Wedding Woes
Options

Awesome neighbors

Our neighbors are awesome people. They make a ton of noise, let their kids scream constantly, insist on locking their car doors 3-4 times (with simultaneous honking, of course) each and every time they leave the vehicle, and best of all, letting their kids play in our front yard & peek in our windows. They're really stand-up, considerate people.

For the last 2+ weeks, there's been a car parked out in front of our house. We had no idea whose it was and we'd never seen it before. I finally called the city last week to have it towed (which takes 3-4 days, minimum).

The next day, the neighbor across the street flagged down H as he was getting home from work. We like this guy - he's like the neighborhood watch and he's a nice Midwestern grandpa. When they were talking, H asked if he knew whose car that was.

The guy said yeah, it was our awesome neighbor's grandma's car. She'd gone to Florida for a month or so, and they had nowhere else to park it. They'd tried to park it in front of their house, but he told them no dice, so they moved it in front of ours.

WTF. They already have two cars PLUS their nanny's car. They're constantly parking in front of our house, leaving H nowhere to park his car. They have a damn garage, too. And god forbid they say anything about it being their car.

We went back & forth all weekend on whether or not to tell them their car was going to be towed. Finally we heard them honking about in the front yard last night, so H went and said something.

What did they do? They moved it down the block, in front of someone else's house. I really hope the city sees it and still tows it. 

Re: Awesome neighbors

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Fvck it. I'd call the city and tell them what was up. That they moved it, but it was still an abandoned vehicle in your neighborhood, and it will continue to be for the next 30 days, despite them moving it tem feet or so at a time.

Also, stink eye those kids peeping your windows. Behold the power of shame.
  • Options
    MrsMyrtleMrsMyrtle member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Abandoned = unmoved for 72 hours.

Before we knew it was their car, we were absolutely going to have it towed. People abandon cars around here all the damn time. It's a problem. And a lot of the time, they're stolen vehicles. 
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I somehow didn't finish my thought. 

Abandoned = unmoved for 72 hours. That car (that we'd never seen before) sat for two WEEKS. 
  • Options
    L_WoodsL_Woods member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Anything left more than 3 days (without moving) is grounds for towing around here. My mom has had several cars towed as abandoned for that very reason. She's nutso though, because it's not like she can't park her car because of it, she just thinks cars parked on the street is ugly.

Either way, there's nothing wrong with calling to have a car removed after several days of being stagnant, IMO. Good move on calling. And WTF at kids peeping in your windows. Do you say anything about that?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    GBCKGBCK member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_awesome-neighbors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:2e892c34-fe0f-4e7d-8e65-898f29813c90Post:dae1ef54-ad57-4abe-9b5d-77ce1cadc998">Re: Awesome neighbors</a>:
    [QUOTE]wait, how is it abandoned if it has up to date registration, license plates, and wheels?
    Posted by Wifezzilla[/QUOTE]

neighborhoods I've been in, a car that isn't MOVED for X amt of time = abandoned.

I generally side-eye the whole "but I want the section of the public street in front of my house!" thing but to just leave something there indefinately...well, there are rules against that for a reason.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    California is really picky about how long you can leave a car, unmoved, in the street. If they put it in their garage, or driveway, it can still for as long as they want to keep it.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh yeah - I caught them red-handed, with their nanny WATCHING them do it. She was all, "Oh, sorry. You don't mind, right?"

Me: Yeah. I do. 
  • Options
    GBCKGBCK member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_awesome-neighbors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:2e892c34-fe0f-4e7d-8e65-898f29813c90Post:d76ab58a-16a5-476b-b7fc-5ae577eb39e7">Re: Awesome neighbors</a>:
    [QUOTE]have you reported many stolen abandoned vehicles? i'm just curious. i don't mean to react so strongly, but i don't have a parking garage to myself here. H and I have left our car parked on the street for up to a week because of going on vacation or whatever. i would be furious if someone had our car towed because they didn't like where I parked. i didn't know it is illegal in some cities or states to park on a street for a certain amount of time.
    Posted by Wifezzilla[/QUOTE]

That's usually implied w/ the 'no parking on any village street from 2-4 am' signs I thought?

(I don't live where there IS street parking so I've never reported anyone--or to be fair I have but only because their car = traffic hazard)
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_awesome-neighbors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:2e892c34-fe0f-4e7d-8e65-898f29813c90Post:d76ab58a-16a5-476b-b7fc-5ae577eb39e7">Re: Awesome neighbors</a>:
    [QUOTE]have you reported many stolen abandoned vehicles? i'm just curious. i don't mean to react so strongly, but i don't have a parking garage to myself here. H and I have left our car parked on the street for up to a week because of going on vacation or whatever. i would be furious if someone had our car towed because they didn't like where I parked. i didn't know it is illegal in some cities or states to park on a street for a certain amount of time.
    Posted by Wifezzilla[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>This was the first time I've called about a vehicle. I'm afraid I don't have the capability to run plates myself. ;)</div>
  • Options
    HeffalumpHeffalump member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2011

FWIW, I hate random cars in front of our house.  I'm all Jessica Fletcher over it, peeping through the blinds, hissing at DH, "What do you think it's doing there?  Whose is it?"

Zilla, I think if you live in a place where garages/driveways aren't as common, The Law is understandably more lenient.  But if most people have them AND there's a problem with abandoning vehicles, then it's understandable.

• Options
    L_WoodsL_Woods member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Zilla, I'm one of those super curious people so I looked up NY vehicle and traffic code - Sec. 1224 covers abandoned vehicles.

Vehicles are deemed abandoned in NY: 
    (a) with no number plates affixed thereto, for more than six hours  on
      any highway or other public place;
        (b)  for  more  than  twenty-four hours on any highway or other public
      place, except a portion of a highway or public place on which parking is
      legally permitted;
        (c) for more than forty-eight hours, after the parking of such vehicle
      shall have become illegal, if left on a portion of a highway  or  public
      place on which parking is legally permitted;
        (d)  for  more  than  ninety-six  hours on property of another if left
      without permission of the owner.

As someone else mentioned, they probably don't hold to this as a hard and fast thing (and it likely takes a few days to get someone out there to tow).

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    When my mom was out of town on a trip with a friend, the friend left her car in the street. One of our neighbors had it towed. I grew up with this, so it doesn't sound weird to me. If I lived in NY, this would sound alien to me, I am sure.
  • Options
    ~~Busy.~~~~Busy.~~ member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Zilla, your car was burried for days under the snow.  You should have reported yourself just to get your car freed from that moutain.
  • Options
    zsazsa-stlzsazsa-stl member
    First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I used to let my mom park on my street when she flew out, but attempted to be "considerate" by moving it around every few days.  Also, I was afraid someone would tow it or be more likely to steal it if it was sitting in the same place day after day.

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    TheDuckisTheDuckis member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm team zilla here.

Your neighbors do sound shtty, and maybe this is just the straw that broke the camels back, but this is kindof an overrreaction. You could have made an effort to find out whose car it was before your called the towers. They're just doing a favor for grandma.

We have neighbors that have like 5 cars for 2 people, and they park in front of our mailbox all the time (and our mailman won't stop if delivering the mail means he actually has to get out of the truck, but that's another problem). It's annoying, I occasionally bitch about it, and I've joked about putting a passive-aggressive note on their windshield. But I've never considered having them towed.

IDK, life is a lot more enjoyable when you don't sweat the small stuff.
  • Options
    zsazsa-stlzsazsa-stl member
    First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Duckis-I'm pretty sure it is a rule that your mailman CAN'T deliver mail if the box is blocked.  He isn't just being lazy.  Otherwise people would park in front of their mailboxes all the time and let the mailman deal with it.  Pretty soon his 600 box route would take 3 days.

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Huh. I've never had this problem, and I've lived in plenty of neighborhoods where the mailboxes got blocked. Learn something new every day, I guess.
  • Options
    mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    On the mailman thing...If there's any mailbox blockage...Like with in 4 ft., our mailman WILL.NOT deliver.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Duckis - We didn't know who's car it was. If we'd ran the plates, we would've discovered it belonged to some woman who lived in Orange County who was not home and not answering her home phone (because she's on vacation). At that point, we would've assumed it was stolen and STILL had it towed. It didn't have anything to do with our neighbors until we found out that it was their grandma's car. So no, this wasn't a straw that broke the camel's back. 
  • Options
    HeffalumpHeffalump member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_awesome-neighbors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:2e892c34-fe0f-4e7d-8e65-898f29813c90Post:c73a1816-ae96-472b-9f8c-32063819a221">Re: Awesome neighbors</a>:
    [QUOTE]On the mailman thing...If there's any mailbox blockage...Like with in 4 ft., our mailman WILL.NOT deliver.
    Posted by mrs.conn23[/QUOTE]
    Ours either.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Right, but you didn't ask anyone about the car until after you called to have it towed. It wouldn't have been hard to knock on a door or two or leave a note on the windshield. I would have exhausted other possiblities before going that route.

And your post was about how awful your neighbors are because they left the car in front of your house. To me that just isn't a big enough offense to get worked up over, but on top of everything else I can see where your frustration would pile up. That's where the last straw comment came from.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Then you're a better person than I, Duckis. Can you make a card for me to put under their wiper next time this happens? ;)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I didn't say it had to be a nice note :o)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards