Wedding Woes
Options

Judge with me, please!!!

My FB feed is just chock full of things ripe and ready for the judging today...Or maybe I'm just feeling extra biotchy. Whatever. 
Anyways, a friend of mine just announced the name for her soon to be born daughter. *drumroll please*

RaeAnna Nayeli Rayne Lastname
Pronounced Ray-Onna Nay-eel-ee Rain

*smdh*

Re: Judge with me, please!!!

• Options
    One of my fb friends has a little girl named Hope, and is pregnant with the next, which is named Faith. I can't decide what I think about it yet... Kind of annoyingly sweet , or just annoying. DH thinks its trashy... I kind of agree.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_judge-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:1b284c54-f9d1-4fa2-8c27-199176890980Post:9fa167bc-c3e8-4b14-937b-c12b44f6d8ca">Re: Judge with me, please!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]One of my fb friends has a little girl named Hope, and is pregnant with the next, which is named Faith. I can't decide what I think about it yet... Kind of annoyingly sweet , or just annoying. DH thinks its trashy... I kind of agree.
    Posted by EdsdollfaceJen[/QUOTE]

How exactly are those names trashy? I mean, I get they could possibly be eye-roll worthy, but trashy, really?

OP, what about that name is so awful? Is it the 2 middle names or the pronunciation that is so appalling to you?

Of all the bad/annoying names that are out there, IMO, this is not horrible.
  • Options
    The way it sounds, the way its spelled, the way it sounds with their last name, the fact that you need a pronunciation guide to know how its supposed to sound...Seriously, the first 3 comments were along the lines of "how do you pronounce that?" 

Also, those names might be beautiful if paired with an ethnic last name, but I live in Arkansas, and their last name is very...hillbilly-ish? It just sounds silly, especially said in a hillbilly accent.  I live in a town where the word wash is pronounced "warsh" and pecans are called "pee-cans"...so this name, said by her parents and family, sounds something like Ray-Owna Nay-eeeeeelie Rayun. 

• Options
    Pecans are ONLY pronounced pee-cans. I hate you pretentious motherfuckers and your peCAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHNS. ;) 

QueenJane, that name is flat-out awful. For someone who chose to be a Jane on the internet, I'm amazed you can't see that. 

And I totally get that Hope and Faith, sisters, are trashy. It just has that earnest trailer feel to it. 
  • Options
    Though it is a bit long, I actually really like that name! But I'm black and I can't really see it on a white baby, if the baby is white. Especially in the south! :-)

Hope and Faith? I guess I could see how that's trashy to some people. To me it's more... I don't know, almost arrogant sounding. Or sweet, if I put my positive pants on.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_judge-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:1b284c54-f9d1-4fa2-8c27-199176890980Post:69ccb9eb-ba1e-4f74-bec3-8e8be7227635">Re: Judge with me, please!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Though it is a bit long, I actually really like that name! But I'm black and <strong>I can't really see it on a white baby, if the baby is white.</strong> Especially in the south! :-) Hope and Faith? I guess I could see how that's trashy to some people. To me it's more... I don't know, almost arrogant sounding. Or sweet, if I put my positive pants on.
    Posted by batfacepattermonth[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>You know, I was going to say this, but I didn't want to go there for fear of offending somone. I feel the same way, it does sound very ethnic, and the parents are both very white...Actually, now that I think about it, that may be WHY they chose that name too, the parents both try to act "gangsta" (hard to do in AR without looking like an idiot) and speak in ebonics...its hilariously sad. </div>
  • Options
    QueenJane's real name must be Nayeli Faith. I can think of no other reason for her to be defending these names.
  • Options
    I don't think it's by any means a great name, or one I would use, but compared to some I've seen posted it's not the worst.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_judge-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:1b284c54-f9d1-4fa2-8c27-199176890980Post:0bc8def1-bd8d-4195-8f48-9040624e08b0">Re: Judge with me, please!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Judge with me, please!!! : You know, I was going to say this, but I didn't want to go there for fear of offending somone. I feel the same way, it does sound very ethnic, and the parents are both very white...Actually, now that I think about it, that may be WHY they chose that name too, the parents both try to act "gangsta" (hard to do in AR without looking like an idiot) and speak in ebonics...its hilariously sad. 
    Posted by seesawgirl[/QUOTE]

<div>HA! Gangsta... that IS hilariously sad. They will probably grow out of that some day, and the poor kid will be stuck with that ill-fitting name. At least they didn't choose some gangsta-rap type name, I guess. :-P</div>
  • Options
    skippylouwhoskippylouwho member
    First Comment
    edited January 2012
    My sister-in-law couldn't conceive. After much treatment she had Faith who is now 22 and graduates from college this year.  They didn't think they would be blessed again but lo and behold... Hope is now 19 and in college, planning on medical school to be a doctor.

They had the the faith to keep trying and in order to receive what they so much hoped for.
  • Options
    ViczaesarViczaesar member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2012
    Nayeli is a Native American (Zapotec) phrase meaning "I love you."  Only they pronounce it nah YEH lee. 

• Options
    Yeah, they aren't native american either, and she claims to have made the name up herself. Pronounced THAT way, it would be better though. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards