Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Cookie Table at Reception?

There was an article in the New York Times awhile back talking about a popular tradition in Pittsburgh of having a cookie table at the reception with homemade traditional family cookies.  The mothers, grandmothers, and sometimes aunts would pitch in to make hundreds of cookies for the reception (in addition to the wedding cake).

I dismissed the idea at first because I'm not from Pittsburgh and have never seen it done.  However, FMIL really likes the idea and I'm starting to warm up to it.  I'm known as the baker in my family and traditionally make my late grandmother's cookie recipes to give to my extended family each Christmas.  Our wedding is a week before Christmas, so I think it might be a nice touch to make my grandmother's cookie recipes for a cookie table.  FI's grandmother is also a big baker and usually makes a ton of Christmas cookies as well.

Has anyone else done this or seen this done?  How many cookies per guest would you make?  Would you put them out with the cake or afterwards?

Re: Cookie Table at Reception?

• Options
    I haven't seen it done, but it's a nice idea. However, make sure your venue/caterer will let you bring in outside food even if it's just cookies. Some places have very strict policy because of cross-contamination/liability issues.

You could also wrap the cookies in cellophane and give them out as favors. If you put them out at the reception, I like the idea of doing it after the cake. But that's a personal opinion because I want to try everything and don't like too many dessert options at once! I like them spaced out.
  • Options
    Since I love cookies, I'd love a cookie buffet.  But Lauren makes a good point about being sure that your venue will allow you to bring in outside food.

If they do, wow....I'd be in snack heaven.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    I am from Pittsburgh and this is definitely a Western Pennsylvania tradition!  People LOVE it. When my brother got married in Virginia, a lot of the people and my SILs family had never seen or heard of it. There were actually leftover cookies, which would never happen in Pittsburgh! 

If your hall will allow it (say it's a family tradition) here is a suggestion that FI & I are doing. Keep the cookie table covered until AFTER dinner is served (let your caterer be in charge of this). Otherwise, everyone will scarf all the cookies (you'll never see one) AND the guests will also fill up on them and not eat as much.  I'm not paying $6,000 for food to have everyone be too full to eat it from cookies.  I know it will cause a stir (especially with a few of MY family members) to keep it covered til after dinner, but tough. 
    Crosswalk
  • Options
    Also if you decide to use it, here is a nice description/history you can print out, frame and put on the cookie table.

Cookie Table

You can have a designer wedding gown and tuxedo or hand-me-downs. You can have an “A-list” guest list or just the closest of kin. You can receive your guests at the fanciest restaurant or at a potluck at the firehall. But you aren’t truly a Pittsburgher unless you have The Cookie Table.

When we first moved here and a bride-to-be mentioned The Cookie Table, I was puzzled. “What do you need cookies for?” I asked. “At a wedding, you eat cake.” Little did I know.

The Cookie Table is as much a part of Pittsburgh as the Pirates and the Steelers and the Penguins. We may bleed black and gold, but at any event worth writing home about, we have cookies.

And most of these cookies are homemade by the mother of the bride, sisters, aunts, cousins and grandmothers. Sometimes both sides of the extended family get involved. Friends are also called into the fray. Happy to do it, in fact. The Cookie Table is, indeed, the gift of love.

Nobody knows the exact origin of the tradition, which has been exported to other parts of Pennsylvania, other states, too. It may be Italian or Slovak or Polish or Croatian or Greek. The Scandinavians may get involved, and the Indians, too. The Germans do cookies, and so do the Irish. If we’ve left anybody out (like the English), add them to the cookie equation. There may be no greater tribute to cross-cultural friends and marriages than The Cookie Table. It’s what makes America great; a medley of cultures taking the best from each. The best being favorite family cookie recipes.

Remember, in Pittsburgh, people don’t wonder, “How was the wedding?” They ask, “Were the cookies good?”

Crosswalk
  • Options
    I hear the cookie table actually originated in Youngstown, OH...this is what I heard when I attended a fabulous wedding there a few months ago.

The way that I believe this worked is that the local friends and family brought their cookies to the MOB's home and those cookies were brought to the reception venue.

Unfortunately, I ate so much all day I didn't have any room for them!  Thank goodness I got to sneak some in two days early!

It was such a cute thing and if people are into it, it could be fantastic.  Ditto PPs though about checking with your venue. 
  • Options
    I saw a cookie table at a wedding in Philly two years ago. It wasn't part of either couple's traditions (they're both from the Philly area) so I'm guessing it was the venue's idea. People loved it!

I know the cookies weren't homemade in this case. I don't remember the exact timing, but the tables weren't set up till after the main course. I think it was after the cake cutting so people could opt for a piece of wedding cake and/or cookies.
  • Options

Love that idea!  Hm, might use it too, and start a new Canadian tradition!

• Options
    Sounds fantastic!  Instead of a standard favor, I'd just provide to-go boxes so people can take home a sampling of their favorites, especially if there's going to be a lot of other food there.  (This is exactly what we're doing with our dessert buffet.)
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    I love the whole cookie thing.  We are doing cookies and milk served at the end of the reception as a mid-night snack.  They will serves chocolate chip cookies and milk in rock glasses, I was going to do champagne glasses but then please can't dunk...haha. I would do it at the end of the night and have around 3 cookies min per person.   
  • Options
    I'm from Pittsburgh, and family weddings ALL have cookie tables.  The amount usually is around 1/2 a dozen per guest, though I've seen as low as 4 and as high as a full dozen each.  Much depends on whether you want to provide boxes or bags to takeaway or just provide something for people to munch on post-dinner between dances. 

Ditto PP on keeping it covered until after dinner. 
  • Options
    I am a sales manager at a country club and I have allowed my brides to bring in cookies. They generally are put out after the wedding cake is served. Check with the facility first to see if they will allow you to bring in the cookies.

All the best...
  • Options
    Oh yeah in Eastern Ohio/Western PA it's a tradition. If you don't have a cookie table people WILL complain! We are doing one for ours. It's cool when people who are not from the area experience it cause we are all use to it, but watching their amazement at how many cookies can fit on one, two, or even more tables is hilarious!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards