Wedding Woes

Here's a WWYD, courtesy of my FB feed

This just popped up from a mother of a boy on Son's baseball team:

"So, a friend of mine let her 9 year old play with another kid from her and (boy on team's) grade, only to find out that the mother gives her 9 year old a Whiskey drink. (which the mother admitted to. She said it's a "treat") What would you do with that information, other than refusing to let your child go over there anymore?"

Re: Here's a WWYD, courtesy of my FB feed

• Well, it IS her kid, though admittedly this is a bad idea....
  • :-/  A 'treat'?  Oy.  Ice cream is also a treat and not illegal if you're under 21. 

I'd report it unless there was a compelling reason not to, but IDK what a 'compelling reason' would be.  And if this mom is freely telling other people she does this, then there's a whole host of people who could give an anonymous tip.
  • It doesn't say how many people the mom told, but she did tell the mother of the girl that she dilutes it with water.

Lots of people are telling her they'd "report it for sure", but also "DHS won't do sht".

Another person posted that they wonder if the boy knows where the bottle is kept and goes to get his own treats.

Also this:  "Yeah, that's waaaay past the teething excuse!"
  • *Barbie**Barbie* member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited July 2012
    Nothing. I probably wouldn't send my kid there anymore, but I'm not getting involved unless i KNOW she is endangering the child..

Not knowing the context, how could you make a call on that? Did she let her kid have a small sip from her mixed drink, or did she pour him 3 fingers in a rocks glass?

ETA: also, did the woman who posted see this happen? if not, who's word is she going on? her kid's? even if the mom says that she did it (and it was watered) - did she give the kid enough to harm them/get them tipsy/etc.?
  • Was she giving the kid alcohol in front of the other kid or was it just a conversation that was had with your friend's child?  Was the 'treat' offered to the guest child?  Or did this come up in conversation between the two kids?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_heres-a-wwyd-courtesy-of-my-fb-feed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:61aff2b3-7ffb-491b-9252-73ac414e9e0fPost:892a3d44-5d3c-40e0-9599-9d9dfe823db6">Re: Here's a WWYD, courtesy of my FB feed</a>:
    [QUOTE]Was she giving the kid alcohol in front of the other kid or was it just a conversation that was had with your friend's child?  Was the 'treat' offered to the guest child?  Or did this come up in conversation between the two kids?
    Posted by mrs.conn23[/QUOTE]

None of this is clear from the FB post.  My FB friend heard it from the mother of the girl who played with the whiskey boy at his house.  I do not know how it was discovered.
  • I'd woman up and say this sort of thing is illegal to her face.  Period.  If she doesn't believe it, a thorough Goggling will find plenty of "OMG bartender/mom gave munchkin a mixed draaank" news articles around the country.  And it's as close as a CPS call away.  It may not be me, but it could easily be someone else.

Yeah, and my kid would not be going over to hers.
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_heres-a-wwyd-courtesy-of-my-fb-feed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:61aff2b3-7ffb-491b-9252-73ac414e9e0fPost:d92f8ce9-3ddc-4e54-aa4f-985481a5837b">Re: Here's a WWYD, courtesy of my FB feed</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Here's a WWYD, courtesy of my FB feed : None of this is clear from the FB post.  My FB friend heard it from the mother of the girl who played with the whiskey boy at his house.  I do not know how it was discovered.
    Posted by tawillers[/QUOTE]

Well then I'd sit on it before reporting and see if anything else came out.  My kid would not be spending any more time over at that other kids house.

I just am flabbergasted that she not only does this, but she's so free with the information. 
  • Eh, my parents let us take sips of their booze if we asked. It's just made it so liquor holds no interest for us. All I can think about is how much wine tasted like ass when I was a kid and I don't want it anymore. I wouldn't give a damn unless she gave booze to my kid -- if my kid wants booze, it's gonna be on my watch, not on someone elses.

• 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Are you sure it's actually whiskey though?  My dad makes "kiddie wine" for the grandkids.  It's cherry juice and sprite.  I'm choosing to believe that nobody is actually giving there kid whiskey.  lalalalaalala
  • GBCKGBCK member
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_heres-a-wwyd-courtesy-of-my-fb-feed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:61aff2b3-7ffb-491b-9252-73ac414e9e0fPost:b06bdbcf-4426-4364-a71d-10673c517d1d">Re: Here's a WWYD, courtesy of my FB feed</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'd woman up and say this sort of thing is illegal to her face.  Period.  If she doesn't believe it, a thorough Goggling will find plenty of "OMG bartender/mom gave munchkin a mixed draaank" news articles around the country.  And it's as close as a CPS call away.  It may not be me, but it could easily be someone else. Yeah, and my kid would not be going over to hers.
    Posted by dharmabunny[/QUOTE]

<div>The thing is, it's usually not illegal.</div><div>I can legally give my kid alcohol in my own house, in my state.  It's illegal for OTHER people to give her alcohol, but apparently I can giv her teh booze as long as I don't get her teh drunk.</div><div>
    </div><div>Context would mean a lot here.</div><div>If it looked like something that was happening a lot or being stupid and dangerous, I'd call CPS w/o batting an eye.</div><div>If it looked like just stupidity n sharing info, I'd probably just be extra careful of my kid.</div><div>
    </div>
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    I missed the part where she dilutes it, but it's still not cool.  I do remember getting a shot glass of Barles and James at 12, but 9 is far too young.
  • GBCK beat me to it, but it's probably not illegal. I am also allowed to give my child alcohol in my own home - and I have done so before. Bacon is 8; she's had extremely diluted red wine at a big family birthday celebration. She didn't like it, obviously, but it's happened, and I don't think I endangered her in any way by that. 

There are a lot of ways a "whisky drink" could be served to a child that would be perfectly fine. If you don't want to send your kid over, fine, that's your prerogative - but calling CPS on this woman is WAY out of line. 
  • I remember having Harvey Wallbanger cake as a child.  Without CPS being notified.
  • Whiskey tastes terrible.  I don't think it is terrible to give your kid a sip of something, but also can't imagine that any child would enjoy whiskey.  I've got my money on virgin cocktail like 6 mentioned.

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • DG1DG1 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    "There are a lot of ways a "whisky drink" could be served to a child that would be perfectly fine. If you don't want to send your kid over, fine, that's your prerogative - but calling CPS on this woman is WAY out of line. " Amen. Even if it was real whiskey, it might have been a super small amount and/or diluted enough to be NBD. My parents did whiskey/honey/lemon juice for sore throats. (we hated it.) I've also let the boys have single sips of wine or other drinks, just so they could say, "yuck!" and I wouldn't have to say "no" every 90 seconds.

• Actually check your local laws... if she is giving him booze and not a virgin "whisky drink" then it may actually be illegal for children under a certain age. I have no idea whether 9 would be under the age limit though... all I know is you can't give it to infants...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards