Wedding Woes

The facts are bad enough...

But reading two different reportings of the same event is fascinating.

Apparently, teachers in Norfolk, VA showed students a short film about our Constitutional rights as regards dealing with the police. They've since been suspended. 

I got the story from the Cato Institute's Twitter feed. Cato is a libertarian think tank, and this is their copy: (link:http://www.cato-at-liberty.org/2010/05/27/teachers-suspended-for-class-about-constitution/)

This can’t be happening.  Teachers suspended from their posts for showing students a film about the Constitution!  I can understand the initial parental inquiry–if a student did say “I was taught how to hide drugs.”  There are such films on the market and those would certainly not be appropriate for school.  But instead of gathering the facts, the school authorities seem to have made a terrible and unjust decision to suspend these teachers.  The Busted film is about constitutional law and police encounters–showing people that they can lawfully stand up to the police and decline to approve a search of their home and belongings, and decline to answer police questions.  Hopefully, the ACLU or FIRE will come to the defense of these teachers and get them reinstated fast.

Flex Your Rights, which produced the Busted film, recently released an even better film called10 Rules for Dealing with Police.  Cato hosted the premiere screening here in DC.

-----------------------------------

The link they include in the first line goes to the The Virginian-Pilot online. The beginning of their copy? 

The materials - a one-page handout and a video distributed and aired in a 12th-grade government class - are sponsored by two organizations, one a nonprofit that supports legalization of marijuana and one that calls itself a "decentralized anarchist collective". 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards