Wedding Reception Forum

bottles of alcohol on tables

I know this sounds ridiculous... My fiance is Mexican decent and he was telling me about how in Mexico at parties they have bottles of alcohol on every table he really really wants to do this at our wedding reception and i kinda think it will look tacky but im not sure, is there any way i can make this look good? is this tacky? i'm not too sure what to do on this one we have come to aggreements on everything else i havent planned the decorations for the reception or anything yet so i am open to all ideas ... HELP  

Re: bottles of alcohol on tables

• A compromise could be to only have bottles of wine on the tables.
  • thats a great idea i'll talk to him about it but he really wants tequilla lol
  • I do not think it's tacky.. But it might be a libility issue.  I would check with your venue on that one.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Make sure your venue would even allow this.  Our venue had wine on the tables during dinner but never would have allowed full bottles of hard-liquor. In addition, the bar was closed during dinner so all that was available was soda/water/coffee, and the wine.
  • If the venue agrees to it, you could have waiters pass around shots of tequila in lieu of champagne for the toast.
  • If the venue allows it why not?I've been to a few weddings where there were either bottles of wine or hard alcohol on the table. 
  • Like pp said - make sure your venue allows it.I think that because he is of Mexican decent, it would be just fine to have tequila. Maybe attach your own labels or create some kind of tag to hang off of the neck of the bottle? You could have a little shot glass with a cut lime on it at each setting.
    Jan 2013 Mom's Siggy Challenge - Me and my Valentine <3<a href="http://tinypic.com?ref=111ig68" target="_blank">Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I don't think so. In Cambodian wedding receptions -- we have bottles of Hennessy & Heinekken. Just clear it with your venue first.
  • I think it's a cool idea. What if you put the alcohol in decorative bottles (labeled of course)? You could even mix up whole bottles of mojitos. That could honestly make really fun centrepieces.
  • MrsNFBMrsNFB member
    First Comment
    It doesn't sound ridiculous at all, it's actually pretty common at upscale places (especially upscale bars and nightclubs)...it's call bottle service. The presentation usually includes glasses, ice, mixers, etc (whatever is appropriate...with tequila, perhaps you have a nice little bowl of sliced limes and a salt shaker) - all the items are usually on a tray. If you do a search images of "bottle service," you'll see lots of ideas of how to do your presentation. Here's just one search I pulled up on yahoo: http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A0oGkz53q3NKdoEAKpRXNyoA?ei=UTF-8&p=bottle%20service&fr2=tab-web&fr=yfp-t-501 Good luck!
  • Ditto PP! Maybe you could just get pretty ice buckets to put them in?
  • Yes, check w/ the venue and all that. But as this is tradition for his family, I doubt any of them will find it tacky.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• I personally think it's kind of tacky, but it's definitely a tradition in many cultures.  If it's that important to him then I would check with the venue about rules and do it.  It is, afterall, his wedding too, and I'm sure he's not pitching a fit about centerpieces or placement of the cake, etc.  I say give it to him.
    image "Always love. Don't wail til the finish line."-Nada Surf
  • thanks you guys have definately given me some great ideas and input!!!
  • Integrate the liquor theme into your place settings.  Name each table after a liquor, then have the respective bottle as the centerpiece.  If it looks intentional, it wont look tacky.  His family should be honored with the nod to their tradition. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards