Washington-Seattle
Options

Dress Shopping - Tips and Hints?

I'm going to look at wedding dresses this Sunday and would love any advice, tips, or hints you might have! I've already gone through a few magazines and found a couple styles I enjoy. I'm not dead set on one style/type of dress, but definitely want something comfortable. Also, any suggestions on what type/style of undergarments to wear when I go to the salon? I'm not a big "shopper" so I'm hoping this is relatively pain-free. I AM taking my bridesmaids, MOH, and mom. Any help appreciated!

Thanks.

Re: Dress Shopping - Tips and Hints?

• Options
    LGM22LGM22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just brought my strapless bra (it was Black - I didn't buy anything special) and and my spanx.  

Though I went to the shop specifically because they had the dress I wanted to try on I did try to keep an open mind for other styles.  I thought I was going to have a white dress but both my Mom and the shop owner told me no no - Ivory.  apparently unless you plan to tan, ivory looks better - or at least with my pale complexion it does.  I didn't believe them until I tried on a white dress and then an ivory dress, turns out Mom's do know best;)

Even if you don't have your shoes yet for the wedding day, I think bringing shoes that would be the same height of what you're going to be wearing might help.  i know when she took my measurements that was taken into consideration.
  • Options
    KdheinyKdheiny member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks @LGM22.

I read in a magazine that ivory is better for pale complexion, and since I'm a red head, I definitely fit into that category. It's good to hear it from a real person too.

I DO have my shoes and I've been flip-flopping on whether to bring them or not. (hehe, they aren't flip-flops either) I guess I'll bring them along :)

I am sure glad it's a Friday. Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    LGM22LGM22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm pale skinned and sort of red head - auburn naturally, I dye it red (well, not right now - and let me tell you, 9 months before your wedding if you want to freak your Mother out, dye your hair black!)  and my skin is pretty pale.  I don't tan, I burn - thank you Irish heritage.  The ivory looks MUCH better against my skin tone.

I'm going barefoot on my wedding day, slippers for the reception - and so the salon owner made sure to make note of that on the order form.  But there definitely was a place for heel length (and I'm pretty sure that meant shoes!)

Where are you going?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Try on various styles and fabrics (good to go in with an open mind since a dress may look totally different on the hanger than on your body).  Comfort was big for me too and while I liked the look of mermaid/trumpet styles, I couldn't imagine wearing something like that the whole day.  Also make sure your sales consultant/person pins back the dresses really well so you get the best idea of what the dress looks like in your size.  Also, take photos of the dresses if the stores allow you and have fun =).  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I just got my dress last week!

1. bring a strapless nude bra - all though all the salons had a corset for me.
    2. bring tears - but tell the sales person helping you don't limit it to those items, you'll be surprised how things look different once you try them on - I would just tell her what you definitly DON'T want.
    3. Tell them your budget - every salon I went to was respectful of how much I wanted to spend.
    4. You are bringing a lot of people, hopefully everyone is respectful and not too opinionated. At the end of the day - YOU have to love the dress and while I'm sure you value their opinions, don't let them deter you from getting something you really love.
    5. Have fun!! It's a surreal experience. I had to go back 3 times to make my final decision.
  • Options
    KdheinyKdheiny member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the help. I ended up finding the "one"! I went to I Do Bridal in Wallingford and would recommend it for anyone! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards