Christian Weddings

Poll - Household Chores

What household chore do you enjoy doing?  What one do you hate?  

For me, I like to use my Shark steam mop on the kitchen floor because it cleans so well and I really like having a clean kitchen floor. 

The one I hate is mowing the lawn.  DH usually does it so at least I don''t have to do it often.

Re: Poll - Household Chores

• SoonToBeGenaoSoonToBeGenao member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I LOVE to cook. I try to make dinner as often as possible. I don't really like to do laundry. Going to the laundromat, without AC, spending hours there, folding HOT clothes when its already 100 degrees.... yuck!
    There's only 1 way 2 say those 3 words and that's what I'll do... I love you Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • azdancer8azdancer8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I usually enjoy doing dishes. It's a good thinking time for me. And laundry isn't too bad; I can sort and fold clothes while I watch TV or listen to music. :)

I HATE HATE HATE vacuuming. DH always does that one. ;)
  • Purple&7Purple&7 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The only thing I don't like is cleaning the toilets. Yuck! I'm alright with doing the rest, the only problem is that I hate to clean! Not a good thing.

FI and I agreed that he would take care of most of the yard/outside stuff and I would take care of most of the inside stuff. I think we should share chores so this was our compromise. We'll see how it works out when we're married...
  • DramaGeekDramaGeek member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I cannot think of one thing that I actually like to do.  My least hated things to do are sweep and mop the floors, I think.  I also don't mind actually doing the laundry, as in putting it in the washer and dryer, but for some reason I really hate folding it and putting it away.
  • GJones27GJones27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Favorite chores: none.
    Least favorite chores: all.

Just kidding... I probably like cooking the most, as I can eat it afterwards!  I hate cleaning out the fridge though... you can find some gross stuff.
  • edited December 2011
    I like: ?? dusting?

I hate: cleaning the bathroom.. just not fun for me.

I just do whatever at home now so I can't answer what it'll be like when I move in with  my new H in 17 days!!
    imageAnniversary
  • xstarx05xxstarx05x member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Lately? nothing LOL normally?...

Like: groceries (does that count?) cuz I get to go out
    Dislike: toilets *barf* gag reflexes...

I wouldn't mind laundry if our dryer werent so terrible!!! It takes 3+ cycles! And I try to separate them into 2 machines if I can, so that's $1.50 (washing is $1.25 or $1.50). How I long for towels that are completely DRY.

I've been playing the role of housewife lately as DH works FT (but not 9-5, it's different shifts each week) and i haven't been working at all, so it's only fair for me to do the majority of our chores since I'm not doing anything else. But still, I tire of cleaning his dirty dishes and doing his laundry and putting everything away by myself all the time. Sometimes he'll do half the dishes when he's around (e.g. if the dishes in the dishwasher are clean and the ones in the sink need to be washed, I can get him to do one or the other. I prefer putting them away of course). I'm soo lazyyyy this needs to stop!

save the date
    "Here we stand from two distant lands, brought together by His hand" <3 my Aussie <BR>
  • mrandmrsbristmrandmrsbrist member
    edited December 2011
    I don't mind sweeping, mopping and vaccuuming.

I haaaate doing our laundry. I think that's just because we're using coin operated machines that are down two flights of stairs and are super old.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    2010: 41 books, 2011: 31 books, 2012: 100 books
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_poll-household-chores?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:ef9b303d-e487-43cd-89f3-526b73f6999bPost:5b025e03-60c8-4821-9e6e-14aa9905e552">Re: Poll - Household Chores</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't mind sweeping, mopping and vaccuuming. I haaaate doing our laundry. I think that's just because we're using coin operated machines that are down two flights of stairs and are super old.
    Posted by mrandmrsbrist[/QUOTE]

<div>yuck, yeah, ours is 2 buildings over and down a flight of stairs. unpleasant in sweltering whether and scary in icy whether. plus the lights dont stay on after a certain time.</div>

save the date
    "Here we stand from two distant lands, brought together by His hand" <3 my Aussie <BR>
  • edited December 2011

I like cooking, making the bed, vacuuming...

I hate doing dishes and laundry!

• kcadonaukcadonau member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i'm ok with sweeping/mopping/vacuuming and all that but DH does dishes and trash and that's totally ok with me :) so it works out pretty well, especially when he helps me cook. although i'm not too stoked on walking the laundry across the complex
    Formerly yarmik89 Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Hmm ... I'm weird, I actually like to vacuum.  And I like dusting.  

I really dislike cleaning the dishes.  So, the husband now cleans most of the dishes, and I cook most of the time.  It works out for the first week of living together so far ... 
    :-)

July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • yodacubyodacub member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I hate vacuuming.  When I was a kid my sister and I would split chores and she always vacuumed and I always dusted.  I also hate taking out the trash.  Hopefully I can talk FI into having that be his job once we're married :)

The only reason I don't like laundry is because in my complex it is so expensive and in the building next door.  Our apartment together will have a washer/dryer in it, so then I don't think I'll mind.

FI likes washing dishes, we do them together, him washing and me drying.  It's nice time together, actually.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_poll-household-chores?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:ef9b303d-e487-43cd-89f3-526b73f6999bPost:75c93010-f697-46f2-a5fb-d94118e2a92a">Re: Poll - Household Chores</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hmm ... I'm weird, I actually like to vacuum.  And I like dusting.
    Posted by kellya01[/QUOTE]
    I'm the exact same way, lol.  FI has terrible allergies, so doing those two chores for him is like torture.  So I told him I would do those if he would fold clothes and wash dishes.

I pretty much hate all other chores, but the one I REALLY loathe is laundry.  I hate it so much that I let laundry pile up and pile up until I have several loads to do at once.  FI and I have been saving up for a long time so we could afford a really nice, high capacity washer and dryer.  That way, it's OK if it piles up because it still only amounts to one load, lol.  Seriously though, you don't want to know how much money I intend to spend on a washer and dryer.  Because of FI's allergies, his bed linens need to be washed frequently.  I am not taking my queen comforter to the laundromat once a week, thank you very much.  I am buying a washing machine that can handle it.
    image imageimage image

My Blog

Anniversary

100/100 books read in 2012
    17/100 books read in 2013
  • edited December 2011
    Hmmm I'm really not a hugh fan of any housework haha. And, that being said, there isn't really any that I absolutely HATE either. It's all kind of like, "okay, I need to get this done, I'll put on some music and do it." And the feeling when the house is clean is AMAZING! I will say that H and I do enjoy making dinner! The only problem is the time. If I had unlimited time, I would get to cook fun recipes way more.
  • ochemjennochemjenn member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    DH and I invested in our own washer and drier.  The laundry at our complex isn't as inconvenient as some of yours is, but before we got our own, I hated going up and down the elevator and paying for each load.  Then there was the time the elevator was broken and I had to walk up 6 flights of stairs with the lanudry basket of clean clothes.  We'll break even on cost after about a year. 

So...I like laundry.  I wash everything, but I make DH put away about a third of his clothes.  I do all his ironing.

What I hate are showers/tubs.  I got a couple of those hanging things that spray cleaner when you press a button.  Seem to be working ok so far.  I also hate DH's sink b/c he gets toothpaste all over it.  

We're in an apartment complex, so no yard for us.  DH always hated mowing the lawn when he was growing up, so I'll probably end up doing it when we get a house.  DH will have to do any landscaping or gardening.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • AllyG303AllyG303 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I actually like cleaning the bathroom--you always see the most evidence of the cleaning there!  I also don't mind doing laundry.

I HATE doing the dishes...FI doesn't always rinse his dishes out, and I have terrible gag refexes that act up when I see or touch dried on/mushy food in dirty dishes.  YUCK!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker weddingpreview
  • edited December 2011
    I hate doing dishes. I never have liked it much. I don't have a dishwasher, and usualy I forget (or am too lazy) to do dishes after I cook something, so I end up waiting until the next day or 2 days later when I have such a huge pile of dirty dishes I have to do something about it. 

I enjoy cooking, but I don't do it as often as I should because it leads to more dirty dishes. I hope FI likes dishes, that way he can wash them! 

I also didn't like taking all my clothes to the laundromat, but I recently started hand washing everything in the bathtub, and I actually enjoy it. I wash clothes that way about every other day - about once a month (or a little more often) I do take the towels, sheets, blankets etc, to the laundromat. 
  • ochemjennochemjenn member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_poll-household-chores?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:ef9b303d-e487-43cd-89f3-526b73f6999bPost:1166f60d-a1f3-43e6-af12-a4dc68acb203">Re: Poll - Household Chores</a>:
    [QUOTE]I actually like cleaning the bathroom--you always see the most evidence of the cleaning there!  I also don't mind doing laundry. I HATE doing the dishes...<strong>FI doesn't always rinse his dishes out, and I have terrible gag refexes that act up when I see or touch dried on/mushy food in dirty dishes.  YUCK!
    </strong>Posted by AllyG303[/QUOTE]

DH used to be this way too!  I especially hated the milk or yogurt left in a bowl.  Besides the gross factor, I hate seeing wasted food.  We actually talked about it during our pre-marital counseling.  He's been MUCH better since we've gotten married.  I think he's only left his cereal bowl like that once in the past couple of months.  We both need to work on taking our glasses back to the kitchen.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    Side note, having a washer and dryer in your own place is a necessity here.  You either own your own, or rent an apartment with a set already in it.  We really don't have laundromats around here.  I forget that sometimes in other parts of the country, this is not the norm.  We also don't really have public transportation (have to have your own car).  I guess we live in kind of a self-reliant city, haha.
    image imageimage image

My Blog

Anniversary

100/100 books read in 2012
    17/100 books read in 2013
  • edited December 2011
    I LOVE sweeping and mopping the floor - no idea why.  Probably because it's so clean when I'm done.  :P  But that only lasts until either Clint comes inside, or my dog goes out and comes back in.  Or the cats get into something - their latest escapade was tearing open a bag of Sweet'N Low and spreading it ALL over the counter...

I hate cleaning the hair out of the shower drain, but he does that for me.  :)  I'm so blessed.  :P
  • edited December 2011
    Laundry is my favorite and that includes ironing. I grew up in a home where both parents had jobs that required clothes be ironed plus my mom was a wrinkle nazi. I have kinda turned in to one my self. Wrinkled clothes are a pet peeve of mine.

Least favorite is vacuuming. I love my new vacuum but I don't like using it. I just hate how noisey it is.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    i hate hate hate laundry!!! my FI is VERY particular about laundry too.. so that doesnt help. i wait until the last moment to do my laundry... i dont put it away right away, i dont like to seperate. 
    FI seperates everything and does laundry all the time. He folds and hangs things up right away. lol
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_poll-household-chores?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:ef9b303d-e487-43cd-89f3-526b73f6999bPost:a21370ab-2a83-4ce9-8ca1-c52831d0c2fe">Re: Poll - Household Chores</a>:
    [QUOTE]I LOVE sweeping and mopping the floor - no idea why.  Probably because it's so clean when I'm done.  :P  But that only lasts until either Clint comes inside, or my dog goes out and comes back in.  Or the cats get into something - their latest escapade was tearing open a bag of Sweet'N Low and spreading it ALL over the counter... I hate cleaning the hair out of the shower drain, but he does that for me.  :)  I'm so blessed.  :P
    Posted by LittleBigO[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>hahaha aren't pets fun?? and then you shouted at them, "What are you doing??? What was the purpose of that??" My mom's cat dumped a bunch of bolts and things out of a container that previously held catnip haha.</div><div>
    </div><div>uggghhh I had to clean out the shower drain a little while ago. Soooo nasty!!! I almost puked so many times. I was like, "Dontthinkaboutit Dontthinkaboutit Dontthinkaboutit..."</div>

save the date
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_poll-household-chores?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:ef9b303d-e487-43cd-89f3-526b73f6999bPost:9015d72e-1b45-4859-a1c2-61a21c4ca488">Re: Poll - Household Chores</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Poll - Household Chores : DH used to be this way too!  I especially hated the milk or yogurt left in a bowl.  Besides the gross factor, I hate seeing wasted food.  We actually talked about it during our pre-marital counseling.  He's been MUCH better since we've gotten married.  I think he's only left his cereal bowl like that once in the past couple of months.  We both need to work on taking our glasses back to the kitchen.
    Posted by ochemjenn[/QUOTE]

<div>ugh yes. and soup bowls!! and pasta. just had to clean dishes and pans from lasagna.</div>

save the date
  • iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    edited December 2011

Reading these posts makes me very thankful for having a washer and dryer!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards