November 2012 Weddings
Options

Wedding Insurance?

Is anyone else considering wedding insurance? We're having a fairly large wedding, and I've worked for the last year so we could afford to do it and it would be awful to lose the money if (God forbid) something happened. FI is pushing for it, and while I know it's practical, it's at least $350 that will come out of our budget for potentially no reason. 
Wedding Countdown Ticker
November 2012 October Siggy - The Venue!
imageVilla

Re: Wedding Insurance?

• Options
    We have opted not to.  We have a clause in our reception contract about what happens if we need to cancel and whatnot. There is also a clause for hurricanes and snow storms.  So we kinda feel like we are covered.
  • Options
    We haven't talked about it yet, but I think (but am not positive), my venue might require it. My sister purchased it for hers because hers was an outdoor wedding in August in Central Oregon where we get a lot of fires and crazy weather. With the weather we've been having here, we might do it for the fact that it would cover us if we had a huge snow storm. It usually doesn't start snowing for about another week or two here, but you never know. :)
    imageNovember Board Siggy - The Venue!
    Photobucket
    The Great Hall at Sunriver Resort, Sunriver, Oregon
    243 Invited image
    172 Can't wait image
    71 Are missing out image

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Never heard of it to be honest

BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker image
    My BFP Chart
    || Ovulation Calendar image #1 BFP May 24/2012 - EDD Jan 21/2013 - M/C May 31/2012 #2 BFP Feb 5/2013 - EDD Oct 16/2013
  • Options
    I gather that wedding insurance is highly recommended and that it covers you in circumstances beyond your control, should the wedding have to be cancelled (heaven forbid) or postponed due to unforeseen circumstances (weather is one thing, but also a major family emergency, etc.) We have considered getting it but have not done it yet.

Our venue did tell us at one point that officially they do not provide any refunds but that they try to work with people if something major happened. There really isn't any guarantee though, unless it is in writing~  which is why it is a good thing to have the insurance.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    lls31lls31 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_november-2012-weddings_wedding-insurance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:46c2f53c-680c-4532-aa96-4cca92890b59Discussion:53ceb391-04a7-40d8-8090-4b2e66f74928Post:d18bd341-2e39-4620-b4e7-8712324d7bbf">Re: Wedding Insurance?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Never heard of it to be honest
    Posted by Miss_2010[/QUOTE]

<div>This.  Considering we never heard of it, we're not doing it.  </div>
    21811_10151174643987291_1046283999_n_zpsddfa358c Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Never heard of it. Our venue has a claus in our contract if something were to happen beyond our control and how it would be handled.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    The insurance is based on how big your wedding is and would cover if it had to be cancelled (God forbid) for any reason including death (of anyone, parents, bridal party, grandparents), fire, weather, ect. We'd get our deposits back from all the vendors and such. FI really wants to get it, but it almost seems like a waste. Thanks for mentioning that some of your venues have a clause, I didn't see that in my contract, but I'll ask our coordinator about it. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    November 2012 October Siggy - The Venue!
    imageVilla
  • Options
    Definitely buy wedding insurance even if it's a low cost minimal coverage plan. We had friends whose wedding was flat out canceled due to a hurricane and they didn't have insurance. They lost a ton of money. Check out this site for some great info and tips on how to go about insuring your big day http://www.celebrationideasonline.com/wedding-insurance.html
  • Options
    True "wedding insurance" has been described. It's like travel and disability insurance. It pays you back your deposits, etc., in case you have to cancel.

The kind of insurance required by venues is different. It's liability insurance. It's like auto liability insurance, or the personal liability provisions of homeowner's/renter's insurance, or umbrella insurance. It covers accidents that happen at a wedding that takes place as planned. Crazy example: The refrigerator at your venue goes out, but the caterer doesn't notice and serves spoiled food. Everyone gets sick and sues. Liability insurance covers you, the caterer, and the venue for the mistake. The caterer and venue will also have insurance, of course, but the venues want a special policy for the wedding to make it easier on them in the legal fights with the insurance companies that follow the legal fights with the sick guests.
  • Options
    My venue requires $1,000,000 in liability insurance which I looked into with one of the "wedding insurance" places and was quoted $150... called my insurance agency and I can add the $1,000,000 for the date of the wedding onto my renters policy for less than $20, so just something to consider for those that are required to get the liability insurance!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards