Wedding Woes

family ties: the harder they fall

it's parents' night at harding high.  mallory is all nervous for her parents to meet her algebra teacher (math is hard!  let's make cookies for the boys!) but alex is sooo excited for his parents to hear about how awesome his teachers think he is.  he is especially eager for them to kiss the butt of mr. tedesco, his english teacher because his cousin sits on the admissions board at dartmouth.

sidenote about dartmouth -- sure, it's an ivy.  but the thing about ivies is that they are all in new england.  do you know what that means in the winter?  it means it gets cold enough to snap off your twig and berries, alex p.  also, dartmouth doesn't get great reviews on yelp.

anyhoo, elyse goes to mr. tedesco's class.  it turns out that HE IS MEAN.  he insults a couple of the other mothers (mothers of LOSERS) there, and he tries to shove his way out the door.  where is he going, i want to know.  anyway, he gladdens pmeg's heart by pushing an eldery woman, and elyse punches him in the face.

when they get home, alex is horrified and now convinced he will never get into dartmouth.  (he won't get in because he's from the midwest and has no extracurriculars but that's neither here nor there.)  he insists that elyse call mr. tedesco and apologize.  she gets on the phone and tries to apologize, but mr. tedesco says something horrible and she ends up saying she knows where he lives and she's coming for him.

inasmuch as elyse has not been arrested for either assault or issuing the death threat, it's now up to steven to smooth things over.  he goes to the high school and meets up with mr. tedesco.  mr. tedesco greasily accepts his apology, and then starts to make snide sexual comments about elyse, and asking steven if she ever uses whips on him.  steven, of course, ends up punching him in the face.

so, instead of seeing the keaton children being taken by social services because both of their parents are in jail, steven and elyse decide the only thing they can do is invite mr. tedesco to dinner so they can reach some kind of detente.  mr. tedesco agrees because he wants a free meal (but this is foolishness because there was no promise of cake.  hold out for cake, mr. tedesco!).

he shows up for dinner and is told it's chicken.  mr. tedesco mentions he had chicken for lunch and then stares the keatons down. (this will be the subject of a follow-up poll).

steven, elyse and he exchange terse words.  steven and elyse adjourn to the kitchen to find out what else is in the freezer (proper penguin frozen meals, their hippie idealism), leaving alex alone with mr. tedesco.  mr. tedesco shows alex his letter of recommendation, noting that alex is an exceptional student.  then he goes on to say he would have been more profuse, had he known what boors had raised alex.  mr. tedesco goes on to insult alex's parents more.

elyse and steven come back, having thawed some steaks.  alex tears up mr. tedesco's letter of recommendation and throws him out of the house.  family hug!

Re: family ties: the harder they fall

• edited December 2011
    Yes, I loved that one. I love Elyse's face when she hits him.

I still will pay you money to do one of these recaps for Good Times.

COLD HARD CASH.
  • hmonkeyhmonkey member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    nola, i will have to see when "good times" is airing.  also, i might need some help with character's names because we did not watch this show when i was a kid.

i do remember the episode where jj tries to find out if he has an std by looking it up in the dictionary and i remember being terribly confused as to what "vd" was.
  • edited December 2011
    And the one with the iron burn on poor miss jackson's back.
  • MRSBJSMRSBJS member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_family-ties-harder-fall?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:852d98be-8ba6-48b4-8b20-116fd002e620Post:7869bd58-a20c-4696-bb9a-55232a06b419">Re: family ties: the harder they fall</a>:
    [QUOTE]nola, i will have to see when "good times" is airing.  also, <strong>i might need some help with character's names</strong> because we did not watch this show when i was a kid. i do remember the episode where jj tries to find out if he has an std by looking it up in the dictionary and i remember being terribly confused as to what "vd" was.
    Posted by hmonkey[/QUOTE]

James
    Florida
    JJ
    Thelma
    Michael
    Penny (neightbor's kid - remember she gets abused)

That's all I have for pop culture knowledge today :)
  • hmonkeyhmonkey member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011

penny is willona's kid, not some "neighbor!"

• MRSBJSMRSBJS member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Willona!

I was trying to think of her name, and I couldn't.
  • edited December 2011
    Yes, you're still a parent when you adopt.

Pop Off. :)

It airs on TV One at 5pm eastern time. You probably aren't home yet.:(
  • zsazsa-stlzsazsa-stl member
    First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Ded @ proper penguin

JJ, you're so skinny you could pick a lock with your body!

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards