Wedding Reception Forum
Options

XP: DIY Food

My wedding is in July. It is very much a budget wedding, and my Mother and the FIL's are preparing our DIY meal. The ceremony starts at 4pm with the reception following pictures. The guest list is at 190 give or take (that is just those invited, no RSVPs yet). Our menu is as follows:

10 – 10lb Turkeys to be Deep Fried
10 – Hams to be Baked with Pineapple Glaze(Guests get a serving of either Turkey or Ham depending on how many people show up… if less show possible 1 serving of each)
Green Beans
Roasted Redskin Potatoes
Salad with Dressing
Dinner Rolls with Honey Butter

Everything will be pre-cooked, and warming in Roasting Pans before/during the wedding, so that it is at the proper temp for dinner. The wedding is aproximately 20 minutes from the Reception Venue. My mom plans to be in the pictures that she needs to be in, then take her and her serving gals to the reception venue. Mom and whomever she corrals to be her assistants will serve the food.

There is no coctail hour. Some pics will be taken prior to the ceremony to save time.

I know that the normal response is that the Mother shouldn't help with this, because she should be enjoying herself. She is enlisting the help of her sisters (which also might be frowned upon, but in my eyes them assisting would be a gift to us). We have a very CLOSE family, and my simple DIY wedding is rather big for us, so no one will be offended.

My main concern is the amounts of meats. Do you know of any good serving calculator websites? Does everything sound appetizing? Tips?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: XP: DIY Food

• Options
    I answered you on Food and Cakes
  • Options
    thanks lol
  • Options
    All our decor, and attire, and everything is for an evening wedding. Our Invitations have been printed, and envelopes have been stuffed. I thought about a cake and punch reception, but it is just not an option for us.

Although it's set up like a buffet, there will be ladies serving the food, to ensure that it goes smoothly and quickly.
  • Options
    DH is a chef and says assuming the hams are about 10lbs each (you didn't say), that is enough for 190 people.  

I do however think you need to add something else.   I know you are not having a cocktail hour, but I think some veggie trays, cheese and crackers and say some pita with some hummus would be a good while people are beginning to arrive yet dinner is not ready to start.  It doesn't have to cost much. You can either get them pre-made from your local store, or make them up yourself the day before.  But people like something small to nibble on before dinner starts.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Yea I have thought about cocktail snacks as well. I am not sure what we can come up with, but I plan to try :)
  • Options
    I'm not sure why you have decided on the amount of ham/turkey this far in advance.  It seems silly to prepare 10 of each if only 100 guests RSVP yes.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards