Wedding Reception Forum

Stuck between two reception locations. Longer post.

Our guest list toal is between 60-75 people with a budget of $5500. 
We originally planned for and paid deposit on a quaint dance Pavilion in a local, old school amusement park. We love the quaintness of the location, and the pavilion itself is gorgeous. Total cost for 12 hours is $1300 minus the $200 deposit we put down. After finding what we thought was a great place for the ceremony for $400, I started to crunch numbers and have gotten more and more upset with vendor pricing at the pavilion. We are allowed to bring in our own uncatered food, but if we do that we must provide all linens, china, silverware, glasses, etc. In addition, we must also purchase all beverages through them, and must pay for water if we do not cater through them. 
I told the booking gal what I envisioned food-wise (an assortment of rolls, deli meats, cheeses, fruits, antipasto platters, cold pasta dishes, etc) and she gave me a $12 per person cost for two types of rolls, three meats, two cheeses, condiments and one type of green salad. She did say we could supplement the catered menu with some items of our own (only from home or store deli), but that they do not provide dessert plates or forks.  The price for what's provided food-wise seems astronomical to me. I could put together the same menu myself for about $5 per person, but would be stuck renting the linens, dishes, etc for approx $200-300. The other problem I've run into is that all drinks must be purchased through them. They only sell alcohol (no hard liquor) by the case, and even with only punch, water, and sparkling cider, the drink tab is over $300. I feel cheap not offering alcohol, so that would push my beverage tab to around $1000.

The problem is I've now found another location approx 30 minutes away that seems to have everything I want. Unlike our previous idea, this location is a chapel with a built in reception room plus use of the grounds. After the ceremony, the pews can be moved from the chapel and the whole building can be used for the reception. This location is $1180 for 6 hours, or $1580 for ten hours. Costwise, it's about the same because it combines both locations, and this particular place allows you to bring in all your own food and alcohol. I would still need to provide utensils, plates, table covers, etc but feel that I could complete my wedding by providing the exact food I want and buying beer, wine, and two signature drinks for my guests. We would lose $200 that we paid for a deposit, but I feel like it's a good compromise. 
If you've made it this far, I have one more question. I'm debating the 6 vs 10 hour rental, and in doing so, I've decided I would hire a DOC for the 6 hour to ensure all is set up, but would only hire a  bar attendant and waiter if I rented for 10 hours. The cost would be equivalent for both times, as the DOC is $400. 

If you were in my situation, what would you do? I am unhappy and pretty unwilling to pay $12 pp + $300 for a very limited, non-alcoholic drink selection. On the other hand, is it too much to do for only a few people if we went with the more accommodating location? Most food would be prepped the day before (cold buffet style), and with a DOC or a couple hours to set up myself, I think it could be pulled off wonderfully.

EDIT: I would still hire a bar attendant and waiter regardless of the 6 or 10 hour rental.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards