Wedding Reception Forum

alternative reception venues

Hi!  Can anyone give me ideas on where to have a wedding reception/ceremony that's off-the-beaten-path?  I'm looking for an alternative wedding site because it seems most of the places here, besides being expensive, also require outside catering.  We want to do a simple BBQ for our guests.  Our requirements are: outside (at least for the ceremony part), electricity, room for 150-200 people.I realize that you are not all in my area (Northern Utah) but maybe some general ideas on venues could do?Also we are doing a rockabilly/vintage theme so it'd be great if we could get a cool venue to match with that. (Otherwise we will just decorate the crap out of it) ;)Thanks!

Re: alternative reception venues

• There is a Utah board. 
  • I know that.  I'm not looking for specific locations.  I'm looking for general ideas. 
  • My DD was married at a golf club that has a 100 year old lodge where her reception was. My niece had her reception at an historic transportation museum. Family acquaintance just had their wedding in an art museum. How about movie theater or a barn? Is there a camp with a pavilion that could work? (The local ARC camp here rents their facilities for special events.) GL
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Check out Offbeat Bride for some examples of cool venues, as well as examples of rockabilly and vintage themed weddings.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • We are having ours at a nature center, with the ceremony outside & the reception in a barn. We are doing a BBQ as well! I guess just google anything you can think of, thats how i found my site.
  • We're getting married at a local park and having the reception in the larger park shelter. It has picnic tables and seating for up to 250, electricity & recently updated bathrooms. $45 to rent it. Nothing fancy and no candles or alcohol are allowed. It fits our casual/country theme. Maybe you could look at some parks in your area?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards