November 2012 Weddings

XP: Shampoo/conditioner recommendation

Posted this on the Wedding Beauty board as well.  Over the past 6 months or so, I've been in search of a new shampoo and conditioner.  I've tried several different brands and nothing seems to help.  I have very thin, damaged hair.  I've been using Macadamia Oil products to help with the damage and I've seen improvement.  However, that doesn't help the fact that my hair is still very thin.  If anyone has similar hair, I would love to hear what you use!
21811_10151174643987291_1046283999_n_zpsddfa358c Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker

Re: XP: Shampoo/conditioner recommendation

• Have you considered Wen? I have heard great things about it. Might be worth it to try it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I would try Wen.  I wish these companies would sell some trial size bottles though.  I have spent a TON of money on various different shampoos and conditioners.  I'm just so sick of wasting money on products that don't help my hair (or make it even worse).

Thanks for your input!
  • I would go see your doctor - perhaps the reason for your thin hair is a hormonal imbalance; it maybe a thyroid disorder as well.  If so, he/she can prescribe you something or he/may refer you to a dermatologist for further investigation.

Does this run in the family?  They say that losing hair/early baldness comes from the mother's side of the family, in which case, there isn't much to be done.  Have you tried women's Rogaine?  That might help.

Just some things to consider.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_november-2012-weddings_xp-shampooconditioner-recommendation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:46c2f53c-680c-4532-aa96-4cca92890b59Discussion:ce7365dc-9b8b-4760-96f2-da41748a191cPost:b9d89355-8c5a-46c8-a9dc-ca7765b832f2">Re: XP: Shampoo/conditioner recommendation</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would try Wen.  I wish these companies would sell some trial size bottles though.  I have spent a TON of money on various different shampoos and conditioners.  I'm just so sick of wasting money on products that don't help my hair (or make it even worse). Thanks for your input!
    Posted by lls31[/QUOTE]

If you look on QVC.com, I think they have trial packs of Wen...I was thinking about trying it too
  • Jewel224 - Next time I go to the doctor, I will ask about it.  I'm not sure it's a medical issue though.  My hair has been fine and thin since I was a little kid.  My mom and sister have the same problem and they have been struggling to find a good thickening shampoo/conditioner as well.

I don't know too much about Rogaine.  I'm not so much having an issue with losing hair - it's just naturally thin.  I wonder if that could help thicken it though.  I will definitely look into it.  Thanks for the suggestions!

My biggest problem right now is the damage.  I damaged  my hair with a flat iron a while back and it hasn't been the same since.  Any products designed to repair damaged hair tend to soften it, which doesn't help me.  My hair is so fine and thin that I basically do not even need to use conditioner - so the softening aspects of the repair treatments make my hair appear even thinner than usual.

amymaysa - I will definitely check out QVC!  Thanks!
  • Another thing to try - get rid of all the damaged ends by getting a good a haircut. I just had to do that to mine - my ends were so dried out and split from the flat iron.  I have pretty thin hair too, but I didn`t use to, which is why i suggested women`s Rogaine.  To be honest, what works for me is Pantene`s volume shampoo, conditioner and styling products for fine hair, especially hair spray.  That, a blow dryer and a big round brush.
  • I  had really damaged hair due to me bleaching it a lot and my hair dresser recommended Pureology Repair shampoo and conditioner.  It is expensive so I just bought the conditioner at first and my hair has drastically improved since I started using it the past year!  The salon gave me some of those sample package things and then I ended up finding it cheaper on amazon.  It was a huge bottle but it lasted almost an entire year!
  • Funny enough, I just got back to the salon. I have very curly hair that I straighten and it was pretty damaged, but with regular haircuts and some keratin treatments it's gotten pretty healthy. Keratin can be expensive, but they have groupon/living social deals for them a lot. The protien in it has sealed a lot of the damage and given my hair a chance to grow out healthier. 

I actually hadn't done the Keratin in a while and I was going to get a deep conditioning treatment, but my hair dresser actually suggested doing a Simply Smooth keratin treatment. It was only $50, and lasts about 1 month (the keratin treatment lasts about 4-6 if you take care of it) and has protien and moisturizers in it that will keep my hair stronger than just the conditioning treatment. I also use sulfate free shampoo - either Moroccan Oil or Coppola's Keratin line. It is expensive, but for me at least it's worth it and I can find it on Overstock.com cheaper. They also sell trial sizes of both if you want to try it. 

I also have been taking biotin supplements for the last few months and it's accelerated the growth of my hair (it's not a cure all, but my hair has certainly grown faster over the last few months than it ever did before). 

Sorry for the long post, but I hope that helps!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    November 2012 October Siggy - The Venue!
    imageVilla
  • edited February 2012

Funny you should ask! I bought Wen a few weeks ago because I saw it on an early morning infomercial, and I LOVE it! I have thick(ish), wavey/curly, really long, hair, and I always felt like it was so damaged. Wen has made my hair so much healthier, I think it's totally worth trying. I like how it's just one step, so I don't have to shampoo and then condition. Shampoo is so bad for your hair, and Wen is a cleansing conditioner. You can get a 7 oz. bottle on Amazon for $23.00. I know it's expensive, but I love it so much I just paid $60.00 for the 32 oz... Anyway, now I sound like an infomercial.

P.S. If you do try Wen, make sure you follow the directions. If anyone says they hate Wen... they are NOT using it correctly.

• seriously, the Wen is the most amazing thing that has ever been made. a woman at work gave me a few days sample and holy goodness, its amazing. my hair has never been this nice. if u order it from qvc, if you dont like it you just return it with no problems. seriously consider it, its freaking amazing. just remember to use alot of it bc if u dont, ur hair will feel greasy. its such a weird concept bc its a cleansing conditioner, but it does work.
    Nov 2012 Siggy: The ring!
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards