Wedding Woes

re: mentally 2yo husband

physical handicap would suck, but would not cause an issue in our relationship. a sudden severe mental handicap would.

at this phase in life i have myself and a toddler to think of. trying to care for a grown man who is mentally a child is not a burden that I would want. I want a man who can be a good husband and partner, and a good father to my daughter. a man who is menally 2 can be none of those things. he would not be the man that i married - he might be wolverine's *biological* dad, but he could never be "daddy". I think trying to care for him would put undue strain on myself and only cause confusion for Wolverine. i think it would also be additional baggage that would prevent us from moving forward with life, and possibly even finding a new husband/dad. (I know I sure wouldn't want to take on that situation.) I would likely cut ties for selfish reasons in that i think it would be too painful for me to see him in that sort of state.

maybe it's coldhearted, but it's realistic.

DK and I have already taked about this and I know he feels the same way.

If we were 85 and one of us developed Alzheimers, it would be a different story, but in this phase of life, it wouldn't be realistic for me to nurse him for the rest of his/my life.

Re: re: mentally 2yo husband

• I agree, but there's always the age and situation factor.  
    imageimage
  • I couldn't date a man that just walked away from his wife.  Now if she was cared for and he made sure any kids knew about her etc that would be different.  If he just stuck her somewhere and walked away it would be a no.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_re-mentally-2yo-husband?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:c0aa7096-a0a7-433b-8a0e-a2a6215fcc60Post:571f4278-4d1f-4bf8-936c-009e0b03c043">Re: re: mentally 2yo husband</a>:
    [QUOTE]I couldn't date a man that just walked away from his wife.  Now if she was cared for and he made sure any kids knew about her etc that would be different.  If he just stuck her somewhere and walked away it would be a no.
    Posted by 6fsn[/QUOTE]

<div>I think this is key.</div><div>I wouldn't walk away w/ no contact...I also wouldn't hesitate to move on and date eventually.</div>
  • VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited February 2012
    I think the key is that we all put the new and created family first with our chosen partners.  Especially when/if there are children involved.

Once that happens, I think it's BS to throw the spouse back to their original family b/c they're not good enough to serve as your spouse anymore.  I would always make sure DH was taken care of and he would be part of my life.  I would divorce him so that I could date and have another relationship, b/c quite honestly I like having a partner and would want one again, but he would be taken care of and part of my life to the extent that he could be.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards