Wedding Reception Forum

How long is too long for a reception??

My fiance and I are planning a reception and the hot debate for us is the reception.  I want dancing and a good time and he wants to have a chill and shoot the bull.  Trying to mesh the two "worlds" together.  Is a reception from 2 - 10 too long? is 2-8 more sutiable?

We are doing dinner and drinks.  Sorry this is so long!! I'm just kinda freakin out!!

Re: How long is too long for a reception??

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_long-long-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:0c1099a2-f28c-400c-b8ad-902050eeef6bPost:bf1bb427-27fb-47f2-8d47-6c4a02d2afb9">How long is too long for a reception??</a>:
    [QUOTE]My fiance and I are planning a reception and the hot debate for us is the reception.  I want dancing and a good time and he wants to have a chill and shoot the bull.  Trying to mesh the two "worlds" together.  Is a reception from 2 - 10 too long? is 2-8 more sutiable? We are doing dinner and drinks.  Sorry this is so long!! I'm just kinda freakin out!!
    Posted by BStill03[/QUOTE]

2-10 is too long.  2-8 is fine, since I think 5-6 hours is the norm (6 if there is a cocktail hour).  But I think you're time of the day is awkward.  The earliest I would start a reception where you are serving dinner is 4.  Do cocktail hour from 4-5, and then dinner can start around 5-5:30.  What about doing 4-10? 
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • I personally don't mind a short gap, but that would be way too long.  What about starting your reception at 12:30 or 1, depending on how long it takes to get there, and doing a lunch wedding.  You could do less food, and you could easily get away with just beer and wine earlier instead of a full open bar.  Then you could go until about 6, and people can go home for dinner. 
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • People are only going to want to spend 6-7 hours with you from start to finish at the max.  So a 2 hour gap means 2 hours less that they're going to want to party.  I think you're either looking at picking a different ceremony venue, or doing a 1-5 lunchtime reception.  But if people are getting there by about 11 for the ceremony, they're going to be toast by about 6 no matter what happens in the intervening hours.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • sarahlm619sarahlm619 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited November 2010
    I agree that 2 hours is a long gap, BUT...if your set on doing that...please make sure your guests know!!!  I went to a wedding last year where the invites let us know...I actually took a nap in that 2 hour gap...haha

However, went to another wedding this year where we were NOT informed...and actually the invite said "reception after the ceremony" -- which I FIGURED meant RIGHT after the ceremony...we sat around for 2 hours bored...

I know this isn't the answer to your original question, but figured I'd throw it out there! :)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • 2-10 is fine for me.  In my area, weddings usually last until midnight actually.  So, I look forward to spending all night with family and friends.  What time does your reception venue need you out by?  You still need to consider cleanup time too!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_long-long-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:0c1099a2-f28c-400c-b8ad-902050eeef6bPost:4666174a-c0bd-4327-96a6-d9036eb00b1b">Re: How long is too long for a reception??</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How long is too long for a reception?? : But that doesn't really allow for her desire to have dancing and fun.. it would only cater to his "chilling and chatting".. it's a tough call, that one..
    Posted by Sandytoes133[/QUOTE]

You can absolutely have dancing and fun at an afternoon reception. 
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_long-long-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:0c1099a2-f28c-400c-b8ad-902050eeef6bPost:4666174a-c0bd-4327-96a6-d9036eb00b1b">Re: How long is too long for a reception??</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How long is too long for a reception?? : But that doesn't really allow for her desire to have dancing and fun.. it would only cater to his "chilling and chatting".. it's a tough call, that one..
    Posted by Sandytoes133[/QUOTE]
    Ditto dnbeach.  They can also plan an afterparty with any guests who are still interested in partying late into the night.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • I would definately do a lunch/afternoon wedding-- I think your guests will appreciate eating after the ceremony! I've been to a wedding that started at 10am and the reception was brunch afterwards and then there was an afterparty after the reception at a family members house nearby. It was a lot of fun-- we just hung out, drank, played horseshoes and other outdoor games, and etc. I've danced and drank at brunches and afternoon weddings, there's no rule saying that it has to happen after a certain time!

So, how I think you should mesh the two: I would recommend doing the reception directly following the ceremony. I would do lunch and dancing for 4 hours or so, and then invite guests (it could just be close family and friends) to an after after party at someone house or whatnot for drinking, chilling and shooting the bull. Hope that helps! Good Luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards