Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

Labor Day Weekend Wedding, Philadelphia

I am thinking about having a Labor Day Weekend Wedding in Philly.  Just curious if anyone has been to a wedding over that weekend?  Do you think it is a good idea, or will people be too busy with other plans? 

If you went to a wedding in Philly that weekend, how did it turn out?

Re: Labor Day Weekend Wedding, Philadelphia

• Options
    Stacylynn702Stacylynn702 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've been to a wedding in the suburbs over Memorial Day weekend and it was fine for me as I don't make plans other than bbqs that weekend.  You just want to give your guests proper notice.  If you send out STD's you should be okay.  Also, if you have a lot of OOT guests, you want to give them time to make travel arragements so they can get the best price on airfare/accomodations. Setting up room blocks is a good idea.  Where do you plan to have it?  You may also want to try the September (whatever year) board as you will probably meet other brides having their wedding that weekend as well.  HTH!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I went to a weddding in MA in 2008 over Labor day weekend.  It was very nice.  The wedding was Sunday and we left right after the wedding to drive part of the way back to Philadelphia as we flew back to London from PHL Monday night.  

I think it's going to depend on your freinds and family for sure.  If you have tons of shore goers it might not go over well.  But if most of your people just hang around it could work in your favor.  

Send out a STD early if you have OOT guests.  
  • Options
    kcross33kcross33 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was at a wedding years ago over Labor Day weekend and it was nice to already have plans instead of making the decision to go to the shore or who's bbq to attend.

I was considering July 4th weekend for my wedding (2011) and changed my mind because  I heard over and over to expect to have friends and family not attend due to their summer traditions / vacations. Meaning that there are some people that go away every summer at the same time. So, I'll just pass that advice along to you...I heard it so many times I just changed my date. But I felt comfortable changing my date because July 4th doesn't mean anything special to my fiance and I so if that weekend has special meaning, go with what will make you happy !

Good luck :-)
  • Options
    CA2PABride2BeCA2PABride2Be member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our wedding is July 4th weekend - I was worried about doing something on a holiday weekend where people could make plans (like pp said) but we're having ours on a Friday night so people can still enjoy the rest of their holiday weekend.  Those are definitely things to keep in mind during any holiday weddings, but if you have lots of OOT guests those weekends are usually the best for them to come anyways.  Plus, the people that you really want there will be there no matter what.
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    183 image 128 image 55 image 0 image RSVP Date: June 4, 2010
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I went to a wedding last labor day weekend in California.  It was nice not to have to take the extra day off of work.  PP's are right though.  It depends on if people have traditions for the holiday weekend, then they might be a little annoyed.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am a shore person and hate going to parties between Memorial Day and Labor Day. Just because I hate losing my shore time don't prevent me from going to parties. I just suck it up and lose the weekend. The people that mean the most to you wont care and will be there to celebrate with you.
  • Options
    Musicheals71Musicheals71 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Hi, ee, I'm also from South Jersey and also having my wedding over Labor Day weekend (9/5).  So far, no one I invited seems to have a problem with it except for the West Coast relatives (their kids start school last week of August).  It also helps to send out STDs around the 8-month mark, which is what I did.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards