Wedding Woes

My vacation (aka, my longest post ever)

Because I don't feel like actually working too much just yet:

* Thursday - left home and drove to West Virginia.  H tried to use my iphone to find a cool place for dinner.  He read an article about this diner that had been open 24 hours/day since 1947 and he thought it sounded awesome so we drove and drove and drove through Charleston until we found this place - boarded up and abandoned.  We checked the dates of the awesome reviews after that.

* Friday - Left WV and headed up back roads into PA to arrive at Fallingwater.  Awesome.  Beautiful.  Perfect day to be there.  We drooled over all of the pretties and then got back in the car and drove east.  We had a quick dinner somewhere in NJ and then decided to not go out of our way an bypass NYC just because it hurts to drive through and not stop.  I waved in the general direction of WZ, TT & Busy.  We stopped for the night in Stamford CT.  There was a prom letting out at our hotel as we arrived.  The kids all looked sad.  I guess prom sucked.

* Saturday - I forced H to go to Stew Leonards before we got on the road (google it if you haven't been).  I have great memories and wanted to see if it was still as much fun.  Stew did not disappoint and we had coffee and frozen yogurt for breakfast.  I love that the yogurt stand is open at 9am.  Then we headed north to my sister's house in MA.  We spent the rest of the day walking around her town and playing with my adorable nieces.

* Sunday - My sister lives near the Walter Gropious house in MA so we went and toured that.  Super cool.  My nieces even enjoyed it.  We also went to a sculpture park and spent a looong time watching a guy blow giant bubbles.  Then back to sis's house for pork tacos and strong margaritas.  Niece asked "Mom, are you going to have a headache tomorrow?"  She wasn't referring to the drinks at all but it was very funny.

* Monday - Left MA and took a scenic route through VT - so pretty and so full of cheese.  I wanted to spend a week.  We made it to my brother's in NY mid-afternoon and walked around his town, drove a bit to the tourist traps in his neck of the woods and then back to his house for...pork tacos!  My family all thinks alike.

* Tuesday - We all climbed in the car and headed north to Canada.  We made it to Montreal in time for lunch.   We didn't do our research before we went and ended up just sort of aimlessly wandering about town, but it was fun.  Lunch was overprices and not very good.  For dinner we headed toward the Italian neighborhood and found a great place.  So good.  Best dinner of the trip even if we did have trouble ordering Italian food in French. 

* Wednesday - Breakfast with bro & SIL and then we headed west.  We spent a bit too much time driving around Saratoga just because it is a pretty town.  And then H forced me to drink water out of one of the springs that was the most disgusting thing ever.  I had to run to the car for something with which to rinse the residue.  Then we got back in the car and trucked it across NY, making it to Niagara Falls around 5pm.  Timing was okay because it wasn't too crowded.  But H is scared of heights and I thought the boats looked scary so we didn't do anything but walk around the top.  We did go to the Canadian side and it was a MUCH better view from there.  But they charge $18 for parking on that side!  Crazy.  I refused to pay and we found an unmanned lot waaay on down the road and walked. It was worth it.  Then we shuffled on down to Buffalo and found our hotel and some chicken wings in the pouring rain.  I didn't mind the rain.  I was frantically checking FB the whole time for news of tornados at home.  Thankfully all was fine.  But as soon as we were checked into our hotel and delivered our bags to our room the power went out.  Thankfully our room was full of mirrors (this place was super tacky, but I loved it) and the light from our cell phones was all we needed to get ready for bed. 

Okay, I'm going to break this up and post a part 2

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards