November 2012 Weddings
Options

Wedding Cake Dilemma

Be forewarned, I know I am a little crazy. Having said that, I have decided to make my own wedding cake. I work in a bakery, and have the skills to do it, so that's not the problem. 

The problem I am having is that my FH and most of his family, including his sister who is my MOH, are diabetic. The sugar in the cake and frosting are not what I am concerned about: Splenda is amazing and can do almost anything! I am not even worried about the white flour for the cake, because I plan on using almond flour (which has fewer carbs and is high in protein). 

Where I am confused lies in the issue of fondant. Fondant can only be made with sugar. And if I want to make a tiered cake, I would need to use fondant. So, my options are to not have a tiered cake for my wedding; or to have two cakes.

What should I do?

Re: Wedding Cake Dilemma

• Options
    I'm sure they'll be fine.  Most people don't like fondant anyways.  But if you're really concerned, see what they think.  If you have the 2 separate cakes, you can always have them on 2 different tiered cake stands so as to appear 2-tiered.
  • Options
    I hate fondant personally. 2 cakes would be fine. Or one big one...anything works
  • Options
    We're having a tiered cake with buttercream rather than fondant.  I personally think it looks just as nice.  I'm not a fan of fondant either.  
    21811_10151174643987291_1046283999_n_zpsddfa358c Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Everyone says fondant can be pulled off. They're diabetic, not allergic to sugar beets and sugar cane. In that case, they couldn't just eat around the dangerous parts. They can remove the fondant from the one cake, the insides of which are diabetic-friendly.
  • Options
    I agree, if they are diabetic they can just remove the fondant. I find the fondant is more for the look of the cake than for the eating of the cake.
  • Options
    Are you doing a groom's cake? It may be easier to make a regular bridal cake, and then a diabetic-friendly groom's cake.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Visit NewOrleans.Weddings.com

Nov '12 September Siggy - Bridesmaids!
    bridesmaids-2
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards