Wedding Woes
Options

::BMom::

I have a question for you: Why did (do?) the Nazis hate Catholics? I was watching a documentary on the Nazis (primarly the movement in America) and I missed the bit (if there was one) that explained this. I got out of the shower and all of a sudden, the Nazis were hating on Catholics.

And I realize, applying logic to hatred doesn't neccessarily jive. I was just wondering if you knew their crazy cakes explaination?

Re: ::BMom::

• Options
    I'm going to talk out my butt here for a minute, but it seems I remember reading something that the Nazis hated all organized religions, b/c their party structure was set up in such a manner that it was to replace religion.

There's also another interesting documentary called Constantine's Sword. I  haven't gotten all the way through it, but it's about the correlation between Christianity and anti-Semitism, which makes the argument that this is part of why the Catholic Church for the longest time did not condemn the Nazis or speak about the Holocaust.
  • Options
    Interesting. Makes sense. Well, as much as this can.
  • Options
    If I remember correctly (I was reading a bunch of books re: WWII and the Nazi's devastation of Europe) at the the time, inspired by the documentary The Rape of Europa) it was in the book Rape of Europa, which I finally had to quit.  It was very interesting, but required a background knowledge of geography, history and art that I just didn't have.  It doesn't do much explaining and the footnotes don't explain anything either, just give more source material.  It also tended to waver off subject.

One of the questions it was exploring was why the Nazis were targeting art.  Some people thought that it was b/c of it's religious connotations, but Hitler took what he want, when he wanted with seemingly no aversion to religious sentiments.  A discussion of religion came in here, where it stated that the Nazis went after specific priests even.  I wrote down the man's name who was in charge of this operation, b/c I wanted to see if there was any literature on it).  

• Options
    Varuna knows way more than I do. 

Plenty of people in America have hated Catholics, too. Until the whole molestation thing broke, I never got it. It's something about how we all just follow what the Pope says or something. I guess since I never really followed what the Pope says, nor know anyone who has, it seemed weird to me, too. 
  • Options
    I guess asking someone to explain hatred is pretty futile. I was just wondering if there was something concrete. That'll teach me to shower. ALWAYS BE WATCHING THE TV! ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards