Wedding Woes

Since it's slow

My DH recently confessed that he doesn't like the pasta sauce I use - it's the sauce my mom used and I've been using it with DH since we moved in together almost 7 years ago.

For 7 years he's been eating it because he didn't want to hurt my feelings.  I DON'T MAKE THE SAUCE, DH.

FWP - finding a new sauce we all like is hard.

Re: Since it's slow

• Too funny.

DH hates my dad's spaghetti sauce.  It took him awhile to tell me.  He says it's too sweet.  I grew up eating it, so it doesn't bother me.  Our spaghetti sauce is definitely very savory/tangy.

• 7 years!  Kudos to him for sucking it up for so long, but jeez.  Not necessary.

We can't find a sauce we like either.   I hate sweet ones and DH hates chunky ones.   Someday I'm going to start making my own.  
  • I'd be open to making my own but don't want to end up with 87 mason jars full of sauce we don't like.

• I build my own sauce from canned tomatoes/sauce.  I then flavor it to what's agreeable to DH and me. 
  • 7 years?  What made him finally crack? 

I build my own sauce too- cheap sauce, petite diced tomatoes, spices, if I have to use up some carrots/onions/zucchini/whatever it goes in there too.

• That's sweet and sad all at the same time. Here's to finding a sauce you both love in 2013. It's the little things, right?
  • Everytime I told him I was making spaghetti/ziti/lasagna/anything that meant sauce, he'd only have one helping and that isn't like him to eat so little at a meal.  I would ask if he got enough to eat and he'd assure me he did.  Finally I told him to give it to me straight and he confessed it was the sauce.
  • I'm pretty picky about tomato sauce.  I finally found a recipe I like.  The base recipe makes about 4 servings, but it's easy to scale up if you want a larger batch.

1 28oz can whole San Marzano tomatoes
    1 large yellow onion
    5 tbs butter
    salt to taste

Pour canned tomatoes into a saucepan. Break them up a bit by squeezing with your hands or using a spoon against the side of the pan.  Cut onion in half, place halves cut-size-down in the pan with the tomatoes.  Add butter and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring (and crushing tomatoes with spoon) occasionally.  Salt to taste.  Discard onion.

The resulting sauce is a little chunky (could be pureed with a blender), has a rich consistency from the butter, and is slightly sweet. 
  • Honestly, those San Marzano tomatoes are just the best.  They make anything with tomatoes taste better.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards