up have girls on the left and guys on the right.  I'd forgotten that we made this change until reading this post. PIB, if you'd like to see what it looked like (really, not that different :) ).

So, really, I think you can do it however you'd like!
  • edited December 2011
    Carrieoz- Your pictures are fabulous! You make me want to get married in Hawaii!!! .........too bad I already booked a venue...lol
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • carrieoz_76carrieoz_76 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
  • edited December 2011

According to About.com - It is something about swords and how a man had to fight off people who tried to kidnap the bride.  It also says that in Jewish ceremonies guys to the left and girls to the right.  So I would guess it was a Jewish ceremony....

Amanda & Joel
    Planning bio: updated 05.11.10
    326 were asked to dance image
    120 will boogie the night away image 110 have two left feet image 96 are couch potatoes image
    RSVP Date: Sept 10, 2010
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_washington-seattle_random-ceremony-q-side-brides?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:104Discussion:6c38f55d-001f-4b0e-9a48-7280f2c2fd62Post:1f5ec019-1876-443d-b881-e266574bdac7">Re: Random Ceremony Q: Which side is the Bride's?</a>:
    [QUOTE]According to About.com - It is something about swords and how a man had to fight off people who tried to kidnap the bride.
    Posted by ahuette[/QUOTE]

Haha, I was mostly joking when I said it was about swords :). Can you imagine someone trying to kidnap the bride today?

1st year anniversary in Victoria with a killer whale topiary!
  • mgoss228mgoss228 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for clearing that up!  It must have been a Jewish ceremony, I think I saw a chuppah too.

niq, I think the only weddings that could be at risk of having the bride kidnapped, would be those featured on Jerry Springer (or Maury?  I forget what trashy show is still on air). LOL
    OMH est. May 7, 2011
    Photo courtesy of jennygg.com
    My never updated Planning/Married Bio: http://mgoss228.weebly.com/
    Seattle Knotties: Please page me if you send me a PM!
  • irshis20irshis20 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yep, traditionally bride on the left, groom on the right. However, my church's wedding coordinator gave us another option: she said some couples choose to still seat their families on the traditional left and right, but then the bride and groom switch sides so their parents can see their faces as they're saying their vows. We aren't doing it that way, but I thought it was an interesting option.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards