Wedding Reception Forum

What to ask when interviewing a reception hall?

Hi all!

My fiance and I are planning a destination wedding in New Orleans, and I will be contacting a few reception halls soon. Our wedding is a destination one as neither of us are in New Orleans and likely won't be able to visit the spot we pick prior to selecting it. I'm doing most all the planning by myself since my family and friends live on the other side of the country, so any advice from some pros as to what questions I should ask when speaking to prospective reception halls would be great! :)

Re: What to ask when interviewing a reception hall?

• When I was interviewing places, I made sure to ask about what exactly is included with the fee - including parking, tables and chairs, linens, staff, use of a kitchen, everythinggg.  I also asked about their policies with caterers, alcohol, decor, all that.  Some places require you use specific caterers, or allow self catering, you just want to make sure you know.  Same with alcohol, some require a licensed bartender while one i found said they would supply someone to serve it. I also made sure to ask about fees.  Obviously the rental fee, also ask about damage deposits or cleaning fees. my place has a refundable damage deposit and a cleaning fee, with an additional extraordinarily dirty fee if you leave the place a mess.. look into what the deposit is, if it is refundable, when full balance is due, all of that stuff too.  You basically just want to know exactly what your getting into.. and make sure you go through the contract in detail and make sure everything is in writing in the contract.  if they say that they will supply something, make sure its in the contract! that way your covered.  That was just from my experience, maybe others have more ideas?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    All of what Veassie said and ask about tipping (my venue had a strict no tipping policy as it was added into the costs) and if there's a noise ordinance you have to comply with.  I've seen some brides post about noise ordinances and having to end the reception by 10pm. 
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I've been using this site when speaking with vendors because I feel it's a good starting point (even if you don't ask all of the questions).

http://www.herecomestheguide.com/wedding-party-ideas/detail/questions-to-ask-your-location/
    Photobucket
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I think all the ideas above are great. I'd also suggest you get to know the New Orleans board (see local wedding board link to left). They may be able to assist you with locating the perfect venue based on their own experiences. Many local boards have "push pin" permanent posts at the top of the board with ratings, costs, recommendations for vendors they have already used.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards