Washington-Seattle

Etiquette for address wording for semi-formal wedding STD and Invite

I'm an etiquette rebel, and I don't want to do the whole Mr. and Mrs. John Smith when I address out our STDs, nor do I want to do it for our invites.

Our wedding will be semi-formal, at a barn venue, with BBQ food, and a 2:00 ceremony, with the reception ending at 9:00-ish in the evening.

I think adding the "Mr, Mrs, Ms" prefix will be too formal for our paper goods.  The invites will have a mailing envelope with a pocketfold serving as the "inner envelope."

Am I a horrible person, and will the Etiquette gods smite me?  I mean, this is the Pacific Northwest, I don't HAVE to do it, do I? 
OMH est. May 7, 2011
Photo courtesy of jennygg.com
My never updated Planning/Married Bio: http://mgoss228.weebly.com/
Seattle Knotties: Please page me if you send me a PM!

Re: Etiquette for address wording for semi-formal wedding STD and Invite

• edited December 2011
    No you do not! We did not use Mr. or Mrs. at all EVER on ANYTHING! We are not formal people with our friends and family, so why start now? Plus, the wording really sets the tone for the wedding. If you use formal language, the guests will prepare for and expect a formal wedding...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mgoss228mgoss228 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you!  That is exactly what I was thinking Smile  My FMIL emailed me the addresses of FI's side of the family, and besides each address were formal prefixes for each household in parentheses.  And I started to worry that I was being some horrible etiquette-slob or something.

OMH est. May 7, 2011
    Photo courtesy of jennygg.com
    My never updated Planning/Married Bio: http://mgoss228.weebly.com/
    Seattle Knotties: Please page me if you send me a PM!
  • amandaswamandasw member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it's pretty dramatic to say it would be horrible - I don't think people care as long as the invite matches to the feel of the wedding.  If you wanted a super formal wedding, but did the invites informal, people would consider that 'confusing' I guess, but it's perfectly normal to change the invite formality to go with the theme of the wedding!
  • ckonidakckonidak member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with PP's. Keep it honest to your style and wedding tone, and you'll be just fine!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards