Wedding Woes
Options

Thoughts?

You chicks aren't talking, and my lunch is not good.

So, I watched a bit of Oprah's interview with Rielle Hunter yesterday, and she is one hot mess.

What do you think about what she said?

Oprah: So you've been described in a lot of different ways. Gold digger. Home wrecker. New-age airhead. Do you think that you have been unfairly judged?

Rielle: Yes, I believe it's...well, it's not accurate. That's not who I am.

Oprah: Well, the intention of this interview for me is to find out who you are. So let's start with gold digger. Were you after John Edwards because of money? Fame? Attention?

Rielle: No, I was not ever after him. I met him, and there was a very strong connection, an attraction. There was no me pursuing, wanting something from [him]. None of that.

Oprah: Okay, home wrecker?

Rielle: Absolutely not. It is not my experience that a third party wrecks a home. I believe the problems exist before a third party comes into the picture.

Oprah:
Why do you think people see you so negatively?

Rielle: Well, because of the affair, and also because a lot of people bought into the myth of the marriage...the Edwards marriage as being a storybook story and it was so perfect and so wonderful, and I destroyed it. So it fits into the two-dimensional story line.

Oprah: Help people to understand, if you can, or help me to understand, because the world sees you as that person. You are viewed as the mistress who came in and stole the politician. So what do you want people to know about that?

Rielle: First of all, in order for that to happen, you must be invited in. People aren't property. You can't steal someone else's husband. You can't steal someone's wife. It's not property.

She just glossed over her role in the affair. He was married with kids, and she knew it from day 1. Yes, you played a role, lady.

Re: Thoughts?

• Options
    ReturnOfKuusReturnOfKuus member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    She's right about everything she said.... except that, like you said, Nola, she seemes to have missed the point that she's a complete assh*le.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would rather she just say that she wanted him, and didn't care that he was married.

Isn't the first excuse always, "They were having problems."

We all know what a dog he is, so that goes without saying.
  • Options
    pegasuskatpegasuskat member
    First Comment Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I agree that she couldn't have got him if he didn't want to be gotten. BUT I think that people that step into someone eles's relationships are always wrong too.  Yes she helped wreck his marriage, at least own your part in it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Her comment "It's not in my experience..." is interesting. Is she saying she's been in this situation before?

Nothing she said is necessarily wrong, but she didn't go into it blindly either. She knows having a relationship with a married person is wrong. That fact that the married couple has problems doesn't make an affair okay. She's trying to make herself out as an innocent.
    MIL is thrilled you're joining the family. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    baconsmombaconsmom member
    5 Love Its First Answer First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I agree with her, but yeah, as a mistress, you always own part of the blame, because we make the decision to enter into the relationship or not. I always think the lion's share belongs to the person looking outside the marriage in the first place, but we homewrecking sluts can't just gloss over our parts. 
  • Options
    GBCKGBCK member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    So...what I want to know is what she thinks of him.

She says she was 'invited' in, that the marriage was crap and she just happened to be there...she doesn't want to own her part, will she at least stand behind making him own HIS part?
    or does she still worship his line of BS?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    GBCK

Oprah: Did you think about his wife?

Rielle: Oh yes, definitely.

Oprah: Did you think about Elizabeth?

Rielle: I think about his wife and his children. And it was very hard. Very, very hard. What's so hard about it is that the power of the love does override all the issues that come up and all the judgments and all my: "This is wrong. What you're doing is wrong."

Oprah: The power of the love did that.

Rielle: Yes.

Oprah: So you are obviously a person who is on a spiritual path. You've mentioned truth here several times. What part of you could make that okay then to be with this married man with children?

Rielle: Because he was available. He wanted to be with me, and their marriage had problems for many, many years.

Oprah: He had already told you that?

Rielle: He had. He has been honest with me since our first meeting completely.
    Oprah: Would you also agree, or not, that you were out of alignment, you were in contradiction, you were out of integrity with yourself?

Rielle: No, interestingly enough. That's what's just so weird about it. I followed my heart, and I believe it was the right thing to do, which is weird. I get how weird that is. I didn't make a commitment to Elizabeth. I wasn't the one lying to her, and I was supporting him in his process, and his intentions never wavered. I knew what he wanted. He just had a really unique [way of] getting there, to live a life of truth.

Oprah: And you had fallen in love with this married man.

Rielle: Right. So I felt like I would just continue supporting him and loving him until he got to where he needed to be.
  • Options
    HeffalumpHeffalump member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_thoughts-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:53b41144-63aa-40a5-8a1d-cf21a350f5dePost:2a739514-4673-4e17-b707-fbaa8a7ee081">Re: Thoughts?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree that she couldn't have got him if he didn't want to be gotten. BUT I think that people that step into someone eles's relationships are always wrong too.  Yes she helped wreck his marriage, at least own your part in it.
    Posted by pegasuskat[/QUOTE]

This.  Obviously everything wasn't perfect in the Edwards' marriage if he had this affair, but that doesn't mean that Skankass is off the hook for her behavior, either.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ok. She lost me with this one.

Oprah: When was the first time John Edwards met his daughter?

Rielle: March 19, [2008].

Oprah: What was that meeting like?

Rielle: Filled with love, very emotional for me.

Oprah: What was it like for you watching him do that interview with Bob Woodruff?

Rielle: It was surreal. It was surreal.

Oprah: And he is asked directly, point blank, "Are you the father of that baby?" Of Quinn. And he lies about it.

Rielle: Yes.

Oprah: He's denied you, denied your child, lied on national television point blank, close up. What makes you think he's not lying to you?

Rielle: I know him like the back of my hand. I know when someone's lying. I can feel it. He's not lying. He's messed up. He was screwed up. He was trying to make his life one of integrity.

Oprah: Well, this is making no sense to a lot of people I'm sure. You're talking about him trying to get to his truth, and all we're seeing is lies and lies and more lies and more lies.

Rielle: Right, trying to cover and keep the way life was. "I'm trying to fix it. I've got to fix it. I've got to make it better, so I'm going to keep lying." ... It wasn't working. Life had changed, who he was had changed, who he is was changing.

• Options
    TheDuckisTheDuckis member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think the ability of humans to justify behavior in themselves that they would abhor in others is amazing. I don't think she realizes how she's making herself sound.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards