Washington-Seattle
Options

Marriage License Question

This may be a dumb question, but do you apply for a marriage license in the county you live in or the county you're getting married in? We live in Snohomish County, but are getting married in King County.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Marriage License Question

• Options
    edited December 2011

As far as I know it doesn't matter at all. We're getting married in Watcom but getting it in Skagit just because it's easier for us. The marriage license is a STATE issued not county, so just go to whatever is easiest.

• Options
    mgoss228mgoss228 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_washington-seattle_marriage-license-question-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:104Discussion:d6b6f962-951f-4950-a349-46763c4d3f5bPost:543a32af-1ef8-4cd0-8aaf-83f5b2d6db67">Marriage License Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]This may be a dumb question, but do you apply for a marriage license in the county you live in or the county you're getting married in? We live in Snohomish County, but are getting married in King County.
    Posted by ajroark[/QUOTE]

You don't have to.  We got married in Snohomish, but applied for the licence in King.  I would do whatever is easiest for you.
    OMH est. May 7, 2011
    Photo courtesy of jennygg.com
    My never updated Planning/Married Bio: http://mgoss228.weebly.com/
    Seattle Knotties: Please page me if you send me a PM!
  • Options
    Frogger5Frogger5 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Yup, doesn't matter which county as long as it's in WA. We went in downtown Seattle, and there was no wait or anything - very efficient.

• Options
    ckonidakckonidak member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know it's a bit late, but I'm hoping this may help someone. We live in King county and are getting married in Skagit County. I don't know what King county requires for the marriage license, but FI and I just went up to Skagit County this past Friday for ours. The Skagit County Auditor actually requires two copies of their marriage licence be signed and delivered, along with a paper the groom/bride need to sign (and swear to in front of a notary or other judicial body) saying neither party has any STD's the other doesn't know about. They have a much different process than the other counties in the area so I'd check with them! She told me that 85% of couples getting married in Skagit County mess up the paperwork and have to do it twice... so for your own sanity, check with the auditor of the county you're getting married in. Better to double check than to miss some small detail that makes all the difference.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Frogger5Frogger5 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Whoa, we didn't have to say anything about STDs in King County! That is an interesting difference - almost like local culture ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards