November 2012 Weddings
Options

"No kids" reminder?

Hi.  So I've been engaged for two weeks today:)  Being the organized person that I am, I've already ordered my dress, bridesmaids dresses, secured a venue, and am currently working on my guest list and ordering invitations.  This is where my dilemma comes into play.  The venue we've chosen can hold a maximum of 125 people.  We are trying to stay closer to 110-115, to not only keep it from being super "crowded" feeling, but also to keep the cost of food, etc. down.  Each extra person over 100 will be an additional amount.  I realize that proper etiquette is that only the person(s) named on the invitation show up for the wedding.  I have quite a few friends that have small children.  I DO NOT want un-invited children at my reception.  There will be 7 children there that are close family....they are the only children I want at my wedding/reception.  How do I kindly remind people that their children are not invited??  Thanks.

Re: "No kids" reminder?

• Options
    Will you have a wedding website?  You might want to post something on there like "Due to the nature of our venue, we respectfully request that the ceremony and reception are adults only." 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image
  • Options
    I would post something on a wedding website.

Etiquette wise, you shouldn't put anything on an invites, save the dates, etc. When addressing things, only address to the parents. You will most likey receive RSVPs back with children noted, so be prepared to address that when the time comes. Also, be prepared for some folks to make not come b/c of this.

Tha's really all you can do!
  • Options
    dana3680dana3680 member
    First Comment
    edited May 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_november-2012-weddings_no-kids-reminder?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:46c2f53c-680c-4532-aa96-4cca92890b59Discussion:7d0f8b56-953b-4635-a19d-f21ab5c4d0a2Post:ff836aee-0dc2-4ce3-ba1b-cf0e0770e4b9">Re: "No kids" reminder?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Will you have a wedding website?  You might want to post something on there like "Due to the nature of our venue, we respectfully request that the ceremony and reception are adults only." 
    Posted by Ayntastic[/QUOTE]

I do have a website! Good idea. I liked your wording too:). Thanks!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_november-2012-weddings_no-kids-reminder?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:46c2f53c-680c-4532-aa96-4cca92890b59Discussion:7d0f8b56-953b-4635-a19d-f21ab5c4d0a2Post:12be3f30-8716-44c0-8918-c1f27d00f2da">Re: "No kids" reminder?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would post something on a wedding website. Etiquette wise, you shouldn't put anything on an invites, save the dates, etc. When addressing things, only address to the parents. You will most likey receive RSVPs back with children noted, so be prepared to address that when the time comes. Also, be prepared for some folks to make not come b/c of this. Tha's really all you can do!
    Posted by amymaysa[/QUOTE]

Thank you, I appreciate your help.
  • Options
    Well on the invites you'll just have "Mr and Mrs so and so" written on it.  So hopefully they would assume that means 2 people, not more.  If they did write down 3 or 4 names after that, then I'd call them.  But if they are close friends of yours to start with, then I would just have it as general discussion or be outright and say "yeah we are only inviting close family children, otherwise its adults only". 
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker image
    My BFP Chart
    || Ovulation Calendar image #1 BFP May 24/2012 - EDD Jan 21/2013 - M/C May 31/2012 #2 BFP Feb 5/2013 - EDD Oct 16/2013
  • Options
    kfraskfras member
    First Comment
    Etiquette wise, you are not supposed to officially write anything on the invitations. But when ordering invitations they have as an option for the reception cards "an adult reception will be following the ceremony" I would tell you to do this, if I wasn't terrified of getting my head bit off by the etiquette police. lol. But seriously, you can definitely have it on the website or spread by word of mouth. Just don't be surprised if you hear from someone "Why was so-and-so allowed to bring their kids?" referring to your close family members who you are including.

A good way I have seen is to have the response cards say "__ of __ are attending."

Then for each card you can fill in the second number. (for example __ of _2_ are attending for a couple). they could either write "_2_ of _2_" or "_0_ of _2_" but they would probably not write _4_ of _2_ including their children.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards