November 2012 Weddings

Working out!

FI and I went to take our engagement pics the other day, and the proofs really upset me. I know I'm not as thin as I used to be, but it was really surprising to see it, you know? I've picked up Jillian Michael's Ripped in 30 DVD to try an slim down for the big day and the honeymoon. Hopefully it's not too late to start seeing a change!

Any body else starting a work out routine?
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Visit NewOrleans.Weddings.com

Nov '12 September Siggy - Bridesmaids!
bridesmaids-2
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Working out!

• I have just been keeping up with my typical routine. I tend to focus on a healthy lifestyle not just getting in shape for one day! Good luck! I have the shred and like it!
  • Check out the getting in shape board, they are pretty good, I post there frequently.  We started being healthier last September.  I have been fluctuating between 13-16 lbs gone.  Basically we cut out take out, limited treat foods to just that, a treat on the weekend,  otherwise, upped the fruits and veggies, lots of water, etc.  We started with just walking most days of the week for about 45-60 minutes. 

There is still time to shed a few inches/pounds before November.  Read the first post or 2 on getting in shape and go from there
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker image
    My BFP Chart
    || Ovulation Calendar image #1 BFP May 24/2012 - EDD Jan 21/2013 - M/C May 31/2012 #2 BFP Feb 5/2013 - EDD Oct 16/2013
  • I was really serious about getting into shape at the beginning of the year, and since then I've been off and on.  I'm telling FI that we are going to the gym tonight and staying on track until the honeymoon.  I think right now I'm still down about 5 pounds, so that's better than nothing, but I would like to lose a little bit more before the big day!

imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • lls31lls31 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited August 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_november-2012-weddings_working-out-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:46c2f53c-680c-4532-aa96-4cca92890b59Discussion:665749dd-92ea-4204-a072-1d18fadd6951Post:bbac15a3-1d60-4450-a824-e3c220055539">Re:Working out!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have just been keeping up with my typical routine. I tend to focus on a healthy lifestyle not just getting in shape for one day! Good luck! I have the shred and like it!
    Posted by amymaysa[/QUOTE]

<div>Ditto this.</div><div>
    </div><div>ETA:  Although I wanted to add, don't expect to see huge results when you're just starting to work out less than 3 months from your wedding day.  It takes many months (if not years) to get and stay fit.</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
    21811_10151174643987291_1046283999_n_zpsddfa358c Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
  • I put on 12 lbs since I bought my dress... talk about panic mode... I tried it on last night and at least was able to zip it up, but still need to lose the12 and more before I'll be happy with myself. If you're an emotional eater like I am, just be carefull around stressful events... (mine was buying a new house, moving and family vacation with the in-laws-to-be all within a couple of months)...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I try to maintain a healthy lifestyle overall but at the same time as the wedding approaches and I have started having more wedding related parties to go to like my bridal shower/bachelorette.. I have definitely stepped up workouts in frequency and/or intensity depending on the week. I have Jillian Michael's 30 day shred and love it for those days I can't make it to Zumba or don't have a lot of time since it's only 20 min. I've also been doing a lot more strength compared to cardio and overall I feel stronger and better :)
    imageNovember 2012 November Siggy Challenge - Venue!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.weddingchannel.com/main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_november-2012-weddings_working-out-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:46c2f53c-680c-4532-aa96-4cca92890b59Discussion:665749dd-92ea-4204-a072-1d18fadd6951Post:68a7e361-f938-4ebc-b9d3-f975c42e389e">Working out!</a>:
    [QUOTE]FI and I went to take our engagement pics the other day, and the proofs really upset me. I know I'm not as thin as I used to be, but it was really surprising to see it, you know? I've picked up Jillian Michael's Ripped in 30 DVD to try an slim down for the big day and the honeymoon. Hopefully it's not too late to start seeing a change! Any body else starting a work out routine?
    Posted by AlmostMrsStrong[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Don't eat carbs after 5:00 p.m. Work out daily such as a 20 minutes walk. Be active. </div>
  • Agree w/PP regarding no carbs at night. I've lost about 6 lbs so far from watching what I eat. It may not sound like much but it is a lot to me because prior to that I always seemed to be gaining. I bought weights to work on my arms (sleeveless dress : ) )  I would love to lose more so going to step it up with cardio.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_november-2012-weddings_working-out-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:46c2f53c-680c-4532-aa96-4cca92890b59Discussion:665749dd-92ea-4204-a072-1d18fadd6951Post:45d659f3-2540-4379-a2b5-41692170b27b">Re: Working out!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Working out! : Don't eat carbs after 5:00 p.m. Work out daily such as a 20 minutes walk. Be active. 
    Posted by lovingmaganda[/QUOTE]

<div>I've never heard of this before and I have been working out and eating healthy for the past 10+ years.  I don't get home from work until 6:30 and usually sit down for dinner around 7:30.  I'm not supposed to eat any carbs for dinner?  </div><div>
    </div><div>When you're working out, your body needs carbs.  OP, I'm not sure I would take this advice.  </div>
    21811_10151174643987291_1046283999_n_zpsddfa358c Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_november-2012-weddings_working-out-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:46c2f53c-680c-4532-aa96-4cca92890b59Discussion:665749dd-92ea-4204-a072-1d18fadd6951Post:45d659f3-2540-4379-a2b5-41692170b27b">Re: Working out!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Working out! : Don't eat carbs after 5:00 p.m. Work out daily such as a 20 minutes walk. Be active. 
    Posted by lovingmaganda[/QUOTE]

No carbs after 5pm is not always doable. I don't leave work till 5pm. I eat healthy and try to limit how much pasta/bread/rice I have been having in general. But no carbs at all is very hard b/c carbs are in veggies and fruits...and frankly, just a chicken breast for dinner get pretty old after a while.

It can certainly make a difference, when you cut out carbs, but I personally don't think it's a realistic way to go about being healthy. I would try to limit the bread/pasta/rice, just to see if it helps, but don't go crazy
  • It works if you're going to drop pounds quickly...but keeping in mind you'll pack it back on the second you eat a potato.  Do what many have said, certainly limit your carbs.  Ie: instead of a free for all with rice or pasta, 1/2 cup cooked but pack on the protein and veggies.  Have a peice of fruit versus fruit juice.  Balance a carb with a protein, ie: apple and cheese or pb.  Especially the WEEK of the wedding which is hard...avoid/strictly limit cakes, sweets, tons of fruits, carbs, fast food, etc.  Fill up on proteins, greek yogurt, veggies  and lots of water for your wedding dress!

You may not lose what you want to in a 3 month time frame, but you'll lose something.  The main thing is you do it for yourself, not the dress :)
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker image
    My BFP Chart
    || Ovulation Calendar image #1 BFP May 24/2012 - EDD Jan 21/2013 - M/C May 31/2012 #2 BFP Feb 5/2013 - EDD Oct 16/2013
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_november-2012-weddings_working-out-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:46c2f53c-680c-4532-aa96-4cca92890b59Discussion:665749dd-92ea-4204-a072-1d18fadd6951Post:289face9-b597-477e-866c-d346537b3c60">Re:Working out!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Working out! : Ditto this. ETA:  Although I wanted to add, don't expect to see huge results when you're just starting to work out less than 3 months from your wedding day.  It takes many months (if not years) to get and stay fit.
    Posted by lls31[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. I know when I stop working out for any length of time longer than a week, I always have to work myself back up to where I was before I stopped. Start a consistent workout program 3-5x/week and clean up your eating and you will see some changes. Drink lots of water - it'll help with water retention. Ignore the no carbs after 5 pm poster. It's absurd to even give that kind of advice. Your body needs carbohydrates to function, and I don't care what Dr. Atkins says. Identify any negative food behaviors you find yourself engaging in on a regular basis and work to correct them (I know this is easier said than done - I'm living proof - I know what I need to do to eat better, but I don't do it because of laziness and complacency). You can probably safely lose 10-15 lbs in the next three months, depending on your body, just by making manageable diet changes and increasing your activity level.

If you're just starting out with working out regularly, take it slowly. It's easy to get excited about a new exercise program, and that can lead to you overzealously pushing your body much harder than it's ready for right now. I see you'll be working out with Jillian Michaels. My advice is to be very careful. I think she goes way too fast and doesn't do some of the moves correctly. I ended up hurting my back working out to one of her DVDs and only now after almost two months am I feeling well enough to get back into exercising regularly (that and laziness, in part, spurred by fear of hurting my back even worse).

Good luck to you.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_november-2012-weddings_working-out-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:46c2f53c-680c-4532-aa96-4cca92890b59Discussion:665749dd-92ea-4204-a072-1d18fadd6951Post:289face9-b597-477e-866c-d346537b3c60">Re:Working out!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Working out! : Ditto this. ETA:  Although I wanted to add, don't expect to see huge results when you're just starting to work out less than 3 months from your wedding day.  It takes many months (if not years) to get and stay fit.
    Posted by lls31[/QUOTE]

I've been watching what I eat and getting more active for about a year and a half now, and dropped about 30 pounds (was 215 at my heaviest, fluxuating between 185-190 right now). I realized that just watching what I'm eating isn't making me tighter (kind of a 'Duh!' moment, lol). I'm not really worried about losing weight so much as being fit - I'm 5'10", I'm not supposed to be a size 6. I definitely intend to keep working out beyond the wedding and honeymoon. This has just been kind of a wake-up call/motivation to get back on the right track after the disaster that was college.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Visit NewOrleans.Weddings.com

Nov '12 September Siggy - Bridesmaids!
    bridesmaids-2
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm going to start running again.  I don't need to lose weight just firm up.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards