Wedding Woes

How many is TOO many?? (Bridesmaids)

Okay so I have like a "zillion" friends. Out of those "zillion" friends I have a tight knit group of girls that I've been friends with since diapers. (4) Since I've been at college I've made a few really close girlfriends. (2) Add my diaper buddies and my college gals and my two best cousins, I'm almost bordering on two digit numbers. (8) I just dont know if it'll look stupid at the alter with all this estrogen to my left and as of right now, one guy to my FI's right.

Am I just being worried too soon and to give it more time? Not getting married for 2 or 3 more years.
Is 8 bridesmaids a lot? It's not going to be a HUGE wedding but I still want the girls I consider sisters to me beside me at the alter..

Help!!

Re: How many is TOO many?? (Bridesmaids)

• GBCKGBCK member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    time.
    Don't even THINK about any of this yet.
    Really.
    friendships change.  People change.  When you're less than 2 years from a date, THEN think about who you sould ask.
  • Thanks! I realized after I posted how silly I was being in worrying about this so soon. I still have years left to plan and ask and all those shinanigans :)

Even with that said though, how many is too many? I'd like to just keep it in mind as I go down the road.
  • DG1DG1 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_how-many-is-too-many-bridesmaids?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:dd97375a-fa95-4a4c-8c2f-9f55e5a6f1a8Post:7dcd25dd-1dcc-423f-8f19-6960890114d7">How many is TOO many?? (Bridesmaids)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Okay so I have like a "zillion" friends. Out of those "zillion" friends I have a tight knit group of girls that I've been friends with since diapers. (4) Since I've been at college I've made a few really close girlfriends. (2) Add my diaper buddies and my college gals and my two best cousins, I'm almost bordering on two digit numbers. (8) I just dont know if it'll look stupid at the alter with all this estrogen to my left and as of right now, one guy to my FI's right. <strong>Am I just being worried too soon and to give it more time? Not getting married for 2 or 3 more years. </strong>Is 8 bridesmaids a lot? It's not going to be a HUGE wedding but I still want the girls I consider sisters to me beside me at the alter.. Help!!
    Posted by ctpd615[/QUOTE]

<div>Yes times a billionty. Wait until 6 or 8 months before the wedding (at MOST!) before you worry about this. </div><div>
    </div><div>When you do, consider ways to minimize the effect of so many bridesmaids. Maybe skip the processional and have them just stand at the altar (alt<strong><em>a</em></strong>r!) and wait for you just like the groomsmen traditionally do. That way people won't be watching 10 minutes of bridesmaid walking. Ditto for dances, speeches, etc.</div>

• DG1DG1 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_how-many-is-too-many-bridesmaids?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:dd97375a-fa95-4a4c-8c2f-9f55e5a6f1a8Post:8aa28b2e-3e76-4674-ac08-7e28dd1fb323">Re: How many is TOO many?? (Bridesmaids)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks! I realized after I posted how silly I was being in worrying about this so soon. I still have years left to plan and ask and all those shinanigans :) Even with that said though, how many is too many? I'd like to just keep it in mind as I go down the road.
    Posted by ctpd615[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>FWIW, I do think 8 is too many. Too many gifts to buy, too many people to organize for pictures, asking too many people to spend money on a dress and whatever other wedding stuff (bachelorette party, showers, travel, whatever) they opt in for.  If you are the type to stress out about having even sides (I'm not a fan, but whatever), then you need to force your FI to come up with 8 people when he might only have one brother and one best friend or something. </div><div>
    </div><div>I had 3 (ish - sortof untraditional setup), and felt like it was pretty perfect. I'd probably max out at 4 or 5.

</div>

• When my BIL got married, they had almost as many people standing up as they did guests.  It worked for them, so whatever, but it did feel a bit unbalanced, FWIW.
  • Oh thanks so much! This really helped!
    It may be years down the road but I try to pre-plan everything out in my mind and change it as it comes along and this definitely calms down the jitters about the number :)

Oh and thanks DG1 for the fix. I knew "alter" didn't look right! haha
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards