November 2012 Weddings

How's everyone's planning going? Anyone struggling with any particular part?

Hey there fellow November brides!  Just wanted to see if anyone was struggling with any particular aspect of their planning, like I am... 2 areas really.
We have a lot of vendors books - photographer, videographer, venue, DJ, limo, tuxes, I have my dress, invitations are selected... but stlil don't have someone to marry us!  We've met with a couple and "liked" both of them, but didn't necessarily have a wow moment.  There were things about each that we didn't care for, and it's such an important part of the day, I'm having a hard time compromising until I find someone I truly mesh with.  We are meeting with another woman next week... here's hoping!
The other piece is the bridal party gifts.  I just DON'T KNOW!!  I come up with an idea, make a decision, then go back on it!  I know there's plenty of time for that but just having it hanging over me is adding stress!
How's everyone else doing?

Re: How's everyone's planning going? Anyone struggling with any particular part?

• We've got everything booked at this point.  Over the past 2 weeks, we secured our officiant and our baker, and we also made the final decisions on our centerpieces and ceremony decorations.  All we have to do are the miscellaneous DIY projects.  Otherwise, we're all ready to get married!

The rehearsal dinner isn't planned yet, but that's not really a big deal to us.  FI's parents are planning it and we told them to keep it simple and inexpensive.

To be honest, I'm really not worried about bridal party gifts right now.  We plan on getting them closer to our wedding day.  We'll probably just get something for each person that reflects their style.

Good luck with everything.  Don't stress over the gifts.  Like you said, there's plenty of time!
    21811_10151174643987291_1046283999_n_zpsddfa358c Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited January 2012
    We have alot of stuff done...all we really have left is DJ (we're using a family friend, so we pretty much just have to confirm everything with him), and transportation. And a bunch of DIY stuff.

We are doing a church wedding at my local parish with the Deacon. I met with the Deacon back in July when I booked the church, but FI's work schedule was so crazy at that point. Now that things are finally settling down, he actually has to sit down with the Deacon, and we both will eventually be starting Pre Cana.

As of now, I plan on getting my girls robe/spa gift sets.

Definately don't stress over the little things...you have plenty of time to work it all out!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • For your wedding party gifts..have you thought about collecting their favorite things to put together in a gift basket for each of them? That's kind of what I'm doing..I'm making them each one thing and then throughout the year while things go on sale, I'm making them a basket of their favorite stuff or of little things they've mentioned they might like to have. 

As far as vendors and getting stuff done, I'm struggling with a few things but also just kinda taking my time with it...Do you have someone that you both get along with that would be willing to be ordained to marry you? 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am struggling with our BUDGET!!  Both set of parents gave us a very generous gift, and so far I've stretched it to the max.  Unfortunately, I only budgeted $600 for the rehearsal dinner and his mom is FLIPPING out because she wants a really fancy rehearsal dinner to show off to people - she wants a sit down dinner, with apps and dessert, and an open bar!!  I think it's ridiculous since we're doing a fancy dinner and a 6 hour open bar the following night, but she won't listen.  So now my $600 is looking more like $2000 for the rehearsal dinner (30 people).  Unfortunately, I do not have the money to put my own funds in for this, so it looks like we're going to have to cut the appetizers from our wedding to pay for the rehearsal dinner.  How ridiculous is that???

/end rant
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_november-2012-weddings_hows-everyones-planning-going-anyone-struggling-particular-part?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:46c2f53c-680c-4532-aa96-4cca92890b59Discussion:3bffc408-bfc9-4560-96c8-218d3a8574e6Post:23c4b85b-aec8-400d-a8bc-4fa86862c720">Re: How's everyone's planning going? Anyone struggling with any particular part?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am struggling with our BUDGET!!  Both set of parents gave us a very generous gift, and so far I've stretched it to the max.  Unfortunately, I only budgeted $600 for the rehearsal dinner and his mom is FLIPPING out because she wants a really fancy rehearsal dinner to show off to people - she wants a sit down dinner, with apps and dessert, and an open bar!!  I think it's ridiculous since we're doing a fancy dinner and a 6 hour open bar the following night, but she won't listen.  So now my $600 is looking more like $2000 for the rehearsal dinner (30 people).  Unfortunately, I do not have the money to put my own funds in for this, so it looks like we're going to have to cut the appetizers from our wedding to pay for the rehearsal dinner.  How ridiculous is that??? /end rant
    Posted by aloisk57[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>oh goodness! if that was my mother i would tell her she can pay the rest of the fancy dinner for the rehearsal

</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_november-2012-weddings_hows-everyones-planning-going-anyone-struggling-particular-part?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:46c2f53c-680c-4532-aa96-4cca92890b59Discussion:3bffc408-bfc9-4560-96c8-218d3a8574e6Post:23c4b85b-aec8-400d-a8bc-4fa86862c720">Re: How's everyone's planning going? Anyone struggling with any particular part?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am struggling with our BUDGET!!  Both set of parents gave us a very generous gift, and so far I've stretched it to the max.  Unfortunately, I only budgeted $600 for the rehearsal dinner and his mom is FLIPPING out because she wants a really fancy rehearsal dinner to show off to people - she wants a sit down dinner, with apps and dessert, and an open bar!!  I think it's ridiculous since we're doing a fancy dinner and a 6 hour open bar the following night, but she won't listen.  So now my $600 is looking more like $2000 for the rehearsal dinner (30 people).  Unfortunately, I do not have the money to put my own funds in for this, so it looks like we're going to have to cut the appetizers from our wedding to pay for the rehearsal dinner.  How ridiculous is that??? /end rant
    Posted by aloisk57[/QUOTE]

Oh. my gosh. My dad is being ABSOLUTELY unreasonable about the same thing. Fi's stepmom is paying for our rehearsal dinner and wanted to throw us a Fiesta (because everyone in both of our families LOVE Mexican food) and my dad made a HUGE deal about it because he wanted a fancy steak! Granted he's paying for everything else, but we're having a fancy dinner at the wedding as well. Completely unreasonable. I want to have fun and relax the day before, not have more formality!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Tell your FMIL that if she wants that fancy dinner, she can pay for it. Don't take something out of your wedding to accomodate the rehearsal dinner.

I'm procrastinating as well. I need to meet with photographers, florists, and who knows what else. I also need to schedule a tasting with the bakery and go to a few different bridal salons to make sure I find the right dress. I found one that I absolutely adore, but it's strapless and that makes me very uncomfortable.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Visit NewOrleans.Weddings.com

Nov '12 September Siggy - Bridesmaids!
    bridesmaids-2
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Right now the dress. I've tried on close to 30. havent' found "the one" yet!
  • Well, I went to a bridal show today. Found out there is someone who rents out trees, which I hadn't even considered. I thing we're going to rent a few to decorate with, since FI loves nature and trees seem better than cut flowers.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Visit NewOrleans.Weddings.com

Nov '12 September Siggy - Bridesmaids!
    bridesmaids-2
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • WOW! I definately need to get my butt in gear!!! My wedding is November 10, 2012 and so far all I have is my dress and our venue!! We have our colors picked out which is Chocolate brown, olive green, and white. The green is making it difficult to match colors with because of course not everyone uses the same color name of "green". We still need dj, photographer, officiant, tuxes, bridesmaid dresses, flower girl dresses, centerpieces, linens, flowers, rehearsal dinner, and so forth!! I get so overwhelmed with all of it. I work full time, we have a daughter that does dance and karate, so it doesn't stop!
  • I'm having a hard time picking the right colors, I like mint green and gold  or lilac and silver or mint green, chocolate and gold  i don't have any decor inspiration with these color combination. I really need help.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_november-2012-weddings_hows-everyones-planning-going-anyone-struggling-particular-part?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:46c2f53c-680c-4532-aa96-4cca92890b59Discussion:3bffc408-bfc9-4560-96c8-218d3a8574e6Post:b47b47f7-ce89-42db-a182-81a5a3194fae">Re: How's everyone's planning going? Anyone struggling with any particular part?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm having a hard time picking the right colors, I like mint green and gold  or lilac and silver or mint green, chocolate and gold  i don't have any decor inspiration with these color combination. I really need help.
    Posted by rzeemj2012[/QUOTE]

<div>I think all the color combinations you listed would look great.  You're not limited to two colors though.  I think you could easily incorporate 3 or 4 of the colors you listed.  As far as inspiration goes, are you on Pinterest?  Try looking for ideas on there.  If not Pinterest, Google Images works as well.</div>
    21811_10151174643987291_1046283999_n_zpsddfa358c Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
  • I am having a difficult time picking a photographer! They are all so expensive and we are trying to keep our budget as low as possible. We feel in love with this company but they are $3000.00 not a bad deal though since that includes video and photo for the entire day and 3 books.. 6 DVD's 100 prints and copyrights to photos. But we were looking to spend around $1500 for photo and not to video at all.. Hard to decide sine there are a MILLION photographers in the south florida area!!!
    We have our venue.. our caterer.. officiant. Thats it. Dress shopping this weekend though =)
  • Just ordered my dress today! Very excited.

I dunno. There's a lot to do. Right now I'm collecting everyone's addresses so I can send out the STDs. We're having our first meeting with the rabbi in a couple of weeks, and then we'll work on invitations. I have a good idea about BM dresses. A lot of the work is being done for me because our venue includes a lot of things.
    nestdancecrop1
  • Wow! Most of you ladies seem on your game!!

I think what I'm struggling with is my dress! We have everything except the officient booked but I have yet to try on a single dress. I wanted to lose 25lbs by our wedding Nov. 25th so I just thought it would be pointless to go try stuff on that I am not only not going to purchase because then I would have to pay so much in alterations later but the dress could also (and hopefully) look completely different on me 20lbs from now. In a way it's a good thing because it's a HUGE motivation to stick to my diet and whatnot but it gets a little depressing when I keep thinking to myself "I better hurry up or else I will never have a dress!"

I wanted to give a little advice from my experience to the brides struggling with budget or spending a lot on things like makeup. I am a freelance makeup artist in my area and I don't know how often I would have appreciated if a bride HAGGLED with me rather than just thinking they didn't want to spend that much on makeup and not communicating with me. With any vendor in the wedding industry, we would rather work with you with a price you can afford than not have the business at all. I have literally haggled with every one of my vendors because I know this. I have a pretty tight budget so when I get a quote from someone, like a photographer for instance, and see that it's too much I then tell them what I can spend and ask how we can make that work. A big way to save money on things like that and videography is I am paying for them by the hour rather than some package that includes all that and a coffee table book and things I don't need. So I'm paying for photography, videography, and DOC for the time that I will need them there so like from 3:30-8, because I really don't need 3 hours worth of pictures of people dancing haha.
    That's just a great way to save money and I have talked to friends who were recently married and when they told me they never haggled with their vendors I think "WHY NOT??"
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I feel lost!
    I got a dress, tux, and photographer.
    everything else is still up in the air...
    we had a venue picked and it ended not working out so we are starting everything from scratch :(
  • Right now I am stressing about the hotel reservations.  It is hard to decide how many rooms to book, becuase I don't know if people with double up or not.  We are doing the bridesmadis dresses next weekend, so that will be fun.  We have the venue, DJ hotel, cake, caterer and officiant.  I still have not picked out the plates and linens for the cocktail hour, or set up alterations appointments, we have not finalize the invitations yet but we have a date set to meet with our designer.  I am still making flowers for the bouquets, and trying to pickup things for the centerpieces.  Also I have no idea waht to do with my hair and transportation and tuxes are not figured out either.  The rehearsal dinner is a whole other story!  NOTHING IS DONE.  I am really stressing about time for the planning.  I need to set dates for the bridal showers and bachelorette party too.  We are doing our first registry experience in 3 weeks.  There feels like there is still soooo much to do!  AHHHHHH!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards