Wedding Woes
Options

WDYT?

Background: One of my best friend's cousins is knocked up for the second time. She had a baby boy about 5 years ago and is now having a girl. She really wants a shower because the first time she was pregnant she was really young and didn't get to enjoy her pregnancy because she was embarassed.

The issue: Best friend's sister and cousin are all in a tizz because they want her to have a shower. They have both been harassing their mom's about them throwing her a shower. Both of the mom's say no. One doesn't believe in baby showers at all, and the other doesn't agree with showers for a second baby.

I said to best friend that if those 2 have such a hard on to throw her a shower, then they should go ahead and do then. Of course, that's not an option.

So now mother to be is throwing herself a shower.

WDYT?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: WDYT?

• Options
    TheDuckisTheDuckis member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with you. Why isn't sister and cousin throwing the shower an option?

If she didn't have a shower for the first baby I'm not going to begrudge her a small, tasteful celebration for this one. But if she's inviting a gazillion people or registering for extravagant things she'll get a side-eye.
  • Options
    **O-Face****O-Face** member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it's tacky, but not the first time I've seen it done.  I guess a registry that is shared would be a better way to go.  If people wanted to buy her stuff, but it's still tacky.
  • Options
    loveshine1loveshine1 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    They don't want to spend the money on her shower. They want their mom's to do it.

She had a shower for the first kid, and then threw all the crap away as soon as she was done with it. Apparently, half her registry has already been purchased, so she'll still be getting plenty without the shower.
  • Options
    MrsMyrtleMrsMyrtle member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    As long as she doesn't call it a "Sprinkle," I don't see a problem with it. I hatehatehate when beebees call it a "Sprinkle."
  • Options
    LnR70707LnR70707 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    why the hell do the sister and cousin need parental permission?  are they 12?

edit: I this is tacky.  Just because she messed up the first time doesn't mean she gets a do-over this time.
    br>imageimage
    IF/Baby Blog
    2 years, 2 surgeries, 2 clomid fails, 2 IUIs, 1 loss, IVF #1 - 10/25/10 = BFP!
    TTC #2 - 6/12 surgery #3, FET #1 & 1.2 = BFN, 12/2012 FET #2 = BFP!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

I can't wait for the "im getting a divorce" post in 5 years or so because your husbands were fed up with your disgusting chair asses from playing on the knot all day and getting fired 4-5 times for not doing any work. you guys are all winners!! ~ Laur929
  • Options
    jojobrnjojobrn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I don't understand why the sister and cousin aren't throwing one either.

This is tough, because I know that second showers are generally tacky, but if she truly doesn't have anything left over from her first child, a tasteful shower wouldn't seem abnormal to me. I know my sister will be starting over when she and her husband have their first kiddo together, besides my niece being 6 now, she didn't move any baby related items they may have had left with them, no room on the moving truck. And really, the only things left over at this point are clothes.
  • Options
    loveshine1loveshine1 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh these are grown ups. One cousin is a year younger than me, so she's 27 and the other is probably 25 or so.

I don't have a problem with someone throwing a smallish shower or luncheon for the mom to be. I just find it outrageous that these 2 hookers can't pull it together and do something for her.

I think Wz hit it on the head - they want to stand up for her, but don't want the responsibility of it.
  • Options
    DG1DG1 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I can forgive a small tasteful shower when there's a 5 year difference and baby is a different gender.

Hell, I'll tell ya, mine were 13 months apart and the same gender, and we didn't get to reuse nearly as much stuff as I thought.  So the "she already has that" isn't a valid counterargument.

But yes, these two clowns need to do it themselves.  And mom is tacky and dumb for throwing her own shower, yes. 

• Options
    baconsmombaconsmom member
    5 Love Its First Answer First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    What a pack of rude, entitled people. How did those mothers manage to raise those kids?

May Bacon never embarrass me with shenanigans like this.
  • Options
    GBCKGBCK member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I could probably forgive 90% of this crap...while still thinking it's crap.

But throwing your own?
    Yeah---NO.
    THat just lables you badly right from the get go..."I haz kidz, give me stuff because I had kidz"
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards