Wedding Woes

Santa question

If you believed in Santa, when did you stop?  I honestly can't remember.

DH and I are 98% sure Son still believes.  He's 10 and in 5th grade.  We were talking about the holidays coming up and he made a comment about santa's presents being free.  DH says you can't fake it that well.

On one hand, I feel happy that he's still got this childhood fantasy.  On the other, I can see him coming home from school after talking to his friends about it, pissed at us for letting him believe for so long.

I guess we're good at being sneaky?

Re: Santa question

• mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The kiddo knows the jig is up. 

He's in 5th grade and 10.  I think it was last year he asked and we told him the truth.
  • loveshine1loveshine1 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think like 4th grade? I'm not really sure.

I think it's wonderful when kids still believe in Santa. So cute. I'm looking forward to it with A.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

I questioned at 6, but was afraid to say anything JUST IN CASE.  At 7 I saw my dad shoving cookies down his throat.  I let my parents think I believed until I was 9.

• baconsmombaconsmom member
    5 Love Its First Answer First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I was 8, and some kid in my class burst my bubble. I went home crying because he was so mean about it, like I was the stupidest person ever for having believed in Santa at all. 

Bacon still believes in everything, which is good, because the Tooth Fairy hasn't even made an appearance yet. And strangely though I knew about Santa at 8, I didn't connect it to the Easter Bunny or the Tooth Fairy (who hadn't yet made an appearance for me at 8, either.). 
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    edited December 2011
    I lost the tooth fairy when I parents forget to give me money.  I saw my brother sneaking in to put mioney in.  Mom and dad were p!ssed beccause he'd given me a dollar when they only gave a quarter.
  • mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Story:

The kiddo told my nieces that the tooth fairy wasn't real.  Littlest niece lost a tooth recently, got paid, AND THEN told SIL she knew the tooth fairy wasn't real.  Told SIL that she was told by the kiddo AND the kiddo told her and older niece not to tell SIL or DH.  

Yeah, we had a sitdown with the kiddo.  Especially since he has a little brother now and my nephew is only 3.   If he ruined Santa, tooth fairy, Easter Bunny, etc. for my nephew,  my sister would have an aneurysm. 
  • GBCKGBCK member
    edited December 2011
    ,y babysis still believed in 5th grade--big sis and I pushed it hard though.

My 1st grade teacher told me there was no santa (I DID NOT ASK).  So...I quit by age 5
  • TheDuckisTheDuckis member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think I was in 3rd or 4th grade, so 8-9? I think the whole thing just completely stopped making sense to me, so I asked my dad.

My parents made it something that my older brother and I were "in on" with them. So we got to help set out the presents after the younger kids went to bed. And I remember getting into BIG trouble when my carpool asked me if I believed in Santa and I truthfully said no. I wasn't mean about it, and I didn't say he definitely wasn't real, I just answered the question. It was the first time my mom called me a btch.
  • GBCKGBCK member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_santa-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:29d079f5-f787-4888-afc4-52c375641a32Post:ae2d8a6d-24d0-47a7-b5ec-ef4ec12943c0">Re: Santa question</a>:
    [QUOTE]i also think that if you accidentally tell a kid that santa isn't real when he or she is 10 years old, you're doing them a favor, and it's not a bad thing.
    Posted by Wifezzilla[/QUOTE]

I know people who work hard to make the kids believe at that age and...I dunno, it's kinda gaslighting at that point--making them doubt their own senses.
  • jolla92126jolla92126 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I knew by second grade. It just didn't add up.

That's when I became an atheist, too (same reason).

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards