Christian Weddings
Options

Hiring friends?

I am looking for a hair/makeup artist and a friend offered her services. We haven't been close for a few years but for some reason I'm nervous about hiring her. 

What are your thoughts? Irrational? 
PostCeremony-131.1

Re: Hiring friends?

• Options
    naomikbnaomikb member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited January 2012
    Is she already on the guest list for your wedding? Does she normally do hair/makeup in a business/professional capacity? If the answers are 1-no and 2-yes then I say go for it. I assume you would look at her past work and do a trial beforehand, so why not?
  • Options
    Sure, but treat her like a professional vendor, and offer to pay her.

May 2012 July Siggy: Favorite Vacation Spot Kaleden, BC
    July Fave Vacation Spot photo IMG_0268-1.jpg

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    My Blog:Through My Eyes

• Options
    If she is offering to do this as a wedding gift, there's no need to pay her, but a tip would probably be a nice offering at least. I wouldn't allow a friend to do anything for my wedding if I were picky about the way it turned out. You won't be bothered by telling a vendor that you want this or that changed, or don't like the way your hair came out, but it will be harder to tell this to a friend and not have them think you are being rude.
  • Options
    My only caution about not paying her is that it's a lot more difficult to expect as professional service. It'll be tough to fire her, or get upset with the quality of her service (actually those will be tough, regardless of whether or not you pay her, so make sure you know she's good and dependable). 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_hiring-friends?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:fe47bae1-58ad-49be-9871-f2d81ae5eaefPost:719bfa8f-261b-44cd-a950-7a8d8246d9ad">Re: Hiring friends?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Is she already on the guest list for your wedding? Does she normally do hair/makeup in a business/professional capacity? If the answers are 1-no and 2-yes then I say go for it. I assume you would look at her past work and do a trial beforehand, so why not?
    Posted by naomikb[/QUOTE]

<div>She's not on the guest list, but I'm not sure if she's working professionally anywhere. Last time we talked she was in beauty school, but that's the last I've heard of it. I feel awkward asking to see a portfolio like that would send a message that I'm being a brat about it or something...</div>
    PostCeremony-131.1
  • Options
    FaithCaitlinFaithCaitlin member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited January 2012
    I wouldn't.

I think it's always best to hire someone you aren't friends with for many reasons.

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    If you do go this route, I would make sure to get a written contract of what your agreement is. If there is disappoint it tends to be MUCH worse with people who started as friends, and emotions run high... 
  • Options
    I'm not a good person to ask because I had all kinds of friends involved in my wedding stuff... My photographer was one of my best friends from high school (but she is a professional photog and I have seen TONS of her work and she is amazing). My good friend/bridesmaid sang a duet with my pastor's husband at the ceremony (but I have loved her voice since we met when I was in 10th grade haha). My mother-in-law's friend did my makeup. I ended up wanting more eyeliner and I just told her I did and she put more on but it still didn't look right to me so I just touched up the eyeliner after she left. 

So yea, I'm all for friends doing things for a wedding... BUT if you don't have any clue what her work is like, that's a different story. Do you know anyone who knows her work or who has had their hair or makeup done by her? You could always go for a trial and if you don't like it at all, you can just say you decided to go for a different look or something. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_hiring-friends?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:fe47bae1-58ad-49be-9871-f2d81ae5eaefPost:913a3210-cca5-4f05-a7ad-198d4d35d98d">Re: Hiring friends?</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you do go this route, I would make sure to get a written contract of what your agreement is. If there is disappoint it tends to be MUCH worse with people who started as friends, and emotions run high... 
    Posted by BMcLeodTeam[/QUOTE]

Yes yes yes!

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I think I'm going to skip it. She's not working professionaly in the industry and that makes me nervous.

Thanks for the advice!
    PostCeremony-131.1
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards